University of New England Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

University of New England President Danielle N. Ripich
Danielle N. Ripich

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "4+1 Master's program needs work"

Current Employee - Student in Biddeford, ME
    Current Employee - Student in Biddeford, ME

I have been working at University of New England full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Encouraging environment and helpful professors.

Cons

Poor compensation. Did not receive a stipend and was charged for tuition as a part of the 4+1 masters program and had to take out loans.

Advice to Management

4+1 master's students should receive a stipend, or at least have the full tuition amount waived.

2. "Meh."

Current Employee - Office Manager in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Office Manager in Portland, ME

I have been working at University of New England full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I like that work stays at work, and I like the routine. The benefits that the university gives are great, too.

Cons

The administration is a bit corrupt and the campus isn't diverse--it doesn't try all too hard to be more inclusive, either.

"Micromanagment and Harrassement at it's best"

Former Employee - Mid Level Staff in Portland, ME
    Former Employee - Mid Level Staff in Portland, ME

I worked at University of New England full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great medical benefits and vacation time,

Cons

Employees will need the benefits due to the lack of professionalism, stress from micro-management, cat and mouse games with expectations, favoritism, and passive- aggressive harassment management style. This is not a humanistic environment.

Advice to Management

for managers actually get them some management training. stop picking on minuscule items.

4. "Internship"

Former Employee - Aquaculture Lab Manager in Myers Flat, CA
    Former Employee - Aquaculture Lab Manager in Myers Flat, CA

I worked at University of New England (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great staff to work for, awesome location.

Cons

Doesn't always seem like staff get the appreciation they deserve.

5. "Nice environment, organization... Not so much"

Current Employee - Clinical Assistant Professor in Biddeford, ME
    Current Employee - Clinical Assistant Professor in Biddeford, ME

I have been working at University of New England part-time

Pros

Nice and friendly environment. Chairs very engaged and colleagues really passionate about the work

Cons

The career progress is not clear and your atributes change as they need. No research investment or conditions at all. Expect you to work in your free time to cover what they don't give enough conditions to do.

Advice to Management

More investment in faculty

"Thankless Employer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Biddeford, ME
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Biddeford, ME

I worked at University of New England (More than 5 years)

Pros

Athletic/Health facilities were wonderful. Students are terrific. Most staff (not management) are great. Beautiful campus. Good severance pay policy.

Cons

If you're working in the health professions, UNE is OK. I worked at UNE as the head of a (non- health professions) department for 5 years. Loved my direct supervisor, but the higher-level management couldn't care less about their employees - Bottom line/budget cuts rule all! I was hired to start programs and oversee an area of courses. None of the programs I started were running the year I was hired. By the time I left, we were running two FULL sections of two programs, plus 3 other new programs, and my area had brought in a number of new freshmen. The management wasn't willing to give time or support to the 3 newer programs, even though the programs were great recruiting vehicles for new students. After they "downsized" me (and my assistant), they never replaced me, the 3 newest programs died. The other two (with the 2 full sections, when I was there) are running, but at half the size. Does this tell you anything?
    I loved working at UNE, was a true-blue, loyal employee, and saw myself working there until retirement. I got very good evaluations. However, when I went full-time (shortly after being hired, and under a different dean, who left shortly thereafter), I was started at the bottom of my salary range. When I left, 5 years later, I was basically still at the bottom of that salary range, even with cost-of-living increases. Does that tell you anything?
    When I was downsized, my daughter was applying to colleges - all colleges in the network that UNE belongs to (300 colleges) for which employees have a chance to get free tuition for their kids. I am a single parent, so this was a VERY big deal. I was let go the fall of my daughter's senior year, and we had to withdraw our application to the college tuition network. Bye-bye possible free tuition!
    During the meeting with my Dean and the HR staff person, I was told that the decision to lay me off was "nothing personal," that I had done a great job in my position, and that they wanted to keep me on campus, so HR would work with me to find me another position on either campus. I had ONE job interview at UNE after that (which, by the way, I left feeling like it had gone extremely well, and that I had the job "in the bag" - the interviewer gave me every reason to think I was basically hired), and never heard from an HR person again, unless I emailed them first. That one job interview? I had to bug HR to find out whether I was still in the running - The Dean who had interviewed me had gone off to Europe for a few weeks and no one had bothered to get back to me r.e. my status.
    Happy ending: After leaving UNE, I found a great job that I love, working for people who value me. There ARE still places like that out there!!!

Advice to Management

Value employees who really care about the University. Don't make promises to those who are leaving, if you don't really intend to keep those promises, or at least, check back with HR to make sure the employee is getting the help he/she deserves!

7. "good work place"

Current Employee - Lecturer in Biddeford, ME
    Current Employee - Lecturer in Biddeford, ME

Pros

Good benefits, small class sizes

Cons

Cold weather and snow. Traveling can be a mess.

8. "Human Resource Generalist"

Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Biddeford, ME
    Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Biddeford, ME

I worked at University of New England (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work great benefits.

Cons

none great place to work

"Staff Assistant"

Current Employee - Staff Assistant in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Staff Assistant in Portland, ME

I have been working at University of New England (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of vacation time and most coworkers are wonderful people to work with.

Cons

Management devalues staff with low pay and disregard for effort and ambition. The University cares more about its image than about what it offers, and staff and students suffer.

Advice to Management

Start caring about staff and students. Stop viewing staff as expendable and easily replaceable. Do not take students for granted. Your culture needs to change! A new president, perhaps?

10. "UNECOM - There is always room for improvment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Biddeford, ME
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Biddeford, ME

I have been working at University of New England full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits. Financially sound. Passionate and talented employees.

Cons

Slow moving. Hard to advance. Poor organization structure

Advice to Management

Hire a few people who are willing to stick to what they say they are going to do. There is no room to back down if you want to be preeminent.