What people are saying about University of Southern California
Got a burning question about University of Southern California? Just ask!
On Glassdoor, you can share insights and advice anonymously with University of Southern California employees and get real answers from people on the inside.
What are your colleagues talking about?
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "Benefits are great if you're interested in pursuing a master's or if you have a family" (in 337 reviews)
- "People here are chill and great to get along with" (in 216 reviews)
- "Flexible Hours Hybrid Good for entry level" (in 143 reviews)
- "The campus is beautiful and the university provides a lot of resources for full time employees." (in 92 reviews)
- "Staff is friendly and faculty extremely knowledgeable." (in 87 reviews)
- "The pay is low for a city with a high cost of living like Los Angeles." (in 207 reviews)
- "salaries are low and not competitive" (in 124 reviews)
- "Parking can be expensive and busy." (in 70 reviews)
- "Bad management by faculty PIs." (in 57 reviews)
- "A culture of protecting faculty and leadership that compromises ethics, a bureaucracy that inhibits productivity and poor leadership" (in 21 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of University of Southern California and is not affected by filters.
- Race / Ethnicity
- Sexual Orientation
- Parent or Family Caregiver
- Veteran Status
Found 20 of over 5K reviews
Updated Sep 26, 2023
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
Reviews about "cost of living"Return to all Reviews
- 5.0Aug 12, 2015Anonymous EmployeeCurrent Employee, more than 5 yearsLos Angeles, CA
Depends on your lab. But is one of the best places to work your PhD. I had a great time. In my 4th year we got a raise based on increasing cost of living. Little things like that is huge for a graduate student. Great health coverage, gym etc.
Bad area of Los Angeles, even though it is getting better. You have to live a poor man's life hoping that after PhD you can live a better life.
- 4.0Feb 14, 2020Research Technician IIFormer Employee, more than 1 yearLos Angeles, CA
Working in research is fun
Your experience is highly dependent on the lab PI. My boss seemed to expect me to work overtime for free despite incredibly low pay (especially considering LA cost of living).University of Southern California Response4y
Your feedback is valued. Thank you for taking time to leave a review, and for being a part of our team. We are committed to providing pay that is competitive in the local marketplace for all of our positions. If you have any specific questions around our pay practices, you can reach out to your Human Resources Partner.