University of South Florida Reviews | Glassdoor

University of South Florida President Judy L. Genshaft
Judy L. Genshaft

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Low Pay, More focused on online education (in 23 reviews)

• Everything was good no cons from my side (in 14 reviews)

1. "TA"

Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Tampa, FL

I have been working at University of South Florida part-time (More than a year)

Pros

tuition waiver, full health insurance

Cons

meticulous grading job, may be have to handle difficult students

Advice to Management

Great opportunity for students but please come up with a better selection process

2. "My review"

I have been working at University of South Florida full-time

Pros

Diverse environment offering many opportunities for advancement.

Cons

A large university that can sometimes be difficult to navigate.

3. "Physics grad school has opportunities"

I have been working at University of South Florida full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Tampa is a great place for graduate students. Many professors are doing interesting research and getting publications out. Opportunities to network with engineering and other departments.

Cons

Pay for grad students is not competitive with other Florida schools.

4. "Research Assistant"

I have been working at University of South Florida part-time

Pros

great environment, research-oriented institution, amazing faculty

Cons

I cannot really think of it

5. "Teaching Assistant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I worked at University of South Florida part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good school. Great classrooms. Good research topics.

Cons

Low payments.
    No funding in summer.

6. "Stay away! Leadership is non-existent..."

I worked at University of South Florida full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people on campus are amazing and make coming to work worth it.

Cons

The leadership is beyond weak and unprofessional. No communication, high paying of the wrong people who are rewarded for abdicating their leadership role. Probably one of the worst places I've ever been where no one is held accountable for what they do. Unprofessional behaviors from co-workers that were not dealt with and actually allowed to happen while the majority use the ostrich style of leadership and would not deal with anything or would just fire people with no feed back because it is easier to get rid of someone who doesn't agree with you or challenges broken processes. Won't assess their own training or customer service because they know what the community will say about them. I was brought in to help change things and because I challenged how processes were done, addressed bad behaviors, and wouldn't allow a co-worker treat people disrespectfully, was given a non-reappointment letter. Learned a lot from this job but wish I could have left on my own terms and some feedback as why I was let go! Many of the leaders there are wolves in sheeps clothing who lack integrity, take credit for others work, let their teams fail, and are not respected by the community, and yet they continue in their positions. Many good workers chased away because empire building is rampant and anyone who gets in your way is gone. Stay away....stay far away.

Advice to Management

You need to do send out a survey to the customers your leaders serve and find out what really goes on while no one is watching. You have been misled and misinformed and the only way to truly find out what is going on is ask your community. Stop hiding behind the lies told and research what is happening to talented people who want to help change the environment for the better. Everyone is afraid to make decisions and stand up for what is right because they will be given a non-reappointment letter as is normal in a non-leadership oriented culture. You talk a good talk but your walk is null and void. I was asked for my assessment of a certain office and a week and half later let go. Shame on you for pretending you want to change and shame on you for allowing incompetent people to remain in a positions because they meet your diversity numbers.

7. "Used to love it here..."

Current Employee - Academic Advisor in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Academic Advisor in Tampa, FL

Pros

Tons of vacation and sick time (if your supervisor allows you to use it)

Cons

No chance for promotion, no wage increases, no support from management--whatever students what students get.

Advice to Management

Management (i.e. Provost) is sooooooo out of touch. The turnover rate is insane! It seems like those that work with students one on one, day after day are the least paid with the least respect---but we are who shape the students' experiences.

8. "Health Informatics Institute"

Former Employee - Clinical Research Associate in Tampa, FL

I worked at University of South Florida full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

USF: Excellent education, health and PTO benefits.
    HII: Flexible schedule and decent pay.

Cons

The executive director is a poor manager but excellent researcher that brings in lots of grant funding. This is why he is able to operate outside the purview of the USF HR policies.

Because poor leadership starts at the top, many of the upper level managers have adopted those negative traits such as scapegoating, lack of accountability, non-existent code of conduct, harmful cliques, inconsistent policies or lack of policies or procedures, feedback is condescending, compared to other team members, favoritism and the list goes on. This is an ideal environment for a poor management case study.

This is not healthy​ work environment and those who stay too long have developed cult-like behavior. So if you decide to work here, be prepared to not have any free thinking behavior unless you conform to their culture or explain a gap in your career.

Advice to Management

Management has operated without any accountability for far too long and the culture there will not change without any drastic changes.

9. "Health Informatics Institute (HII) at USF"

Former Employee - Clinical Research Associate in Tampa, FL

I worked at University of South Florida full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, option to work from home and excellent benefits. Salary is decent.

Cons

HII is a fear based culture with many turnovers and people fired for minor reasons or speaking up against the status quo. In the first 1.5 years of my employment, 12 people were fired or escorted out of the building. This is not healthy​ work environment and those who stay too long have developed cult-like behavior.

Advice to Management

10. "Clinical Research Associate"

Current Employee - Clinical Research Associate in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Clinical Research Associate in Tampa, FL

I have been working at University of South Florida full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Environment that allows learning and continued success

Cons

Overall experience relative to your supervisor