University of Nottingham Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Professor David Greenaway

Pros
Cons
  • Research funding is quite focused on getting as many PhD students as you can (in 4 reviews)

• Short working hours, and no pay for lunch time (in 4 reviews)

1. "It was a priceless experience."

Pros

Well renowned group of people to work with.

Cons

Less opportunities for international students.

"OK if you've got no other options."

Pros

Nottingham is a cheap place to live, expanding University, nice buildings.

Cons

No culture, systems (appraisal, review, flexible working hours etc.) are non-standardised and generally not very helpful, people more interested in promoting themselves then developing research with an impact.

Advice to Management

I would imagine in a University, staff are one of the biggest assets as they drive student numbers and satisfaction; might be an idea to treat them as such.

"Post-doc"

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow
    Former Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow

I worked at University of Nottingham full-time

Pros

Good professional development scheme, beautiful campus.

Cons

It depends on the group, but in my experience it is the bullies and clique members who tend to be retained and promoted. Bullying tactics involve undermining, ignoring, excluding, withholding information, sabotage, mobbing, passive aggression and blocking career progression opportunities for non-favourites. Unfortunately, the victims can be reluctant to speak out for fear of losing their job-and the bullies know this.

Advice to Management

To actively discourage bullying. Allow staff to appraise the performance of their bosses.

Please recognise that people who are bullied are not always bad at their job and could potentially make a great contribution, if not for the toxic work environment and poor management. Also, bullies can also take an instant dislike to a new colleague and decide to be obstructive from day one, often very subtly. This surely fallsl foul of the university's equality and diversity policy.

"Strengths but also weaknesses and poor practice"

Former Employee - Lecturer in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Lecturer in Nottingham, England (UK)

I worked at University of Nottingham full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

In many ways they are a great employer. Good campus, beautiful buildings, obvious investment in key areas. Good communications to staff and development centre/learning and good at technology enhanced learning plans.

Cons

Bullying cultures exist, particularly in some schools including the one I worked in and this gets covered up. Too much bending from pressure from students and not supporting academic decisions and parity amongst all. Too much focus on research and in some schools teaching seen as a second class, rather than where most income comes from. Poor leadership in the school I worked in.I am all for not having a divide between academic and admin staff, but, in SON particularly this is taken to the extreme and there is too much management from that side making academic decisions and undermining academics. Thats not balance. It should be collaborative. I found you were fine if your face fitted and this could swap and change at quick speed.

Advice to Management

Don't let administration posts become senior to academics and make academic decisions, we would not make admin decisions. Take staff morale seriously. Get better management with management training in place. Stop the bullying culture that exists in some schools.

6. "Not recommended for research"

Pros

A UK system university in China, which contains both culture and features from China and UK, it is not a bad choice for study

Cons

It is not a good choice for research and work since the environment and academic staffs are all not very excellent

Advice to Management

Need more people and staff from other countries, rather than recruiting more and more Chinese with a oversea degree.

7. "Could be better given its overseas reach"

Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Nottingham, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Nottingham (More than 3 years)

Pros

Access to research opportunities, international brand with multiple campuses. Opportunity for inter-campus mobility. Part of universitas 21.

Cons

Poor working culture. Middle management is characterised by insouciance. Failure to engage with staff in a meaningful way. Lacking in will to push through change.

8. "Nothing special..."

Current Employee - Research Fellow in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Research Fellow in Nottingham, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Nottingham full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a relaxed environment, and living in Nottingham is quite easy! The campus is good and there are some good companies funding research projects.

Cons

I find it is a typical university. Research funding is quite focused on getting as many PhD students as you can. I have found that technicians, admin staff and academics are quite separated, and this makes things uncomfortable sometimes.

Advice to Management

Education and research should not only be a business

9. "unstructured management for post graduates"

Current Employee - PhD Student in Sutton Bonington, England (UK)
    Current Employee - PhD Student in Sutton Bonington, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Nottingham full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent extra curricular facilities

Cons

Poorly developed structure for postgraduate study. Little emphasis placed on research funding or improving postgraduate facilities. Vet school dept only. ..

Advice to Management

improve structure of management and provide better support for postgrads

10. "Not what was sold to me"

Current Employee - Barman and Undergraduate Student
    Current Employee - Barman and Undergraduate Student

I have been working at University of Nottingham part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Social live within the city is great and the societies are great.

Cons

The halls are hugely overpriced, quality of campus food is low and very overpriced, especially on the Sutton Bonington campus. Meal cards used for Main campus students cannot be used at Sutton Bonington, Access to building is restricted to say the least and even my own schools doors are in accessible after 6pm.
    Poorly run courses with the few exceptions of 1 or 2 talented lecturers. Was promised a course that would broaden my employability options, this is true mainly due to the fact nobody within my degree knows what jobs they could get as we haven't learnt anything to a level appropriate to the work place of many students ideal career paths. As well as a student I have also been an employee. They treat casual staff as though mean nothing to them and take no advise that we on the front line know would work. As for full time staff they too revive no voice in the decisions made by management and they wonder why things fall apart and there are mass communications problems over every sector of the university. Pay for full time staff is disproportionately low compared to that of CEO's and deputy principles, no wonder staff strike when top staff earn in excess of 200k a year.
    Furthermore the hopper bus situation is dismal, buses to Sutton bonington are late and often do not turn up and so many students, researchers and professors have complained about this but to no avail.

Advice to Management

Listen to those on the front line
    Don't lie about what your University offers
    Better communication is essential
    Sort out the busses

"PhD fellowship/ teaching + research assistant"

Former Employee - PhD Researcher in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - PhD Researcher in Nottingham, England (UK)

I worked at University of Nottingham full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

the best thing about the university is that it has got prominent scholars in the field, they also have excellent postgraduate support in terms of language and have great courses on

Cons

you are treated neither a staff nor a student and you are not treated as an early researcher either, with the lack of support. i have not received any training in terms of where and how to publish my articles. one will not be assigned teaching duties, unless they apply for it which is competitive, and you will only be paid minimum wage, so you have the dilemma, whether to focus on research or gain some teaching experience (but that will consume you a lot of time and energy), you will have the chance of being hired as invigilators for exams, and you will be paid minimum wage too.

Advice to Management

value PhD research fellows as research staff and early career researchers, more collaboration between current research and teaching staff and PhD candidates.