University of Phoenix Reviews | Glassdoor

1,499 reviews

Full-timePart-time

1,499 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great leadership, amazing PTO, 401 match- good work life balance (in 40 reviews)

• Good company with good benefits (in 93 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management seem disconnected with even middle management (in 56 reviews)

• Absolutely no room for advancement (in 20 reviews)

"Laid off after 4 months due to falling stock price"

Former Employee - Military Enrollment Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Military Enrollment Representative in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Good atmosphere. Awesome manager.
    Nice and relaxed dress code. Ample parking.

Good atmosphere. Awesome manager.
    Nice and relaxed dress code. Ample parking

Cons

Micromanaged. Breaks, dials, appointments... Basically every aspect of your day will be managed.

"No Career Advancement"

Former Employee - Senior Finance Advisor in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Finance Advisor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at University of Phoenix full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

PTO, Good work life balance

Cons

Middle Management complacent and slow to react to escalated issues. No opportunities for career advancement. The job you are hired in at will be your job throughout the remainder or your employment. Raises are not based on performance and provides for lazy individuals to continue being lazy. No incentive to individuals that are top performers and willing to go above and beyond.

Advice to Management

Middle management is top heavy and does little to expel constant rumors. Provide support and new ideas to improve job. Be available to answer and address questions. Know the job role and what is necessary for your employees to be successful. The vast majority of managers have no idea how to use software applications that their employees are using, managers should be the expertise. Employees should not have to show managers how to use applications.

"Leadership changes -"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I worked at University of Phoenix (More than 10 years)

Pros

The focus to the students is excellent. Quality educational experience and student outcomes is the focus.
    The recent sale has many unknown questions for the future.

Cons

Senior & executive leadership is not connected to the employees. Five years of random downsizing and layoffs has created a culture of mistrust. Attitudes is that leadership doesn't take any hits.

Advice to Management

Put your money where your mouth is. Take a pay cut to save jobs

4. "Senior Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at University of Phoenix full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free Tuition at this Higher Education Organization

Cons

There is a hiring freeze and many people have already been fired

Advice to Management

Think more about your people and give them the room to move up in the organization

"Lots of Change"

Current Employee - Program Specialist in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Program Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at University of Phoenix full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I really like my co-workers and most of them are educated and hard-working.

I used to love working here! I felt like I was making a difference in the lives of our students and my team was dedicated and we worked together.

Cons

Almost no recognition for a job well done and the only "raise" I've gotten in 2 years is 2% "cost of living". Keep in mind that over the past 2 years my out of pocket cost for benefits has increased so I am actually bringing home less than I did previously.

The work load for my department has increased to the point that we barely manage to keep our heads above water and our Director keeps adding more to the plate. Our department has changed gears so we are "nameless and faceless" to the students. This has completely taken away any individuality we had.

Advice to Management

Increase our pay for the job we do.

Listen to your employees - you have many bright, intuitive thinkers that are DOING the job that you are TALKING about.

Even out our work loads. I make less than some of my co-workers who sit around talking most of the day and complaining about all the student teaching placements they have to complete.

6. "Enrollment"

Former Employee - Enrollment in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Enrollment in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at University of Phoenix (More than 5 years)

Pros

The opportunity for advancement. Discounted education . Benefits

Cons

Ineffective change management. Company politics

"Enrollment Advisor"

Former Employee - Advisor in Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Advisor in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at University of Phoenix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The students were amazing, the one joy of going to work everyday.

Cons

It is a for Profit College.
    My opinion is that management from top level on down was so corrupt and dishonest. It was not a healthy work environment. Employees were worried daily about loosing their jobs to layoff and school closing for good reasons, because there were many of both across the country. The stress of constantly starting new students and retaining current student was horrible. The programs were way overpriced and students were in so much debt from loans they were never going to be able to payoff, and was having a difficult time getting a job after completing their degree. It was so not worth it, because many companies still considered University of Phoenix to be a diploma mill. Again this is my opinion, I felt that low income especially black students were targeted . I felt the company was extremely racist and zero opportunity in top upper management positions for blacks. Hopefully this has changed over the last few years.

Advice to Management

Find a way to earn and deserve respect in higher education. If not for the company, for the thousands of students who have paid a dear price to attend your school and is having a difficult time finding employment. Start by lowering the price of your programs, make the experience of attending the University of Phoenix more about learning and less about profit.

"ER"

Current Employee - Senior Enrollment Advisor in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Enrollment Advisor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at University of Phoenix full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Salary is decent but it depends on the job market you are in.

Cons

There is no consistency in anything that they do. VP leadership is constantly changing processes and procedures.

"Run Away"

Former Employee - Academic Counselor in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Academic Counselor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at University of Phoenix full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I met some great people, co-workers and students.

Cons

The upper management does not care at all about their employees. The guidelines are constantly changing, there is no opportunity for advancement, and there is absolutely no support from management. I had one on-on-one in nine months, and watched the company manipulate policies in order to take money away from both students and employees. The pay is good, but that is the only good thing that I can say about this company.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to how middle management is interacting with the counselors underneath them.

"Don't work here!"

Former Employee - Full-Time Faculty in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Full-Time Faculty in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at University of Phoenix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I loved my full-time online coworkers and I had one excellent manager (out of three). I found my coworkers to be educated, dedicated, and generous above and beyond other universities where I've worked. Unfortunately, all 220 of them were laid off suddenly in Feb. 2017.

Cons

15+ levels of management where the highest levels are given huge bonuses although all teachers are told there is no money for COL or merit increases. Massive turnover in staff; constant and cringeworthy changes to procedures and software; poor morale; ridiculous meetings that waste time and add to the burden of working there; some particularly severe personalities that are barely able to hide their contempt for teachers; and more...

Advice to Management

This is a case study in what NOT to do!

Showing 1,499 of 1,611 reviews