University of South Carolina Reviews in Spartanburg, SC | Glassdoor

Harris Pastides
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Low pay for the work being asked but opportunities to make more (in 16 reviews)

• Another con is the long hours of work that is required of a doctoral student (in 7 reviews)

1. "Meh..."

Current Employee - Custodian in Spartanburg, SC
    Current Employee - Custodian in Spartanburg, SC

I have been working at University of South Carolina part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The job is easy and does not require a lot of strenuous effort.

Cons

The bosses don't care about their employees.

2. "Student Employment is the way to go!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spartanburg, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spartanburg, SC

I worked at University of South Carolina part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

On-campus networking. Often time for homework while getting paid. Convenient location if you're a student. Easier to get involved. Meet classmates and make new friends. Find out more about the operation of the institution you're paying for an education. Plenty more!

Cons

The pay is not the greatest considering that you are essentially cheap labor for most positions. It can also distract from your studies if you aren't careful.

3. "Student-Friendly Work"

Current Employee - Wellness Center Supervisor in Spartanburg, SC
    Current Employee - Wellness Center Supervisor in Spartanburg, SC

Pros

As a supervisor of the new Wellness Center at the Upstate Campus as well as a student, there are some obvious benefits to working for the same university that I attend. When making my work schedule, the University is very willing to work around my class schedule and give me ample time to study as well. The director of the Wellness Center allows student staff to study for their classes when they have extra time during their shift. Finally, the responsibility and experience I've gained while working here will be invaluable in my future career.

Cons

First of all, the hourly wage is not especially high, and the number of hours you get to work is usually very low, around six to nine hours per week. The work can also get to be pretty boring when there is nothing happening, although the staff is allowed to use personal laptops and study for classes. In my opinion, the pros outweigh the cons.

Advice to Management

Ask the staff for their opinion on the policy and procedures. Inform the staff about what is going on around the Wellness Center through email