University of Salford Reviews

Updated Mar 12, 2020

3.3
University of Salford Vice Chancellor Helen Marshall (no image)
Helen Marshall
Pros
  • "Good facilities, flexible hours, plenty of events to be involved in(in 5 reviews)

• "good pay, big place with lots going on, good students and staff(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Unnecessarily high pressure environment with a blame culture(in 4 reviews)

• "Senior management are more focused on pushing their own agendas than understanding the staff(in 4 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

I have been working at University of Salford full-time

Pros

Salford has a new and ambitious vision for the future. Renewed energy and direction and a real buzz about the place. This is a University going places and is one to watch over the coming years. It is great to be part of the team driving this new vision

Cons

Still some old ways of working and some colleagues do not believe the new vision is realistic or achievable

University of Salford2016-04-28
  2. "Research Assistant"

1.0

I worked at University of Salford full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It is better than unemployment

Cons

Too much BS politics and bad blod between teams , centers, research groups. No understanding of research, no career dev, no real interest in building fellows future

University of Salford2018-10-03
  3. "Uni"

Current Employee - Student

I have been working at University of Salford full-time

Pros

Very good and helpful uni

Cons

Too many lectures cramped up

University of Salford2020-03-12
  4. "I have a very good experience"

Current Employee - Aide

I have been working at University of Salford full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice place to work. I recommend it

Cons

not anything bad about the University.

University of Salford2020-01-30

"If you're looking to be passed about like a walkers sharer bag. You'll not be disappointed."

2.0
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Salford, North West England, England

I worked at University of Salford full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

UoS is great if you want a good salary increase, which is promised twice per year. You are also able to move between different areas withing the business with ease, once you're a permanent employee that is.

Cons

There is very little structure here. Also, very little regard for employees wellbeing. Depending on your direct line management, you may not even have flexible working - working in another building on campus is seen as taboo and working from home is seen to be asking for the impossible. Although VCET talk about the moving train and not making any reduncdancies, all they seem to be doing here is forcing people out of their positions or forcing them into positions they're not comfotable with. When departments are going through change, it would be great for the SLT to at least give the illusion they care about what happens to the staff - here they don't even pretend. Most people are looking out for themselves at this level. Its not a great working environment. The fact that there is a huge under representation of BAME staff adds massively to that. When there are no representative role models to look up to, BAME are never given the chance to achieve more or even told they can. Are there any BAME staff above grade 6? I think not. UoS loves keeping their staff on fixed term employment to prevent people from enforcing the rights they would be entitled to as permanent employees. Colleagues are usually very negative and seem to always be trying to get the better of one another. So, no - there is no such thing as collaboration. This also leaves an incredibly poor work ethic - and doesn't encourage new employees or interns that they should be giving the best to their role. Although I mentioned the salary is good, many long term employees that have been in the university drag their feet yet, still recieve these pay rises. Their grade spinal point is also incredibly unrepresentative of their salary - meaning they'll probably get paid WAY MORE than they should be doing just because they've been there 10 years. In comparison to the colleagues doing a role with a higher level of responsibility yet, at a lower grade. Pay increases are clearly not linked to how hard you work but again.... this is 'just the process and culture of HE' as HR like to remind us.

University of Salford2020-01-22
  6. "Great colleagues poor management"

2.0
    Former Employee - Communications

I worked at University of Salford full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good facilities, flexible hours, plenty of events to be involved in.

Cons

Management is trying to apply this cringe worthy Dominic Cummings approach where they try to make current staff be more edgy and creative. The problem is that the hiring system is still rigid and unfriendly to any creative or forward thinking person so this is not going to work. A lot of money are just wasted on unnecessary trainings and workshops. Too much red tape. The company perks are just useless and probably cost way more than, say, private health care for each member of staff would cost.

University of Salford2020-01-19
  7. "Salford"

Former Employee - Academic in Salford, North West England, England

I worked at University of Salford part-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly, social, positive environment, inclusive

Cons

Unorganized, more transparent protocols required

University of Salford2020-01-14
  8. "No real prospects"

Former Employee - Lecturer

I worked at University of Salford full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Friendly environment and good colleagues to work with

Cons

No real career prospects as highly disorganised Lack of support for personal development No clear lines of communication

University of Salford2020-01-06
  9. "Don't work here if you have mental health problems"

1.0
    Former Employee - Customer Service

I worked at University of Salford full-time for more than a year

Pros

The Media City campus felt very innovative

Cons

Now I've had some distance and time since leaving, I've been able to process and comprehend how truly horrific my experience was, bordering on being bullied. After periods off sick with mental illness - some of which was work related - there was little support from either HR or my management, just robotic following of procedures. I was also subject to downright lying and lack of empathy or integrity from management - this was in the student services team (which incorporates the full range of front facing services, careers, library, disability support, counselling etc.) so I can't speak for the faculties. The reviewer who referred to the Dominic Cummings style of management couldn't have put it better. Appointments of people from outside the sector who were utterly clueless about HE were commonplace, to the detriment of the service as decent, compassionate and experienced people left. My advice to prospective employees: please look beyond the trite rhyming couplets on the job adverts proclaiming diversity - real life experience falls far short of this. If you're in the market for student services roles, do yourself a favour and look elsewhere.

University of Salford2020-01-25
  10. "Very good university"

Former Employee - Student in Salford, North West England, England

I worked at University of Salford full-time for less than a year

Pros

Really good, supportive and helpful tutors

Cons

No cons which I could see

University of Salford2019-12-10