Cover image for University of Minnesota

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "The pay was low and there were often tedious projects to do that didn't seem to have much end value.(in 318 reviews)
  • "Long work hours and low salary(in 129 reviews)
  • "Parking is expensive so it is best if you live near campus and can take a bus in.(in 56 reviews)
  • "Poor management and organization of labs(in 48 reviews)
  • "Professors are not trained to be good managers, but this is true at all research universities(in 22 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of University of Minnesota and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0

Clear weather

Nov 28, 2022 - Graduate Research Assistant in Minneapolis, MN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Mostly clear sky, and lots of funny things near U.

Cons

Too cold during winter. Half of a year is winter basically.

2. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Inclusive... when it's convenient.

Nov 28, 2022 - Worked In Multiple Roles
    Business Outlook

Pros

More resources than most universities since it's a huge research institution. Opportunities for professional development, tuition benefits, EAP, etc. There are good communities here even though it's a large campus. Just takes a bit of work to find them. Definitely met some fantastic, impactful friends and role models while working here. (many have moved on, but glad our paths crossed)

Cons

Worked directly with HR and on many hiring committees. The amount of malpractice, confirmation bias, and frankly immaturity I witnessed from the folks reviewing/interacting with candidates was astounding. The U preaches "diversity, equity, and inclusion" when it benefits the brand, but absolutely does not prioritize this in practice. I heard horrifying comments about working parents, disabled talent (myself included -- do NOT work here if you have an ADA protected disability. Even if you receive accommodations people can be cruel), LGBTQ+ talent, religiously diverse talent... do I need to go on? It saddens me greatly to write this as I received two degrees from here and had a fantastic academic experience. At the end of the day, working here allowed me to obtain a degree and for that I'm thankful. It came at a huge price. My mental and physical health was beyond shot at the end of my run here. From a talent management perspective, all I can say is this place ran me into the ground. Checking all of the vitriol and bias from the majority became too exhausting. I won't forget the ugly comments made about dear colleagues, prospective talent, and (unfortunately) students, but I have learned a great deal from my time here.

3. Join the University of Minnesota team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 4.0

Great Job for Dispatcher

Nov 27, 2022 - 911 Dispatcher in Minneapolis, MN
    Business Outlook

Pros

laid back environment. great coworkers.

Cons

have to work weekends and overnight shifts. lots of employee turnover.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great management and schedule flexibility

Nov 26, 2022 - Part-time Student Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

They fully understand you are a student first

Cons

The pay is lagging behind Minneapolis standards

6. 3.0

Great for early career

Nov 26, 2022 - Assistant Professor in Minneapolis, MN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Supportive as far as resources, some colleagues are great

Cons

Departmental leadership does not have a vision and loses sight of needs of junior faculty .

7. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good but we should be payed more

Nov 26, 2022 - Teaching Assistant in Minneapolis, MN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexibility, nice staff, nice students, okay teachers to TA for

Cons

Rent prices are the same as the first half of your check. These prices need to be increased based on inflation

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Consistent, Safe and Secure.

Nov 25, 2022 - Director in Minneapolis-Saint Paul
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible Work Schedule, Development opportunities for advancement and on the Job Training!

Cons

Beau acratic policies delay projects.

9. 4.0

Scientist

Nov 21, 2022 - Research Scientist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Exciting research, cutting edge technology and intelligent coworkers.

Cons

Workload can make it difficult to have a life outside of work.

10. 5.0
    Former Employee

Good community

Nov 20, 2022 - Tutor in Minneapolis, MN
    Business Outlook

Pros

I enjoyed working with students

Cons

We could use more promotion around campus

11. 3.0

Poor pay

Nov 18, 2022 - Graduate Research Assistant in Minneapolis, MN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Awesome advisor. Excellent research. Excellent opportunities after graduation and even during school. Great insurance.

Cons

Poor pay. Poor dental/vision. Poor treatment by higher management.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 3,515 Reviews
</>Embed

University of Minnesota Reviews FAQs

University of Minnesota has an overall rating of 4.2 out of 5, based on over 3,749 reviews left anonymously by employees. 83% of employees would recommend working at University of Minnesota to a friend and 65% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -1% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, University of Minnesota employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.6 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at University of Minnesota. This rating has decreased by -2% over the last 12 months.

83% of University of Minnesota employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated University of Minnesota 4.0 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.0 for culture and values and 3.8 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at University of Minnesota to be culture, career development, benefits and the cons to be management, compensation.

Popular Careers with University of Minnesota Job Seekers

JobsSalariesInterviews

Work at University of Minnesota? Share Your Experiences

Reviews by Job Title

University of Minnesota Photos

+ Add Photo
University of Minnesota photo of: Welcome to the University of Minnesota.
University of Minnesota photo of: We are driven to discover.
University of Minnesota photo of: Extension brings Minnesotans together to build a better future through University science-based knowledge, expertise and training.
University of Minnesota photo of: Goldy Gopher joins an outdoor qigong class at the Farmers Market on the Twin Cities campus.
University of Minnesota photo of: "I came to the University for the benefits, and I’m staying at the University for the benefits."—Dwayne Holmes, Delivery Service Driver
University of Minnesota photo of: "As the natural areas gardener, I’m diversifying what we plant and incorporating hardy native species into our landscaping."—Alex Wegryzn
University of Minnesota photo of: Crookston faculty teach in a close-knit community that is both big enough for students to grow, and small enough to care about each student.

Expert Career Advice

General Mills

4.1

3,830 Reviews
Compare

Glassdoor has 3,749 University of Minnesota reviews submitted anonymously by University of Minnesota employees. Read employee reviews and ratings on Glassdoor to decide if University of Minnesota is right for you.