University of Missouri Reviews | Glassdoor

University of Missouri Reviews

Updated May 27, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • I just love the work environment of the company (in 43 reviews)

• Work-life balance is unbeatable (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Going through to some major budget cuts that have affected stipends and healtcare (in 12 reviews)

• Frequently a fight to maintain benefits for the graduate students (in 11 reviews)

1. "Graduate Research"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rolla, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rolla, MO

Pros

Small city with cheap cost of living

Cons

Not much support for graduate students who intend to go into academia after school

2. "Director of Event Services"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at University of Missouri full-time

Pros

great health benefits, well at least it started out that way

Cons

benefits are chipped away in financial struggle, raise freeze for all but 2 years of my 15 year tenure, security in your job however that is true for all employees regardless of job performance which makes getting the job done for those who care about the job difficult

Advice to Management

Invest in the employees who invest n the organization and cut the dead weight and things will run much smoother and morale will improve greatly.

3. "Digital Asset Librarian"

Former Employee - DATA MANAGER/LIBRARIAN in Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - DATA MANAGER/LIBRARIAN in Columbia, MO

I worked at University of Missouri full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people were great. I worked on campus and was involved in activities during my lunch and breaks such as the farmer's market, art and craft shows and employee development. Tuition is 75% off for employees and the other benefits are good.

Cons

In many places on campus, the student and their parents are always right/ don't have to follow the rules. This causes conflict between staff and students and between students and other students. Also there are a lot of politics on campus, both external and internal. Decisions aren't always the best but the most expedient. I was laid off and my position eliminated due to budget cuts, caused by a downturn of student enrollment and the state government "punishing" Mizzou for black activists by cutting their portion of the budget. Most of those laid off were low level staff, faculty and administrative higher ups were not effected. This is probably going to continue until the economy gets better. Most departments are getting to bare bones, so more work is being done by less people and it will probably just get worse.

Advice to Management

Get rid of some of the dead weight in administration and pour some of that money into staff salaries. People are underpaid and overworked at the low levels with administration having a lot of time on their hands for socializing and deal making.

5. "Beat job I've had yet"

Current Employee - Tutor in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Tutor in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at University of Missouri part-time

Pros

The hours are very flexible. The students you work with are usually extremely thankful and nice. Deffinently an enjoyable workplace.

Cons

The one rude student I did have was unbearable. They refused to care about my time or actually learning the material

Advice to Management

I have no advice I can think of something I'm typing here so I can make sure I reach the word minimum

6. "Graduate research assistant"

Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Arvada, CO
    Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Arvada, CO

I worked at University of Missouri part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was a good time working for Prof. Ching as a graduate research assistant

Cons

Be careful of HR. They may mess up your taxes.

7. "Geospatial Analyst Apprentice"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO

Pros

There is a good work environment.

Cons

Management can be difficult to deal with at times.

8. "Tour Guide"

Former Employee - Tour Guide in Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Tour Guide in Columbia, MO

I worked at University of Missouri (More than a year)

Pros

Working for the University of Missouri Tour Team is a life changing experience. I have met some of the best people you could possibly imagine.

Cons

They are not any downfalls to the position other than compensation. As a part-time college student the perks are amazing!

Advice to Management

Management is awesome. The person who runs the office does a great job of facilitating training and making sure her employees are the best in the field.

9. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Columbia, MO

Pros

Helpful faculty, nice people, great place to work.

Cons

College town, bad bars in the city. Otherwise no cons.

10. "Great Working Enviroment and Benefits"

Former Employee - IT Manager in Portland, MO
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Portland, MO

I worked at University of Missouri full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are awesome! Salaries are average for the area, but could be higher for some hard to find skill sets. IT top management is great and were awesome to work for. Could not ask for better managers in IT.

Cons

Salaries in some technical areas could be higher. Some typical large state university politics, but the IT department seemed to be insulated from it.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Salaries in certain technical areas could be better.

11. "Mizzou is doing a lot to make life better for graduate assistants"

Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Columbia, MO

I worked at University of Missouri part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Mizzou leadership has done a lot to improve salaries for graduate assistants since I first started in 2011. Additionally, they continue to offer paid health insurance. While each department is different, in my department, leadership saw grad assistants as students first, and most faculty were flexible if you needed more time for your studies at critical times in the semester, as long as you were willing to make up for it if asked to do something extra during slower times. I was always given real research work to do, and very little in the way of administrative tasks such as copying.

Cons

Currently, most assistantships run for only 9 months and it can be difficult to find a summer appointment. Also, because of new employment rules, you are limited to working 28 hours per week, and most jobs are 20 or 10, so you can work two positions, but you'll only get paid for 28 hours.

Advice to Management

Continue to improve working conditions for graduate assistants. Making appointments year-round would make a big difference for many students and allow more students to consider Mizzou for their graduate studies.