University of Pennsylvania Press Reviews | Glassdoor

University of Pennsylvania Press Reviews

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Agreed--great place to start out"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at University of Pennsylvania Press full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed working at Penn Press! Great people, small press with a lot of interaction between departments, a lot of autonomy (at least there was in my department), good benefits, and ample holidays/vacation time because the Press follows UPenn's schedule for most of the year, a good "lifestyle" (very reasonable hours and not a ton of stress if you manage your time well). Also, the Press is housed in a beautiful old Victorian mansion, which I liked.

Cons

Almost no way to move up in the company (this may vary a tiny bit depending on the department, but overall there is very little room for advancement), low pay, and a sizable workload/amount of responsibility per person because the Press is so small. There were a one or two big egos to contend with (although by and large, everyone, including the director of the Press, was very easy to get along with). Also, there is not enough space! Most people have tiny cubicles, and you can hear everyone's personal conversations because of the close quarters. I agree that the review press is sort of arbitrary, and in my experience, asking for more responsibility/more projects was not necessarily viewed as a good thing.

Advice to Management

At times I felt like I was a little overworked, while at other times, I felt like I didn't have enough to do (depending on the academic calendar). When I asked for extra projects to work on during a slow time, or even suggested things, it wasn't met with a lot of enthusiasm. I feel like there could be slightly more involvement from the higher ups (not too much, just a tad), so as to make sure everyone is working hard throughout the year.

2. "Not a bad place to start out."

Current Employee - Acquisitions Assistant in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Acquisitions Assistant in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Penn Press is a nice laid back environment. You can learn a lot about publishing. The University of Pennsylvania benefits are great.

Cons

There is no real way to move up within the company. They do not pay very well. Annual raises are between 1%-5%, but you probably aren't getting the highest amount. Your raise basically depends on whose assistant you are. Some supervisors will automatically give you a much higher review than others.

Advice to Management

Room for advancement would be nice. So would a less arbitrary review process. Otherwise, this is a fine place to work.

3. "A small, non-profit press' advantages and disadvantages are mostly size-related."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

You can learn a lot about academic publishing in general because the press is a small, close-knit group of people that communicate across departments frequently. Also, you have great health benefits, plentiful vacation time/sick days, and tuition benefits at the University of Pennsylvania. Upper management is also very understanding when you call in sick or need to take a personal day.

Cons

Because it's a small press, there isn't much room for advancement. There is also little room in the building that we work, so quite a few people are relegated to cubicles in small rooms. Lastly, as with any non-profit press, technology takes a back seat to other budget needs, and computers are old models with little RAM.

Advice to Management

The press building, while a beautiful Victorian house with lots of history, and is not an ideal office building.

5. "Nice environment to work"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at University of Pennsylvania Press as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed my overall experience. Very nice people -- my supervisors were always happy to answer questions. Laid-back environment. Like another reviewer said, the Press is in one of those nice, old buildings you see around Philadelphia.

Cons

Designing promotional materials, I found that there wasn't a lot of room for creativity; the Press leans on the conservative side, which is understandable but not all that helpful for marketing purposes.
    Also, though the building is (I assume) Victorian and really nice-looking on the outside, it is practically freezing on the inside -- not so much a problem during the summer, but during the winter the heating around the house is really spotty. It was especially cold in my cubicle, even when I was wearing a winter coat and gloves.

"Editorial employee"

I worked at University of Pennsylvania Press full-time

Pros

A good place for lower-level editorial employees to learn about academic publishing. Mid-career and more experienced professionals will find it a difficult environment to navigate.

Cons

For such a small press, the overall atmosphere is incredibly bureaucratic and rigid. Top management is sclerotic, personalistic, and interested in maintaining stasis. Cross-department communication is formalized. There is a good group of workers at the press constrained by the top-down management structure.

Advice to Management

The university administration would do well to focus on why its press lacks the stature and reach found at the other Ivy League institutions with major university presses.