University of Phoenix Reviews | Glassdoor

University of Phoenix President Peter Cohen
Peter Cohen

1,499 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great leadership, amazing PTO, 401 match- good work life balance (in 40 reviews)

• Good company with good benefits (in 93 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management seem disconnected with even middle management (in 55 reviews)

• Absolutely no room for advancement (in 20 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A wonderful place for new hires, and the job is very rewarding."

Current Employee - Enrollment Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Enrollment Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at University of Phoenix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The campus is very newly remodeled and there is a lot of opportunity for education and life long learning skills. The on boarding process is amazing and they welcome everyone with open arms.

Cons

The organization as a whole is going through many changes, and it's difficult to feel safe in the position because of the annual layoffs.

Advice to Management

Management does a great job, they can do better with communication change to employees

2. "Assistant"

I worked at University of Phoenix full-time

Pros

People nice; good location; interesting work.

Cons

Management verbally abusive on a daily basis.

Advice to Management

Pay attention.

3. "Academic Specialist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at University of Phoenix full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent pay, flexible schedule and able to telecommute

Cons

absolutely no communication or care for employees

4. "Senior Enrollment Counselor"

I worked at University of Phoenix full-time

Pros

Great Colleagues, and students around the campus

Cons

Leadership, to many changes, moral is down.

5. "Do Not Recommend Anyone to Work in an Advisor Role (Finance, Academics, Enrollment)"

Former Employee - Senior Finance Advisor in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Finance Advisor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at University of Phoenix full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Hands down University of Phoenix has the best benefits in my opinion. I worked for the company for over 9 years and to have 5 weeks of vacation plus sick time on top of that cannot be beat. In addition, I love the selection of healthcare benefits provided. There is coverage for every budget and plans for all lifestyles.
    My position was essentially M-F so it was great to not have to work on weekends. Overtime was offered occasionally but in my experience it wasn't mandatory, although you may have a manager that "pushes" you to come in. The benefits is what kept me going most days.

Cons

Management is HORRIBLE. The managers hired were once regular advisors who had great numbers (high retention with student's, low AR balances etc) -- these "Managers" are not at all qualified to be in management positions. Just because you preform well in an advisor role, does not mean you will be a good manager. There is no more professional development - there used to be years and years ago but that is not the case anymore.
    You as an advisor (finance, academics, enrollment) are treated not as a person but a body to simply answer the phone, take abusive phone calls from student's, have managers/directors threaten your job. The President of the University changes constantly - which means new objectives. This happens over and over. The University can never seem to agree on on an initiative and have it stick. Lastly, it was very hard to deal with the caliber of student's that call in everyday. I am generalizing - not all student's were mean, aggressive, verbally abusive, and short tempered...but the majority that you will speak to are. I had calls where I had to excuse myself and cry because the words were so hurtful. That is hard to listen to for 9 years in my case.
    I am not a jilted employee - I preformed well, I volunteered to help other counselors with their work to catch up, I was a lead for my team...I stayed under the radar but you better believe my last day there was the best day of my life. Since then I have slept better, been a happier person, and not been as moody. I will be grateful for the benefits and the ability to earn my Master's degree for free - but there isn't much else I can say for this place.

Advice to Management

Learn how to manage. So many managers are only looking out for themselves. That is not a manager. The University needs to clean house with their managers. In addition, manager's would be gone from the floor for hours and hours at a time claiming they have "meetings". Managers need to be supporting their staff, available for escalated issues and yes, even "work in the trenches" and help with coverage if needed.

6. "Campus Operations Coordinator"

I have been working at University of Phoenix full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great PTO, diverse people to work with

Cons

In my 9 years at the University of Phoenix I have seen so much downsizing. Very discouraging.

"Wasted My Time Here"

Former Employee - Full Time Faculty in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Full Time Faculty in Tempe, AZ

I worked at University of Phoenix full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people on the front lines are incredibly hard working.

Cons

Everything else: management, upper management, corporate culture, job positions. I spent 10 years of my life at UoPhx in positions ranging from enrollment (worst), academic affairs, payroll, and ending as a Full-time Faculty. I was unceremoniously swept up in mass layoffs because, apparently, specially trained faculty are not valued. Poor students.

Advice to Management

Treat this place like an institute of higher learning, not a cash cow corporation.

8. "Enrollment"

I worked at University of Phoenix full-time

Pros

I had a great time working there

Cons

All the constant changes were stressful

9. "Great Benefits"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at University of Phoenix full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great vacation benefits! Provide an excellent service to students!

Cons

Recent lack of opportunities for growth.

10. "Academic Counselor"

I worked at University of Phoenix full-time

Pros

Better than average pay and vacation. The culture was great when I started there in 2009 but has slowly deteriorated and now morale is at an all time low. Former employees describe UoP as "Golden Handcuffs".

Cons

Terrible leadership and middle management. The company grew way too fast in the late 2000's and most of the top talent left years ago when enrollment started dropping. Despite being purchased by a 3rd party there have been no changes to leadership or strategy.

Advice to Management

The best thing for the company could do is clean house with middle management.

Showing 1,499 of 1,611 reviews