University of Nottingham Reviews | Glassdoor

Professor Shearer West

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Hell"

I worked at University of Nottingham full-time

Pros

Sorry, can't think of any... Ehh... maybe that I have learnt something about strong, old-fashioned hierarchy and how a University that wants to appear to be international tends to assume that everybody acts, thinks and breaths British style...

Cons

Treats the staff as anything but people. Wants to appear to care about global warming, poverty and diversity, but does in the reality not care about its own staff...

Advice to Management

Resign

"Malaysia Campus: Do NOT work here (especially if you are an expat)"

Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Semenyih (Malaysia)
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Semenyih (Malaysia)

I have been working at University of Nottingham full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None, other than the fact that you can put "University of Nottingham" on your CV while looking for a better job elsewhere. I like my immediate department, but I have heard the horror stories of how other departments are managed.

Cons

The administration is a nightmare to deal with – especially HR, which holds a lot of mismanaged power over employees. Faculty haven't been paid on time, benefits are delayed, reimbursement and compensation for professional expenses are a constant battle with faculty administration and HR. When I arrived, the administration didn't even know I was coming (even though I signed the contract many months ago). It took weeks to get an email address, access to moodle, keys to my office, a computer for my office, etc. And, again, every little thing that should be a given for a new employee is a self-advocating battle you have fight with admin.

The morale of the faculty here I could only best describe as "toxic." All of my colleagues seem to have complaint after complaint and most are constantly on the hunt for a new job, which is definitely telling.

The placement of the university's campus is incredibly inconvenient, and don't believe the university website when it tells you that it has "easy access" to KL. It doesn't. Not at all. On average, it takes about 2 hours to get to KLCC via public transportation. It's a campus in the middle of nowhere.

There have been numerous safety concerns on and off campus, and many students have reported sexual harassment, assault, and theft. The security on campus is pretty inept, and don't expect the local police to do anything to help.

The salary is quite low for expats with good qualifications, and only allows for a lower middle class existence at best in KL.

There is virtually no time and resources to do research, even though publications are the expectation.

Advice to Management

Listen seriously to the concerns of students, staff, and faculty. There is a great deal of mistrust leveled at management because employees and students do not see any improvements being made.

Something has to be down about the Boustead partnership. They are trying to run a British university like a Malaysian company and there are all sorts of procedural and culture clashes that prevent effectiveness and efficiency.

There needs to be a procedure in place for new employees – especially faculty coming from overseas. Maybe a checklist of things that need to get taken care of? This was the worst beginning to any job I have ever had, and I literally started looking for new jobs the second day I was at UNMC. The management needs to be proactive in making faculty feel welcome and can trust that the university is on their side. Right now, it is exactly the opposite of that.

3. "Lack of managerial oversight, no team cohesion and seriously discriminatory with regards to disability."

Current Employee - Laboratory Technician in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Laboratory Technician in Nottingham, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Nottingham part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very laid back in regards to timekeeping and lunch breaks. Research projects are interesting and most students are a delight to work with. University Park campus is beautiful and has good facilities.

Cons

Lack of management, meaning that objectives are not clearly set out and time can be wasted. Training that was promised is never delivered. Disability discrimination is bad, with disabled colleagues being undervalued and excluded from both work and social activities. There is a large 'us and them' divide between academic and technical staff, the fact that most technicians have academic degrees is not appreciated.

Advice to Management

Work harder to include disabled staff, leaving them with nothing to do is not making reasonable adjustments. Value your technical staff more and aim to instil this value in your researchers and PhD students. Don't justify practises with 'it's always been done this way', change can be good. Don't offer training unless you plan on delivering it.

"Uncaring employer"

Former Employee - Senior Administrator in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Administrator in Nottingham, England (UK)

I worked at University of Nottingham full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Made some nice friends and the leave allowance was good.

Cons

Extremely busy evironment and the procedures used are old fasioned. The IT systems haven't improved to keep up with the times ie module registration is still done the old fashioned way, as systems cannot cope with on line registration. HR look after the management not the admin staff. Was bullied by my Manager, who also lied, and I was not supported. Manager left for another job but was then re-employed and proceded to bully another member of admin staff who was also not supported.

It's difficult to gain an upgrade. Employees on the same Level job do vastly different amounts of work, and hard work is no recognised.

Advice to Management

To look after the admin staff fairly,

"Really slow progression"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nottingham, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Nottingham full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work-life balance, no intervention,

Cons

Very slow career progression, bad salary

"If you don't fit in they get rid of you"

Former Employee - Security Officer in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Nottingham, England (UK)

I worked at University of Nottingham (More than 3 years)

Pros

you get paid on time and have 30 days (much needed) holidays

Cons

if you have a shred of decency, professionalism, empathy; if you want to do things the right way; if you have some individualism you will sooner rather than later leave or be made to leave
    their union is UNISON and the UoN branch is, in my opinion, as corrupt as they come; do not expect any real help, if/when management treat you wrong and you need union support; management and union conspire to run the UoN as the bosses (Chris Jagger & Co) want. You have no chance whatsoever of career development, unless you are prepared to rub shoulders with and become a slave of your departmental managers.

