University of North Carolina Reviews in North Carolina | Glassdoor

University of North Carolina North Carolina Reviews

Updated April 20, 2017

North Carolina

Pros
  • great work-life balance, flexibility in scheduling to honor student schedules (in 23 reviews)

• Benefits are good if you are covering "employee only (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • University gives little to no oversight or support for higher level courses compared to what is available for entry level courses (in 9 reviews)

• Limited room for advancement, low pay (in 15 reviews)

1. "Better than decent, for state employment."

Current Employee - Research Technician in Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Research Technician in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at University of North Carolina full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The UNC system provides excellent benefits. These include the standard retirement, health insurance. In addition, there is also access to on-campus resources: libraries, gyms, computer services. Full-time employees may enroll, free of charge, in two university courses per year.

Cons

Promotions and salary increases are rare. While individual offices and departments may function normally, human resources seems to move at a glacial pace.

Advice to Management

Maintain a strong culture of academic independence in the face of challenges. Continue commitment to diversity and promoting student success.

2. "Research Assistant"

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at University of North Carolina (Less than a year)

Pros

Get to work on latest technologies

Cons

Lot of work needs to be done for this position

3. "Good place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at University of North Carolina full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

weather people school research students

Cons

money
    lack of fellowships
    have to leave after K99
    5 years of postdoc

Advice to Management

let stay after K99
    have grants for postdoc

5. "Good place to work!"

Current Employee - Instructional Design & Support Consultant in Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Instructional Design & Support Consultant in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at University of North Carolina full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Years ago I decided that if I ever decided to go to work for "someone else" again (I was self-employed as a consultant for many years), that UNC would be one of my top choices. After working with them as an external consultant in the past, I recently accepted a full-time role as an internal consultant and am enjoying it so far. The atmosphere is collegial, it is a nice community, scheduling is flexible, and I have always felt welcomed and appreciated by the people I have worked with. Benefits are good if you are covering "employee only."

Cons

Pay is well below the industry average, and I underestimated how much money I would have to pay out between parking, a mandatory retirement contribution, and high costs for family member health care coverage for family members who would not have it otherwise.

Advice to Management

I know that you don't have as much leeway in pay scales as private industry because of state budget issues, but if you want to attract and retain top talent for non-faculty positions (e.g., ops, techs, and other specialists), please consider reviewing your salary scales. You are barely at the median!

6. "Need to create your own opportunities"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral in Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral in Chapel Hill, NC

Pros

Good access to Office of Postdoctoral Affairs, great Student Health services. Flexible mentorship that allowed me to pursue own research.

Cons

School did not really integrate postdocs well into all of the opportunities to benefit from them or include them. Could be isolating at times. Difficult to obtain research support services and grant management.

Advice to Management

Better coordination of postdoc positions

7. "Office Assistant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at University of North Carolina part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, fun town to live in. Interesting projects. Good work life balance. Was able to build a good network and this looked good on my resume.

Cons

None that come to mind. Maybe the pay, but otherwise I really enjoyed working at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

8. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Student Services Specialist in Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Student Services Specialist in Chapel Hill, NC

Pros

Great co-workers (although depends on the department, but generally great). Good benefits and work environment.

Cons

Very rare to get a raise or a bonus. Do not expect your salary to increase at all.

9. "System Administrator"

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at University of North Carolina (Less than a year)

Pros

Work life balance is great. The atmosphere for most of the university encourages education.

Cons

Pay is not competitive with private sector. There are little to no career growth opportunities.

10. "Student Computer Technician"

Current Employee - BraveTech in Pembroke, NC
    Current Employee - BraveTech in Pembroke, NC

I have been working at University of North Carolina part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Its self paced for the majority of the job, hours are flexible

Cons

Not able to work along side classes and make a sustainable amount

Advice to Management

Screen employees better

11. "Data Manager/Programmer"

Former Employee - Data Manager/Programmer in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Employee - Data Manager/Programmer in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at University of North Carolina full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Independent but team environment focused on objectives of the study. While there is an obvious interest to conduct the research in the most cost-effective manner, rarely if ever did it adversely affect the research. The research team genuinely was interested in professional growth and encouraged research staff to take advantage of any/all university resources to develop new or improve skill sets.

Cons

Having to pay for parking on campus was a minor drawback. The position I was hired for was grant-funded so you had to continue to publish and re-compete for funding.

Advice to Management

Keep you business model as-is. I gained a tremendous amount of experience in my career in a short amount of time, but most of all I gained a new perspective on what to look for in prospective employment opportunities.