University of Sunderland Reviews | Glassdoor

University of Sunderland Reviews

Updated Oct 13, 2019

3.3
University of Sunderland CEO David Bell (no image)
David Bell
  1. "Negative Work Environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at University of Sunderland full-time for less than a year

Pros

This review applies to the LONDON CAMPUS. There are some good employees at the London Campus, but most leave after a year or so once they realise there are much better Universities in London to work at.

Cons

One of my first observations of the Senior Management at the London Campus was how for such a successful campus, they don't really celebrate success, but thrive on negativity and make a huge deal over what were, in my opinion really minor matters. Like other comments for this campus, the pay rates are below other Universities in London, less annual leave as well compared to other Universites and the NEST pension is... an absolute insult at just 3% contribution when other Universities contribute so much more. Even the staff at the main Campus in Sunderland get a better benefits package than the staff in London, which is really ironic considering how the London Campus makes so much profit and is basically funding the main campus, since it's not doing so well financially.

Advice to Management

Not worth the energy of writing anything as they don't care or listen. My advice would be to get ride of most of the Senior Management as that's where the problem sits and it keeps on trickling down, hence the high staff turn over.

University of Sunderland2019-10-13
  2. "London Campus - TOXIC, don't work here."

Former Employee - Student Assistant in London, England

I worked at University of Sunderland full-time for more than a year

Pros

The support staff and lecturers work hard under a difficult structures. There are some good managers with a positive and supportive attitude towards their staff. Work/life balance is good. I didn't feel expected to work late, or do more than was required of my job role. The holidays are quite good.

Cons

The main issue with this campus is the senior management team. It is a toxic work environment which flows down from the top. Some of the senior managers are bullies, while the others sit back and watch. There is little respect, support or motivation given to the staff, especially in student services. It felt like we were constantly being criticised no matter how hard we worked. Staff who disagree or... challenge senior management are ostracised and/or bullied. The pension is poor. Main campus staff are treated differently to London Campus staff.

Advice to Management

Show some respect for your staff. Stop bullying. Why not try motivating, communicating and making it a great place to work. Why not listen to the staff and their ideas? Perhaps then there would not be such a high turnover of staff.

University of Sunderland2019-09-30
  3. "Brilliant place to work"

Current Employee - Digital Content Editor in London, England

I have been working at University of Sunderland full-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly, informative and kind staff

Cons

None so far, couldn't be happier!

University of Sunderland2019-08-19

October 7, 2019Marketing & Recruitment

Thank you for taking the time to review your current position with the University. We are so glad to hear that you are enjoying your time with us!

4. "Great Annual Leave"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Sunderland, North East England, England

I worked at University of Sunderland full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing annual leave entitlement from day 1, annual increase till top of grade

Cons

Clicky and stuck in ways

University of Sunderland2019-08-21

October 7, 2019Marketing & Recruitment

Thank you for taking the time to review your time with us. We appreciate your feedback and will pass it on to the relevant team for their consideration.

"Some of the old bones need replacing for more enthusiastic leaders"

Former Employee - Wish to Remain Anonymous LONDON CAMPUS in London, England

I worked at University of Sunderland full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most of the staff/lecturers are dedicated to helping and developing students. Services for students have come a long way in the time I was there and seemed to be going from strength to strength.

Cons

Certain bullying behaviour from certain members of senior staff, some had gone away when I left leaving only some black holes of despair and the organisation is far too top heavy. Not enough respect for people at the bottom/lecturers and the efforts they make to help the students.

Advice to Management

Make all staff feel valued. Offer some perks and better pension, not a nest pension that only casual workers in Sunderland get. I will admit that I enjoyed my time there for the most part and it was an amazing stepping stone.

University of Sunderland2019-08-05
  6. "Ex employee feedback"

Former Employee - Manager(Marketing and Communications)

I worked at University of Sunderland full-time

Pros

Excellent Team Management, Friendly work atmosphere and Supportive

Cons

Nothing to say specifically to down the Organization as ETHAMES successfully handled the task of student recruitment to University of Sunderland from India and other South Asian countries. Salaries are required to be hiked as per the current market.

Advice to Management

Wishing ETHAMES to take up new business ventures in overseas education.

University of Sunderland2019-07-09

"Avoid if at all possible - This review is for the London campus"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at University of Sunderland full-time

Pros

- Despite being quite a negative environment, many employees are very pleasant to work with. - The job designs are generally quite poor, so you do get a lot of experience across a range of functions and activities. - Generally good annual leave including 27 days annual in addition to bank holidays and Christmas closure. - They'll pay for you to attend graduation ceremonies, paying for your hotel and expenses,... which is quite lovely.