Advice to Management

retire for the sake of the students and decent employees; obviously, my review is going to be labeled as a grudge, which in part it is. BUT! It reflects, candidly, my experiences. The levels of stress management's mismanagement of people causes is extraordinary, unless one bends over and and crawls.

"Business School Management Ignores Workplace Bullying"

Pros

I worked in an admin position in a small department with the Business School. The business school campus is lovely and has a number of cafes and restaurants for lunch. Many of my colleagues were great and I enjoyed working with them. My workload was varied and manageable.

Cons

I was subjected to workplace bullying from my line manager and on occasion, from another department worker. My manager was passive aggressive, demoralising, demeaning and a micro manager. She undermined my ability constantly to the point were I felt anxious about coming to work. I made the Business School management aware of the problem and I was persuaded to have a three way discussion with line manager-HR-and myself which proved to be next to useless. My manager spent most of the meeting twisting the truth on my performance. And even when prompted to make forward looking goals, she took the time to berate me further. The "goals" from the meeting did not address my concerns in the slightest but I was so stressed and emotionally worn out from the meeting, I had not realised how one sided they were at the time.
    Going forward, the school's HR representative ignored me entirely from that point even when I saw her in my department. No follow up from the meeting, or even just casually checking in with me to see if things had improved.
    My manager largely avoided me but after a few weeks her bullying tendencies resurfaced and so I handed in my notice.
    I left the Business School feeling completely deflated and outcast by all management. I was given no exit interview. They ignored the bullying behaviour and there was not one person was interest in hearing why I'd resigned after just 3 months.
    It turns out I was at least the third person to make a complaint about this manager. I understand that one employee had previously resigned and another had had to take extended leave for stress.

Advice to Management

In the Business School there is a systemic failure of management to provide employees with basic emotional support. I experienced a fundamental problem with workplace bullying which had been ignored, clearly, for years. There is a culture of hierarchical management which has no interest in admin staff who are overlooked and ignored when feeling workplace stress.
    It is important to note that none of the problems I experienced were related to the job I carried out which was pleasant and manageable. 100% of the reason I resigned was because the workplace bullying I was subjected to was ignored by all levels of management.
    While I have no reason to believe that there is widespread bullying across the University, I could well believe that the hierarchical culture is "normal" throughout the institute.

"Agreement in respect of review 9 July - Business School"

I worked at University of Nottingham full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice outdoor facilities. Previously lovely place to work.

Cons

Please read review of 9 July. I am sad to read this, as the School has obviously not learned any lessons from my situation, which occurred in 2011. The Line Manager is the same person who bullied me, and again I was not supported by the Head of School along with one other academic. This academic whilst being Head of UG Programmes, was also a good friend of the Line Manager. Also the School's HR representative was totally one sided. Also HR seemed to tow the party line, and I was hung out to dry. The situation completely soured my earlier 9 years in the School. Ironically the School teaches Human Resources and all aspects of Business. Terrible advertisement.

Advice to Management

The Business School Management treat admin staff as disposable and with contempt, unless your face fits, It needs investigating.

"Don't be fooled by the grand recruitment processes or historic buildings."

I have been working at University of Nottingham (More than 3 years)

Pros

30 days holiday
    Excellent pension
    36 hour week
    Some great and committed people
    Generally relaxed work environment
    Good sports facilities

Cons

A culture that is 25 years behind the times with management to match

A unprofessional and political IT department that has no clue about service and is run by egocentric individuals that are uninterested in details.

A HR department that is incompetent and a liability. They are completely untrustworthy.

A joke of a programme called Project Transform that has waged circa £100m on an archaic student records system and is managed by egos that play golf with the senior management team.

An abundance of needless bureaucracy that standards in the way of progress.

Managers and peers that blatantly lie and/or stab each other in the back.

Advice to Management

Sack the current IT senior team that waste the university's time and money on vanity projects.

Invest in a lean Estates, HR & Finance functions that don't waste on needless paperwork.

Stop using Occupational Health unethically to discipline and remove staff.

Go and learn what your peers at post 92 institutions are doing rather than relying on what you think is best.

10. "Really bad, low standards"

Current Employee - Associate Professor in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Current Employee - Associate Professor in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I have been working at University of Nottingham full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The students are on the whole great. Nice campus.

Cons

No support for foreign staff, never paid properly, hard to get reimbursements, little to no communication by admin, hard to be promoted, a pretense that it is equivalent to the UK campus

Advice to Management

Don't hire foreign staff if you are not willing to pay a salary that someone can live on and provide support. Have basic processes and systems in place so things work.