University of Missouri Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
University of Missouri President Timothy M. Wolfe
Timothy M. Wolfe

Pros
Cons
  • Going through to some major budget cuts that have affected stipends and healtcare (in 12 reviews)

• Frequently a fight to maintain benefits for the graduate students (in 11 reviews)

1. "Nice people, but intensely bureaucratic"

Former Employee - Program Assistant in Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Program Assistant in Columbia, MO

I worked at University of Missouri full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pleasant coworkers
    Standard work week with little to no overtime
    Good benefits
    Tons of sick time

Cons

Old-fashioned
    Bureaucratic
    Work was boring
    No recognition for anything other than years of service
    A lot of needless meetings

Advice to Management

Ditch the needless formalities and offer benefits that young people care about (flexible hours, alternative work spaces). Also make a better effort to deliver recognition to people in all departments and career levels, not just fundraising people.

2. "Service Captain- University Club of MU"

Former Employee - Service Captain in Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Service Captain in Columbia, MO

I worked at University of Missouri part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Free meals on breaks when food is left over from buffets
    -Fun coworkers (also students)
    -"Employee of the month" type awards, such as a free jacket or dining room lunch for two.
    -on campus location
    -limited upward mobility if interested
    -some ability to pick your own shifts
    -After Dining Room trained, you will be qualified to work at any nice restaurant in the future
    -Management is absolutely committed to the highest quality of guest experience.
    -In the Dining Room, you really get to know the regulars (usually influential university officials and professors). It's great to see them around town and stop for a chat even after I left the job.

Cons

-Management pushes you to upsell on drinks, expensive wine, etc., but encourages their guests not to top Dining Room staff. There is a "service charge" on receipts that management tells their guests goes to their server. It absolutely does not. It supposedly goes into a fund to help pay all servers the wage that is legally due to them. This is dishonest to their guests, and morally repugnant. This alone demonstrates the lowest respect for their servers.
    -You can work literally anywhere else in town making tips and make double the money.
    -Some members of the kitchen staff are inconsiderate, verbally abusive, and bring down any good atmosphere staff has been able to create that day.
    -No request off days on Easter, Mother's Day, Father's Day, and 10-15 hour shifts during finals week
    -Was told that my schoolwork always comes first, and can request off for studying. The one time I tried to do this (finals week my senior semester), I was scheduled anyway and told that if I didn't work the shifts I would be fired.
    -Extremely unclear about what they expect from employees to be promoted. No system in place. Management was unable to cite any real reasons when an employee asked why they hadn't been promoted, or what they could do to be considered for a promotion.

Advice to Management

If a server has the initiative to ask you about a promotion, give them clear, tangible, and achievable steps that they can take to earn more responsibility. Not all your servers care. These ones do.
    Be honest with your guests about tipping and the service charge on their receipt in the dining room. Most people would be horrified to learn that their server made no tip on a $400 meal when they thought they had tipped through the service charge. If this happened to me, I would never visit the restaurant again.
    If you say that you put students' education first, mean it.

3. "Expand your skills... just don't expect to be paid for it"

Former Employee - Senior Communications Assistant in Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Senior Communications Assistant in Columbia, MO

I worked at University of Missouri full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The employees are generally nice and really care about creating a positive environment for student learning.

Cons

Thanks to state budget cuts and dwindling enrollment, pay raises are nonexistent (at least for those toward the bottom of the food chain). It's not uncommon for job duties to expand way beyond the scope of your original position, but good luck getting an appropriate title and raise for that work.

And, of course, the administration is a mess right now.

5. "Room for Improvement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO

Pros

Common: Decent benefits, verbose emails from leadership to CYA, facilities, job security (never ending paper pushing), burnt out/disengaged staff/faculty, and continuous budget cuts.

Cons

Rare: Action-driven leadership, accountability, personal responsibility, promotions, raises, acknowledgment, good parking, intra-departmental collaboration, forward thinking, funding, quality courses, responsive campus public relations, productivity, wasteful spending, national prominence, attaining talented recruits, and employee retainment.

Advice to Management

A critical review and action-driven promotion of leadership, policies, productivity, and accountability is necessary to move this campus forward. Operation under one mission.

6. "Environmental health and safety"

Current Employee - EHT in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - EHT in Columbia, MO

I have been working at University of Missouri full-time

Pros

Good customers to work with.

Cons

The pay is below average, management doesn't care and the university as a whole is crap.

7. "A job if you need it"

Current Contractor - Graduate Instructor in Saint Ann, MO
    Current Contractor - Graduate Instructor in Saint Ann, MO

I have been working at University of Missouri as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, tuition waiver, good experience

Cons

Low pay, low job security, students are not motivated

8. "Waste of time to go to work."

Former Employee - Web Development Intern in Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Web Development Intern in Columbia, MO

I worked at University of Missouri part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very laid back. Allowed me to do homework when I had free time. Work was easy.

Cons

Low pay. Low number of hours. Very little work to do. It felt like a waste of time to go in every day.

Advice to Management

Make sure the position you hire people for is actually necessary. I was pretty much just an overflow guy. Any work the upper level people couldn't finish went to me. And that work amount wasn't much. The thing is that I liked what I was doing. I wanted more, but there just wasn't enough. My position was superfluous, and they got rid of the position entirely after the semester was over.

9. "Research assistant"

Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Columbia, MO

I have been working at University of Missouri (Less than a year)

Pros

There are good people that work here.

Cons

The compensation is very low.

10. "PSR"

Current Employee - Patient Service Representative in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Patient Service Representative in Columbia, MO

I have been working at University of Missouri full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I do love working staying busy in a fast environment which this is. Good Culture and Values if everyone would follow.

Cons

Its not to bad to work here but what makes it bad is the people that I work around in the ER there's communication barriers between registration and the nurse staff as well as with the doctors which makes is stressful.

Advice to Management

Most Management is good.

11. "Maintenance"

Former Employee - Maintenance in Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Maintenance in Columbia, MO

I worked at University of Missouri (More than a year)

Pros

The University offers in state tuition with one year of employment. The job provides an option for early morning employment so as not to miss classes.

Cons

No pay raises, ever. The deal is no benefits or increase in pay. You can only work March to November since nothing really happens when the course is closed.