University of Nebraska Reviews in Nebraska | Glassdoor

University of Nebraska Nebraska Reviews

Updated March 24, 2017

Nebraska

Rating Trends Rating Trends
University of Nebraska President Hank M. Bounds, Ph.D.
Hank M. Bounds, Ph.D.

Pros
  • Great co-workers who are excellent at training, relaxed work environment, free gym membership (in 7 reviews)

• Good benefits and interesting projects to work on (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Very restrictive atmosphere, very low pay for employees who aren't in management (in 4 reviews)

• If you aren't faculty, don't expect a decent paycheck unless you're at an executive level (in 6 reviews)

1. "University of Nebraska-Children's Center"

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Lincoln, NE
    Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Lincoln, NE

I worked at University of Nebraska part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours: being part of the university they understand and support your schedule, this is really great especially if you are in school and need to update it often.
    Minimum requirement: when I applied the only requirement for a part-time teacher is one or two courses in early childhood education. Great if you don't have much experiences.
    Great facilities: compare to some of the other daycare centers in town, they have great equipment and facilities for the kids, which means less safe guarding for the teachers.

Cons

No training: I started right after the interview, no training or observation. I think because of the education courses requirement they probably expect you to know from textbook about the basics of child care. That being said, if you have never worked in a daycare, you might find yourself making a lot of mistakes that could really have been catastrophic, especially for the parents and children (caring for a baby, safety concerns, that sort of stuff). They will obviously point it out when you do something wrong, but up until recently when I had to go through standard paid training at another daycare, I had realized how useful it would've been if I had the same training when I started with the Children's Center.

Environment: because they hire a lot of college students, the working environment can be a little unprofessional. I have seen a lot of the assistant teachers sitting around and gossiping instead of interacting with children. And when there is a small conflict, it can turn into some unnecessary drama. But it really depends on who you work with. Most of the lead teachers are really professional and supportive.

2. "Employee"

Current Employee - Research Associate in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Omaha, NE

I have been working at University of Nebraska full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and interesting projects to work on.

Cons

Low Pay, not benefits, disorganized management.

Advice to Management

Better organization

3. "Stable work environment"

Current Employee - IT in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - IT in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at University of Nebraska full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a great place if you want stable work environment, steady income, and continuous work.

Cons

It's a great example of how convoluted the Education system is. Very difficult to overcome obstacles if you want to get anything done. If you aren't faculty, don't expect a decent paycheck unless you're at an executive level. You can't move up/get promoted as staff unless you follow their training programs.

Advice to Management

Consider evaluating available resources and promoting an environment where alternative ideas are a good thing. It's embarrassing to walk into a position only to discover that you've gone back 5 years in time from your previous position.

4. "Training Coordinator"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roca, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roca, NE

I have been working at University of Nebraska (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice place to work. Good benefits

Cons

Promote a lot within.

Advice to Management

If you have a good employee, let them know it.

5. "This company is regularly abusive, petty, and entrenched in mediocrity."

Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Lincoln, NE
    Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Lincoln, NE

I worked at University of Nebraska full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They offer more money to graduate students than a lot of universities.

Cons

The location is not great for those going into the arts.

Advice to Management

Grade inflation requirements for graduate students to get a B- are not helpful. Abusive practices in the areas of assignment scheduling and grading are common. Top talent is attracted by the money but leaves quickly when confronted by the current staff.

6. "Research"

Current Employee - Histology Technician in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Histology Technician in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at University of Nebraska full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, laid back atmosphere

Cons

Not enough to keep busy

Advice to Management

More communication, challenges

7. "University of Nebraska system"

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Omaha, NE

I have been working at University of Nebraska full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

it is a normal state univerisity as normal as most other state univiersities in Mid-west area.

Cons

It is located in mid-west which is considered as a big country yard. No doubt, it is realy a contryside land.

8. "good"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, NE

Pros

good office, nice colleagues, and nice staff

Cons

winter big snow, too little activities

Advice to Management

Give international students more guides to adapt to the life here, give them more chances to know about united states.

"Very relaxed environment but severely low salaries."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, NE

Pros

Typically the environment is extremely laid back and relaxed, relaxed deadlines, relaxed management. Nothing "mission critical" to get done in most cases. Nice incentive to go back and further education with the employee scholarship program.

Cons

As of late in my own experience is that the environment in our college is changing, wanting more activators moving things forward, more fast paced work environment, getting things done, strict deadlines, asking to put in overtime, etc. The problem being we are not being compensated for our extra work, and are severely underpaid judging by regional averages the way it is.

Advice to Management

Don't grandfather your employees in at low salaries with minimal expectations for raises (3% annually if we are lucky). Your good employees know they are worth more and will find other jobs elsewhere, and you will be stuck with the slackers and non-achievers, who instead of getting canned seem to get promoted to the head of their own department.

"Underpaid and overworked."

Current Employee - Student Worker in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Student Worker in Lincoln, NE

Pros

Flexible hours, looks good on a resume, great co-workers and direct supervisors. A very fun and active working environment that gives you a lot of contact with people and events.

Cons

Students make minimum wage, regardless of how much more qualified they are than other workers. No room for advancement or recognition of good performance. Poor higher management, using any excuse to continue paying next to nothing, but still giving you more work.

Advice to Management

Students workers are the reason why the office continues to function. Many of them do more work than the permanent positions, yet do not get paid nearly enough for our amount of contribution. The workplace is a lot of fun and promotes ethics, but many underlying issues exist.