University of Tennessee Medical Center Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 2, 2019

Found 121 reviews

3.9
Joseph R. Landsman Jr.
Pros
  • "Dedicated team to provide top patient care and support team members(in 9 reviews)

• "Great people who are there to serve patients and provide high quality care(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Revolving door of upper management in the emergency department for past several years leads to instability in the department(in 5 reviews)

• "(in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Manager"

I have been working at University of Tennessee Medical Center full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great hospital and great staff. Only place I’ve worked where we all work as a team and leadership value their employees.

Cons

As in every large hospital, parking

University of Tennessee Medical Center2018-11-13

University of Tennessee Medical Center Response

December 12, 2018

Thank you for your continued service. We strive to live our values everyday in everything we do.

2. "Magnet means Excellence"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at University of Tennessee Medical Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working in a teaching hospital where nurses participate in a shared-governance model for professional nursing has been a very empowering experience. I love that I have a strong team who I can rely on to help provide safe and efficient patient care. The physicians and clinicians who work at UT Medical center strive for excellence in all that they do, and that is very evident in the care provided everyday to our patients.

Cons

Don't work here if you don't want to stay busy! There is always something to do when you serve such a large community.

Advice to Management

Continue to be involved in direct patient care and develop personal relationships with your employees.

University of Tennessee Medical Center2019-07-02
  3. "Amazing"

Current Employee - Supervisor

Pros

wonderful team to work along side daily. We pull together to serve the highest level of care for patients and families and supporting each other through all the highs and lows of working in a level one trauma center.

Cons

high stress loads however best rewards!

University of Tennessee Medical Center2019-07-02
  4. "Excellent Care and Awesome Workplace"

Current Employee - RN COORDINATOR in Knoxville, TN

Pros

We are a team working for our patients! Working here several years, has allowed many opportunities to explore different areas within the institution! Opportunities are plentiful with hard work and dedication. It amazes me how much everyone gets involved including Senior management to ensure our patients receive the best care. I have personally encouraged many family and friends to join our work family! Opportunities for...

Cons

Not really any cons that would deter you from working here, and enjoying your job!

Advice to Management

Keep up the Great work, and Thank You for being involved in the Patient Experience!

University of Tennessee Medical Center2019-06-27
  5. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at University of Tennessee Medical Center full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

UTMC is a great place to work. As a Magnet organization, they value nurses! Nurses are part of the decision making process and truly have a voice. The culture is built on teamwork, they encourage furthering education, and focus on patient and team member safety. I am proud to work at UTMC!

Cons

No cons to share...this is a great place to work!

University of Tennessee Medical Center2019-06-27
  6. "Amazing culture! Top Benefits!"

Current Employee - Director in Knoxville, TN

Pros

Academic Medical Center. Dedicated team to provide top patient care and support team members

Cons

Parking can be a challenge

University of Tennessee Medical Center2019-06-21
  7. "I didn't leave on bad terms"

Former Employee - Emergency Department RN in Knoxville, TN

I worked at University of Tennessee Medical Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

you get to meet the best people that you will EVER work with very close-knit environment the support and teamwork that you receive from your coworkers is unparalleled

Cons

see "advice to management" section of this review

Advice to Management

require your team leaders/managers have at least 7+ years experience and a master's degree in their field before they run the place into the ground :)

University of Tennessee Medical Center2019-06-25
  8. "Too much for too little"

Former Employee - CNA in Knoxville, TN

Pros

Health Benefits ,paid time off , and teamwork environment, free flu shot yearly.

Cons

High stress with very fast pace,. Too much work put on everyone. Patient ratio per person is rediculous.

Advice to Management

Get more help and pay them better if you want quality workers

University of Tennessee Medical Center2019-06-26
  9. "Good to get foot in the door bad for long time employment"

Current Employee - Sterile Processing Technician in Knoxville, TN

Pros

Gets your foot in the door as they'll hire entry lvl and pay for your exam if you pass it.

Cons

For a training hospital the training is a joke. Understaffed because pay is low and people's attitudes are poor. Chase away hard workers because there is no accountability for doing things not to standard. Honestly I'm surprised there haven't been more inquiries with infection control. No one cares about patient safety.

Advice to Management

Get someone actually certified to run the department. Start doing monthly in services. Train people using the actual information that is on the exams and hold people accountable.

University of Tennessee Medical Center2019-06-08
  10. "Numbers, Numbers, Numbers"

Current Employee - Home Health RN in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at University of Tennessee Medical Center part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay Friendly coworkers Up to date Tablet documentation

Cons

Anywhere from 2-5 emails daily regarding numbers and scores that we must reach and a revolving list of things we must begin doing/saying, change or discontinue. Patients seems to be not much more than a survey score.

Advice to Management

Let’s start talking about patients as people and less as a ‘good survey potential’. Also, the turnover rate might not be so high if schedules we’re planned with location and driving distances in mind. A full schedule with 2-3 hours of driving only means even more charting once we’re home.

University of Tennessee Medical Center2019-05-02