University of North Carolina Reviews in North Carolina | Glassdoor

University of North Carolina North Carolina Reviews

Updated June 24, 2017

North Carolina

Pros
  • great work-life balance, flexibility in scheduling to honor student schedules (in 24 reviews)

• Benefits are good if you are covering "employee only (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • University gives little to no oversight or support for higher level courses compared to what is available for entry level courses (in 9 reviews)

• Limited room for advancement, low pay (in 15 reviews)

1. "Standard Gap-Year Research Job"

Current Employee - Research Technician in Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Research Technician in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at University of North Carolina full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mildly flexible work hours (some days can be 8-7, some can be 10-4)

Surrounded by intelligent, industrious researchers.

Cons

The pay is as bad as it is at any academic institution. No one argues that it should compete with industry standards, which can be 50-100% more in mid-level positions like a technician or research associate.

Advice to Management

Universities need to implement and/or improve the role of hiring managers/administrators to help extremely intelligent researchers with their complete incompetence surrounding administrative knowledge and responsibilities.

2. "Standard Post-doctoral Research Fellowship"

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Chapel Hill, NC

Pros

I worked as a Post-doctoral Research Fellow in the chemistry department. Many labs are in the new chemistry building(s), such as Venable Hall. Great opportunities to network with scientists in other labs. It was a positive experience.

Cons

I was paid less than the NIH standard for postdocs at the time. I worked long hours but that was mostly self-imposed.

3. "Graduate Research assistant"

Former Employee - Graduate Research/Teaching Assistant in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Graduate Research/Teaching Assistant in Charlotte, NC

I worked at University of North Carolina (Less than a year)

Pros

Good environment to work and it is challenging at times which brings up the best in you.

Cons

At times there is less work to do and at times the exact opposite of it. Otherwise its easy going

4. "Great Work Study Program"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at University of North Carolina as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy job at the library, it's the perfect job for work study students that allowed me to work on classes when the circulation desk wasn't busy.

Cons

Not much was a con working in the library -- shelving was somewhat tedious but fairly painless and easy to learn generally.

Advice to Management

I don't have any advice to management other than to say they were great and "pay" was commensurate with the work that I had to do.

5. "Research Assistant"

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at University of North Carolina (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice team and very friendly work environment. Everyone you encounter was nice and helpful.

Cons

The commute was awful. Driving into Chapel Hill and either park and ride or using the deck was really difficult. Other than that, no real complaints

"Mixed bag"

Current Employee - Bioinformatics Analyst in Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Bioinformatics Analyst in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at University of North Carolina full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Beautiful campus.
    Great part of the country to live in and raise a family.
    They have a lot of resources and connections for bioinformatics research.
    I've had the freedom to push my skill set in the direction I want it to go.
    It's satisfying to know the work you are doing could directly impact people's lives.

Cons

Low pay.
    Poor benefits.
    The admin and hr is ineffective and overbearing.
    If you are categorized as an SHRA employee, you are limited in what consulting work you can do on the side.
    The gym/shower facilities are a 20 min walk away, so exercising during a break isn't an option.
    Lots of chatter around the work area makes it hard to focus at times.
    Academic environments are often blatantly oppressive and intolerant of people with religious beliefs. UNC is no different.

7. "Graduate Research Assistant"

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at University of North Carolina (More than a year)

Pros

It is a good opportunity to keep in touch with the reality of professional world, a additional way to learn and practice theories we are acquiring as student and an interesting mean to complete the financial needs.

Cons

Necesity of better manage the time between job and class assignments

Advice to Management

Need to be organized

8. "Better than Duke!!!"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at University of North Carolina full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Greatest university in the world. I wouldn't give anything for the opportunities it has presented me

Cons

It's academia, so good luck feeling good about yourself and your underpaid status!

9. "Great campus, great community"

Former Employee - Research Coordinator in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Employee - Research Coordinator in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at University of North Carolina full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and beautiful campus. UNC is very research focused and has supports in place to facilitate this well. While parking is limited, there are a lot of low cost transportation options.

Cons

Parking is very limited and expensive so don't plan on parking close. However, the transit system is really nice - very reliable and runs throughout the day (Chapel Hill Transit and Triangle Transit Authority).

Advice to Management

Have a better system in place to support research staff working on grants. There needs to be a way for staff to be able to give feedback on supervisors outside of in person meetings with them where there isn't space or comfort to share honest feedback.

10. "Overall great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC

Pros

Despite the size of the University, there is a congenial atmosphere around campus. The diversity also lends to the experience as well. There is an array of resources available to researchers and faculty.

Cons

The Environmental Engineering program is not ABET accredited and only contains graduate students, which makes teaching opportunities hard to come by due to the limited number of courses offered.

Advice to Management

To create a University wide program that enables postdoctoral associates who would like to teach gain experience in the classroom.