University of North Dakota Reviews in Grand Forks, ND | Glassdoor

Grand Forks, ND Area

3.9
Mark R. Kennedy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexible scheduling to fit around classes (in 7 reviews)

• Good benefits and competitive pay (3% pay increase guaranteed) (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Also, pretty low pay (but it's still above minimum so not much to complain about) (in 5 reviews)

• Negative climate due to budget cuts, and nickname change (in 4 reviews)

1. "Teaching Assistant"

Current Employee - Undergraduate Teaching Assistant in Grand Forks, ND
    Current Employee - Undergraduate Teaching Assistant in Grand Forks, ND

I have been working at University of North Dakota part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The professor I teach for is an extraordinary person professionally and personally. He always makes sure we are prepared and understand lectures and labs before we encounter the students. He is not in control of compensation, but he is very generous with doughnuts for our weekly meetings and beer and dinner at the end of the semester!

Cons

Budget cuts have made it difficult to update equipment, proper benefits/compensation.

2. "Great Aviation Starter Job!"

Current Employee - Certified Flight Instructor in Grand Forks, ND
    Current Employee - Certified Flight Instructor in Grand Forks, ND

I have been working at University of North Dakota full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of Flight time for those looking to build hours. This far outweighs the perceived lower level of compensation. Oh and the oldest aircraft in the fleet is from 2008 and they are getting brand new 2017 aircraft with the latest avionics.

Cons

Pay can seem to be lower. However you get a lot more hours than at other flight schools and you get exposed to a lot more students, styles of learning, and weather. Oh by the way, it is North Dakota. It is COLD in the winter.

Advice to Management

I would definitely not be looking for jobs if the pay was more consistent. Some other schools have put all CFIs on salary and their retention is higher.

3. "Assistant Director"

Current Employee - Assistant Director in Grand Forks, ND
    Current Employee - Assistant Director in Grand Forks, ND

I have been working at University of North Dakota full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, including fully paid health insurance

Cons

Budget Cutting - you are always in fear of losing your job

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like they matter, hire from within when opportunities come up

4. "Great People, Tough Climate"

Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Grand Forks, ND
    Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Grand Forks, ND

I worked at University of North Dakota part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Extremely helpful co-workers
    Lots of opportunities for growth
    Easy accessibility to faculty and administration
    Cheap cost of living

Cons

Negative climate due to budget cuts, and nickname change
    Split political views

5. "UND"

Former Employee - Professor in Grand Forks, ND
    Former Employee - Professor in Grand Forks, ND

I worked at University of North Dakota full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A medium quality education with exception of aviation and rural medicine (excellent).

Cons

The state cut budgets to the point of faculty loosing positions and depleting departments of full potential of it's intended goals: education

Advice to Management

"Man up" and confront the state for decent funding

6. "Good School. Getting better"

Current Contractor - Research Assistant in Grand Forks, ND
    Current Contractor - Research Assistant in Grand Forks, ND

I have been working at University of North Dakota as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Decent city. Safe community. Best school in ND. Hockey games are fun.

Cons

weather is terribly cold + windy 7 months of the year.
    Not necessarily a very high tier university.

Advice to Management

New president is taking steps in the right direction. Less focus on the extra-curricular admin, more focus on infrastructure for higher caliber research and education.

7. "UND has its upside, but is on a downslide"

Current Employee - Associate Professor in Grand Forks, ND
    Current Employee - Associate Professor in Grand Forks, ND

I have been working at University of North Dakota full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I am (tenure track) faculty, and at UND faculty usually have a say in their annual goals and job description. There is a fair amount of flexibility in this job. It is a great place to be if you are one of the "desired" faculty -- aviation, engineering, business, medicine, law, or biology. If you are not in one of these fields, then be prepared to be treated as a pointless burden to society. Still, if you are on a tenure track you can get decent pay, some job security, and some great colleagues (i.e. instructors/professors and staff). I appreciate the benefits, such as health insurance and TIAA/CREF retirement, with some of the retirement funds put in by my employer. Also, there is a tuition break if you or an immediate family member takes classes here. I also appreciate the incremental raises and opportunities for me to do community service.

Cons

The money is tight and enrollments are down. Even before that started, the administration started a downslide about three or four years ago and seems to have no united vision for the university. The physical climate is harsh, sure, but the main problem is that campus climate is poor (I wrote this late in 2016). The demands on my time & peace of mind are such that the job is negatively impacting my health, which is not a good sign.

Advice to Management

Get rid of some of those new vice presidents who don't really do much and get a new provost. Create a vision and plan that everyone at the university can get behind, instead of sowing despair and suspicion. A return to a concentration on learning and teaching would go a long way to solving many of the current problems. I get the feeling that all that the administrators are doing is padding their resumes so that they can get better jobs elsewhere (no matter how much that harms UND in the short- and long-term). Please prove me wrong. PS: our "CEO" (pres) is no longer Ed Schafer, as currently listed on GlassDoor.

8. "It support"

Current Employee - Network Administrator in Grand Forks, ND
    Current Employee - Network Administrator in Grand Forks, ND

I have been working at University of North Dakota (More than 3 years)

Pros

good benefits for families. nice people and nice place to work. in general people are friendly and nice..

Cons

salaries are not good. compare to other universities, und is one of the worst for salary.

Advice to Management

too many management. not very organized and too much politics going on. things can change for no reason in good or way..

9. "Campus Tour Guide"

Former Employee - Tour Guide in Grand Forks, ND
    Former Employee - Tour Guide in Grand Forks, ND

Pros

Flexible hours and good work/life balance

Cons

Minimum wage pay and limited hours

Advice to Management

Increase pay

10. "Very friendly environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Forks, ND
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Forks, ND

I have been working at University of North Dakota (Less than a year)

Pros

With a friendly boss, friendly co-workers and a good payment (as an on-campus institutional job), anyone will have a good time working here

Cons

The only con I can think of is having a computer which is not that fast. Sometimes the computer is the only thing which makes the work take a long time

Advice to Management

I would advise giving newer computers to all the staff in the office.