University of Southern California Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
University of Southern California President C. L. Max Nikias
C. L. Max Nikias

Pros
Cons
  • no cons for this particular job (in 26 reviews)

• low salary for the first semester (in 20 reviews)

"Dysfunctional even for academia"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at University of Southern California (More than 3 years)

Pros

Provides good employee benefits and access to cutting edge technologies.

Cons

Department management does not promote from within. Highly dysfunctional and ineffective management style allowed to continue even after repeated reports of issues to upper management and human resources by senior staff. Reasons for issues not explored, displaced blame and an overall lack of emotional intelligence in supervisors for handling team building and low morale.

Advice to Management

Promote your talented (existing) staff.

"Poor management"

Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at University of Southern California full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Provides excellent access to research.

Cons

This school cares more about promoting itself with impressive public relations than about what is being taught in its classrooms.

Advice to Management

Implement strategies to support faculty governance.

"Poor HR Lots of Politics"

Former Employee - Program/Project Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Program/Project Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at University of Southern California full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some benefits can be worthwhile, especially if you can use them (e.g. for tuition)

Cons

There are honestly too many to list. Very poor HR experience. Very poor workplace culture. Very political. No room for advancement.

5. "Admin management are unskilled nuts"

Former Employee - Communications in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Communications in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Life/work balance. Fair pay. A window in the building

Cons

No structure. Unskilled and inexperienced management. Workspace is loud and chaotic. Abuse by management, HR no help.

Advice to Management

Leave. Hire managers with experience and knows how to inspire and work as a team.

6. "Unfortunate place to work"

Former Employee - Lecturer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at University of Southern California full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good libraries, and the Ethiopian restaurant nearby

Cons

Too many to count, mostly related to their mistreatment of contingent faculty

7. "ESL Lecturer, International Academy"

Former Employee - Lecturer in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Great colleagues!
    I learned a lot from my colleagues

Cons

Really chaotic management
    Customer service approach to education, which doesn't help people learn, it just explains to them why they should continue to buy the product

Advice to Management

Remember our job is to educate people, not help the university squeeze as much money from the international students as possible.

"Physical Therapy Faculty Practice"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Free ice. Fee filtered water. Free use of work-out equipment after work hours. Free internet. Free Wi-Fi. Decent benefits with time off. University closes for winter break between Christmas and New Year.

Cons

Lack of institutional control all the way up. Lack of a training program / Lack of job descriptions / Lack of feedback or expectations / Lack of an Operations Manual / Lack of upward mobility - once you figure out what you should be doing you will be stuck there / Lack of parking - street parking only or you will need to find meter parking $$$

Advice to Management

Those under you know more about your operations and procedures than you do. Take the time to learn and understand the processes instead of blaming others.

9. "Cvt"

Current Employee - Cvt in Kecks Corner, CA
    Current Employee - Cvt in Kecks Corner, CA

I have been working at University of Southern California part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co workers are the most selfish. Working with serious medications on patients heart. Adenosine, lexican, dobutamine with proper training and education. Most of them works there without a license. Just with high school diploma and 3 days training from anonymous trade school that they don't exist anymore. A nuclear stress test is obssrved by a qualified cardiologist. In this facility is just an RN who's just there typing and typing to cover their back in most of the cases. This facility is just famous because the name of the school of medicine. That's all. Talking about the parking you have to park far a way nu the rails of the train. Shuttles usually are delayed. So is natural if you ended up working soaking wet because of the rain plus they break into the cars.

Cons

Very low pay. Males workers loves to boolling females worker. A lot of jealousy. Contaminated environment

Advice to Management

Management doesn't care about this internal issues.

10. "Oblivious administration focused on money"

Current Employee - Technical Staff in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Staff in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at University of Southern California part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I had a fantastic experience working in the Department of Performance Venue (now called Trojan Event Services) where we were encouraged to learn as we worked. As student employees, we were given technical training and opportunities that paralleled a job requiring much more experience than we had. I started with no technical theater background and was taught from the ground up. We worked on events with Elton John, Vampire Weekend, TEDxUSC, and Presidents Clinton and Bush among many others. Students ran every show as stage managers, production managers, house managers, and lead audio and lighting techs.

Cons

Unfortunately, the bureaucracy that is USC failed to keep its finances and enforced terrible changes on our department. Every person in the org chart from my boss to the Provost of the University have left in the last two years (and I am not missing a single individual) mostly due to the incompetence of their superiors, excluding maybe the people in the top few rungs. In the meantime, our full-time staffing has been reduced to 10% of its original size. Staffing for events was dangerously low and maintenance was not dealt with for two years. Policies were put in place that hindered our work without consultation. Long overdue and promised raises have yet to be distributed. The new administration has no knowledge or interest in what we do in tech and the students and full-time employees have faced terrible payroll and administrative problems that are waived off by the administration. There was finally one technical hire and he is promising, but he still reports to irresponsible administration. Here's hoping things change for the better under his direction for the sake of the students and the University.

"Work Environment"

I have been working at University of Southern California part-time

Pros

Has a flexible work environment.
    Great Infrastructure.

Cons

Better organisation at department level.

Advice to Management

Better involvement of people in different departments.

Showing 34 of 1,492 reviews