Cons

- The salaries are EXTREMELY poor! The salaries for each job post are probably around £4,000 below equivalent roles in other London HE institutions. This is something that can be researched very easily. They do say they provide LWA of around £1,000... maybe think about what this says about how much they value their staff. - The pension scheme is terrible for a HE institution. UoSiL use NEST and pay a mere 3% of... your salary into your pension. Most other HE institutions have really good DB schemes, for example, the main Sunderland campus uses LGPS for most grades and the employee contribution for this is 12%. Again, what does this suggest to you about how UoSiL see their staff? - They do not promote a Union to you, like all other Universities do. Ask yourself what that indicates. - The work is stressful and difficult due to poor job design. This makes for a low morale, high staff turnover and can take its toll personally. - The students aren't always the easiest to deal with. The Institution tends to attract individuals with educational attainment so low that other Universities won't accept them. Many of the students are there solely for the grants and living cost loans (which is understandable in the current political climate) and the Institution turns a blind eye to this as they want the tuition fee loans. This is often the worst thing for such students, as many struggle to get acceptable grades for employment, end up with debt and don't necessarily get a lot of social or welfare support whilst studying. - Following on from the previous point, some of the students are downright rude, inappropriate and unpleasant to deal with. This adds to the job dissatisfaction. - The Institution uses agents, who blatantly lie to the students about course availability and added extras, leaving them disappointed and as staff you have to deal with their understandably negative reactions! This is one of the extremely unethical aspects... it is downright scamming and immoral treatment of some already vulnerable and disadvantaged individuals in society. (You'd understand this more working in a role there). - The University doesn't operate like a University should. Whilst all Universities have seen a shift to more commercial practices, the UoSiL operates like a fully private sector entity. It is in fact listed as a limited company. It is my opinion that it exists solely to make money for the main campus. This practice is at the expense of disadvantaged students that need living cost money/have social disadvantages that don't allow them enter employment. This is probably another reason for the low salaries- market rate salaries are not seen as an appropriate expense of profits. - Indeed, there are 4 enrolment periods per year, they aim to fill as many spaces as possible and talk primarily in monetary terms, it is a bit unusual to place so much emphasis on this as a University. This many intakes is too much, it detracts from the quality the students get and some academics have admitted that they find it difficult to teach so constantly, but the reality is that 4 intakes makes a lot of money... £9,000 per student approximately. - The Students' Union is really poor and the students do not get services and 'added extras' comparable to most institutions. Which isn't very clear and really unfair. Another reason courses here are bad value for money and another indication of their profit centred approach. - They really sail upon the successes of the main UoS campus and use it to market UoSiL, which gives an inaccurate picture entirely!

Advice to Management

This will never be actioned, so only worth writing for the benefit of the audience. - £9,000 isn't an appropriate amount of money to be charging students, as the institution is such poor quality. UoS isn't well ranked anyway, if UoSiL was standalone, it would undoubtedly be in the bottom 5% across all measures. There is little value for money and the programmes are definitely not worth £9,000 and I think most... people externally, as well as many internally would agree with that! - Bring up your salaries to match every other 'credible' University in London. You won't do that, but it'll make your staff feel more appreciated, lower the turnover and boost morale. - Get rid of NEST and introduce LGPS like the main UoS campus. Again, this is too expensive and would lower your profits, so you won't do it! - You have some lovely and hardworking people working for you, do something tangible, such as the above to show you appreciate them! - Do not encourage students to stay if they- OR YOU- know the course isn't right for them. Also, don't allow them to stay for continual misconduct! Again, this moral and sensible action would result in money lost, so you won't do it! - Your general practices just aren't like those of normal Universities, it really is quite bizarre! - Ultimately, I think your institution is broadly detrimental to staff and students alike and should simply be decommissioned. I don't for a minute want anyone to lose their jobs, but I do want people to move on to the better working conditions that they deserve! They'd definitely deserve a good redundancy payout. As a final note, yes this is a critical review, but make no mistake that this is what many of your staff are thinking, even if they don't tell you! If there is a follow up comment trying to contest any of this, that's your call, but for any readers, I can assure you this is unembellished and fully accurate to the best of my knowledge. If you take up a post here, you will see this bad environment and treatment for yourself. However, you will certainly have good people to work with for the most part. Use the place as a stepping stone for your career, but don't get comfortable, it only gets vastly better after this!

University of Sunderland2019-02-27

April 3, 2019HR Adviser

Dear Employee, I note that you are still employed by the University, therefore I would encourage you to speak to the Director of London Campus or the Human Resource team about your concerns and observations that you listed in your review. I am sure you are aware, we also regularly consult with staff representatives. If you feel unable to speak to either the Director or Human Resources, this might also be a useful route for you to share your concerns internally. Regards Ilona Lewicka HR Manager

8. "Digitam Marketing Coordinator"

I have been working at University of Sunderland full-time

Pros

Great team and amazing work-life balance.

Cons

Communication between departments could be better.

University of Sunderland2018-09-23

April 18, 2019Head of HR Business Partnering

Thank you very much for your positive review. Feedback from our staff does show that we are considered a friendly place to work.

9. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunderland, North East England, England

I worked at University of Sunderland part-time for more than a year

Pros

Social activity, constantly busy, chances to make friends from many different countries on the planet.

Cons

Can be open until quite late in some departments such as the library. There is no 9 - 5 and they do sometimes require weekend work.

University of Sunderland2018-07-24

April 18, 2019Head of HR Business Partnering

Thank you for your positive review. Our exit interview analysis shows that 100% of our leavers would work for us again and also recommend to a friend.

10. "Nice"

I have been working at University of Sunderland full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good leave and close down holidays Nice location

Cons

Salary grades not competative in region

University of Sunderland2018-03-25

April 18, 2018Marketing & Recruitment

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience of working at the University of Sunderland. We appreciate your feedback.

Found 25 reviews