University of Rochester Medical Center Reviews | Glassdoor

University of Rochester Medical Center CEO Bradford C. Berk
Bradford C. Berk

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Low pay compared to competitors (in 5 reviews)

• Aside from that, a great place to live/work (in 3 reviews)

1. "Therapist"

I have been working at University of Rochester Medical Center full-time

Pros

Good benefits, teaching hospital, large enough to move laterally fairly easy

Cons

Huge bureaucracy, change happens slowly

2. "PCT Tech"

Current Employee - Independent Aide in Gates, NY
    Current Employee - Independent Aide in Gates, NY

I have been working at University of Rochester Medical Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People need me and My day isn't completed unless I'm Helping another Human Being or Pets

Cons

It's very Challenging when colleges call in, I'm available too go above and beyond and I'm very prompt too being on time at work

Advice to Management

Open for Discussion

3. "senior Director of business development"

I have been working at University of Rochester Medical Center full-time

Pros

Collegial place to work and good tuition benefits

Cons

Lack of competitive salaries for market sensitive positions

"Rewarding"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Rochester, NY

Pros

Great atmosphere, great feel of small town community. Further education encouraged and reward but not a requirement. A great place to learn and experience a lot.

Cons

Shift work can be very challenging. Parking for day shifts is off site with shuttles. It's not ideal and adds a lot of time into my day.

Advice to Management

Hire by shift needed. Rotating days/evening/nights/weekends is very hard on work/life balance.

5. "Patient Care Tech"

I worked at University of Rochester Medical Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team work. Friendly people/

Cons

work load too heavy, short staff at points.

Advice to Management

none at this time.

6. "Assistant analyst"

Pros

Good work atmosphere to work in with average benefits. Innovative environment as well. Leading company in the rochester area with flexability and movement

Cons

Management needs more educational training in order to improve department. Pay does not compete with other hospitals.

7. "Great training environment"

Current Employee - PhD Graduate Student in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - PhD Graduate Student in Rochester, NY

I have been working at University of Rochester Medical Center (More than 5 years)

Pros

Highly collaborative environment, friendly people, easy access to technical resources, strong mentoring and career development opportunities.

Cons

Transportation can be a challenge, especially in winter months. Car is a must.

8. "Great Culture"

Pros

Teamwork, collaboration, everyone seems to be working towards a common goal.

Cons

Can be competitive at times and may require long working hours

9. "Riding the fumes of their reputation"

Former Employee - Help Desk Technician in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Help Desk Technician in Rochester, NY

I worked at University of Rochester Medical Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There were some good problem-solving opportunities and interesting projects. It's a solid job that isn't likely to be outsourced or downsized. Most of my coworkers were fun to work with, but they are leaving due to the cons.

Cons

The ISD help desk is no longer a foot in the door that lets you step into a better job at URMC. You will not get into a good technical position by starting at the help desk. They are more likely to hire outside the company for openings in areas like system administration, networking, and security. If they do hire internally, it is generally based on nepotism and cronyism. There is a shocking amount of incompetence rampant in the whole of ISD. They had to scramble to find money to pay people when they forgot to include them in the budget. Pet projects are pushed through at the expense of people, sound technological practices, and the needs of the business. Office politics and group think ensure poor decision making.

Benefits (including tuition assistance) are reduced pretty much every year. They have drastically reduced wages for new employees. To make people accept terrible pay, they give promises about future raises that turn out to only be a nickle an hour increase. Even the higher level positions are grossly underpaid. Like $40,000 for a system admin or network admin underpaid.

They allowed people in positions of power over the help desk to abuse and sexually harass employees for years in addition to violating state and federal labor laws. Instead of firing the perpetrator and those complicit, the person was just moved to be in charge of a smaller group (most of whom subsequently quit). One of the participants is still at the help desk stealing credit for the work of the staff if the participant thinks they can get away with it. Even if they can't get away with claiming the work as theirs, quality is not often recognized. One person in a decision-making position needs to have things explained multiple times before there is even the possibility of understanding.

This is a job with many frustrations and few bright spots. Oh, and the interesting projects mentioned in the pros section are only for favored employees.

Advice to Management

Stop turning the help desk into a call center. You stopped paying enough to get and retain quality employees before the changes. Taking away even the most basic of quality-of-life perks and treating employees like criminals will ensure that anyone employable elsewhere will run as fast as they can. Your help desk will go back to being a "helpless desk" and a pitiful joke.

In the IT community, Sutherland is frequently mentioned as the worst, most dehumanizing place to work. Your new rules are even more draconian than Sutherland. The IT community in Rochester is very small and word gets around fast. You will become a pariah and will get applications from the incompetent and the desperate instead of the strong stars you should be looking for.

10. "A great school that prepared me well for life outside academia"

Current Employee - Graduate Student in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Graduate Student in Rochester, NY

Pros

Great people, a non-cutthroat academic environment, and plenty of freedom (at least in my case) to develop skills that are broadly marketable.

Cons

They changed our status from workers to students in spring 2017. Now we don't get W2s, and have to file our own taxes. Snow.