KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Found 473 of over 492 reviews

3.9
University of Rochester Medical Center CEO Mark B. Taubman
Mark B. Taubman
Pros
  • "Good benefits, flexibility in hours(in 26 reviews)

• "Great staff, great benefits, fulfilling work(in 26 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Low pay, very little paid time off, treats their employees like numbers(in 14 reviews)

• "Lack of job growth opportunities in my individual department and have to pay for parking where the walk can be lengthy(in 9 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of University of Rochester Medical Center and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great place to start a career

Aug 28, 2021 - Finance Manager in Fairport, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

excellent benefits, tuition benefits, great leadership

Cons

lower than average salary, lots of red tape

2. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Many benefits to working here, but don't expect anything extra when the going gets tough

Aug 12, 2021 - Registered Nurse in Rochester, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Many opportunities for growth - internal transfers, educational opportunities and tuition benefits, world class innovation. Large teaching hospital that gets the sickest patients, great for learning.

Cons

When push comes to shove staff are simply not compensated adequately for what is asked of them. Constantly asked to do more with less. COVID was very eye opening, no hazard pay offered to designated COVID units even though other regional health systems did (ie. Buffalo and Syracuse). A 'market adjustment' was made to salaries during COVID to placate nursing (after taking away yearly raises, so really, we just broke even with where we would have been with an annual increase, slick move CFO) and it still does not compete with neighboring regional networks. Poor management is allowed to stay in place despite repeated complaints to HR and executive staff. There are some truly toxic work environments here, not everywhere, but if you're reading this you know who you are... Politics politics politics. I used to think the health benefits were good, until they created 3 different deductible tiers which forces you to use UR providers or break up your in-network deductible = never ending out of pocket expenses. Listening to attending physicians complain about their poor compensation, which is still 6-10x higher than what UR nurses make. Final thoughts: if an institution can afford to pay exorbitant rates for travelers they can afford to compensate their nursing staff fairly during a pandemic, many of whom left for said travel contracts elsewhere when UR refused hazard pay, took away annual increases, AND reduced retirement contributions.

Continue reading
      1 person found this review helpful
    3. Talk anonymously with Healthcare professionals
    4. 5.0

Endless opportunities

Sep 14, 2021 - Registered Nurse, Emergency Room in Rochester, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

There are endless opportunities to learn and grow throughout the system.

Cons

It can be impersonal. Very difficult to remember names and positions due to the amount of employees

5. 4.0
      Former Employee

Good for your first nursing job

Sep 13, 2021 - Registered Nurse
      Business Outlook

Pros

I think this hospital is good for your first medical job, but not really long term

Cons

Management, staffing is horrible, ratios are horrible!

6. 4.0

Good place

Sep 12, 2021 - Registered Nurse, BSN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Professional environment, good pay, friendly staff

Cons

Lack of support from upper med surg management

7. 4.0

Great Place to Work!

Sep 4, 2021 - Building Mechanic A in Rochester, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great pay and benefits. Awesome flexibility with vacation and PTO package. Excellent retirement planning and program. Most of the staff actually cares about what they're contributing and takes their job seriously.

Cons

Management hires friends and family

8. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Good benefits, great culture

Sep 1, 2021 - Information Analyst in Rochester, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits are great especially healthcare including dental.

Cons

Base salary is lower than comparable jobs at other top companies in the area, Benefits do make up for it, but if you're looking for a big check to leverage you may want to look elsewhere.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great place to work

Aug 27, 2021 - Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits great work/home balance. They care about you as a person

Cons

Pay can sometimes be lower, but they have been reevaluating

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great place

Aug 5, 2021 - Apprentice Optician in Webster, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits, understanding boss, flexible, vacations, pto, 401k. I lover what I do an who I work for the discounts we get every where and all other options at our finger tips is fantastic, best move I ever made for myself

Cons

I have no complaints about my job or organization that I work for. They are great first job i have had that I enjoy going to

11. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great benefits, great environment. Bad parking. Physical work environment varies from nice and new to old and gross.

Jul 1, 2021 - Technical Associate II in Rochester, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of things going on here, of course. Getting to know interesting professors and going to an occasional talk was really cool. It's nice to have a bank, coffee shops, food, and a gym right on site.

Cons

Parking is always an issue. You may pay quite a bit to park at a satellite lot and ride the bus into work. Also, for many positions, the pay is below what you could get in industry.

Continue reading