University of Texas at Arlington Reviews | Glassdoor

University of Texas at Arlington President Vistasp M. Karbhari
Vistasp M. Karbhari

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Low pay in the Business School compared to the Engineering School (in 21 reviews)

• Being a student worker i believe there are no cons for this position (in 16 reviews)

1. "They don't pay for the work that you do"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor

I have been working at University of Texas at Arlington full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It close to commute and has health insurance. I don't have anything else to say.

Cons

No raise pay is so little like you work at grocery shop or fast food with no college degree.

Advice to Management

Stop creating new positions and give pay increase your current employees

2. "Center for Environmental Excellence - Natural Resource Specialist"

Current Employee - Natural Resource Specialist in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Natural Resource Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at University of Texas at Arlington full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits are the only pros.

Cons

Management is inconsistent and instead of managing they monitor. Also their system is archaic. Pay is low and is a dead end career.

Advice to Management

Become consistent with with management and stop treating employees like little school children.

3. "Research Scientist"

I have been working at University of Texas at Arlington full-time

Pros

They had free food sometimes.

Cons

No room for growth.
    Inbalance between upper management and lower level staff

Advice to Management

Try to be sensitive to your colleagues

4. "ok"

Former Employee - Janitor in Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Janitor in Arlington, TX

Pros

sometimes less work to do

Cons

sometimes you have to deal with nonsense stuff

"Corporate University, Of, By, and For Administration"

Pros

Many students are motivated and hardworking; Many faculty are talented

Cons

Administration priorities are set by how well they allow the President to game the Carnegie evaluation metrics to claim advancement, regardless of whether they serve the interests of students, faculty, or staff. Tenure and promotion decisions are made arbitrarily and in disregard of the merits, often in accordance with the Prime Directive of gaming the Carnegie metrics (if research doesn't tick a box, it doesn't have value). Faculty morale is awful. Students sense that their education is a low priority for the administration. Administration has grown in size and titles have proliferated, while full-time tenure-line faculty has stagnated or shrunk. Staff are paid terribly, leading to rapid turnover, leading to inefficiency in handling basic university business. UTA is approaching being a total Potemkin Tier One university, but by the time anyone figures it out, Vistasp Karbhari will have bounced to be the president of a some other university and some other president will be hired to use the university as his or her own personal springboard up the career administration pyramid.

Advice to Management

Would it matter?

6. "GTA"

Current Employee - GTA in Arlington, TX
    Current Employee - GTA in Arlington, TX

I have been working at University of Texas at Arlington part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The good thing is that you can have free dental and vision health insurance if you use student insurance, which is not covered by the offer.

Cons

Poor educational level.
    Poor research level.
    You need to enroll class to get a summer job.
    You can only enroll three classes each semester or you need to pay extra tuition.

Advice to Management

If the benefits of GTA can be improved it will be a better place.
    Sometimes you need to spend more than 20 hours a week to get the 20 hours wage.

"UTA Library management uses scorched earth management style"

Current Employee - Library in Arlington, TX
    Current Employee - Library in Arlington, TX

I have been working at University of Texas at Arlington full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The building has a convenient central location on campus. That isn't twenty words so I'll repeat, the building has a convenient central location on campus.

Cons

If you walk into the building you will see shiny new equipment, re-imagined library spaces (such as the FabLab and various office suites for counselling, etc), and departments with students and staff alike working to generate online collections as UTA competes with other fine libraries to put our previously cloistered resources in a place where the world can make use of them. This is a good thing - but it comes at a steep cost and has squandered the personnel resources available in the library.

Three years ago, after running extensive and exhausting (perhaps also exhaustive) studies, the library Administration felt they knew what students, faculty, and outside stakeholders wanted. The result involved taking most Library staff and librarians out of jobs for which they had applied and were well trained, and putting them in positions where they were ill-equipped to succeed. Department chairs were demoted and a few favored librarians received large bonuses, pay raises, and prestigious positions. These were, notably, also the people who had time to run those studies earlier in the year.

What the administration failed to do before enacting this reorganization is two-fold: they didn't understand that many of us were doing the work of two and three positions because hiring was put on hold until the new dean arrived, and even then it didn't resume. Many of us were still too swamped to also participate in those studies. Second, the jobs we were appointed to, for most of us, were a slap in the face - they showed no understanding of what our actual job skills were and no acknowledgement of all of the extra work we had done leading up to the change.

This experience was across the board. Librarians, Library Assistants (there were four levels of LA here), and professionals in other support fields were haphazardly deposited in lower-level positions, while their original more interesting jobs were given to the favored librarians. Those employees who could left for other jobs, while some simply quit and walked away. Those who are older have had difficulties finding new jobs, partly because they were so severely wounded by the reorganization. Their job histories now reflect demotion - and who, as a new employer, wants to take a risk on someone who must have done something wrong to have this happen?

Let me be clear: If we had seen these job openings during our original job searches with UTA, we wouldn't have applied for them. And if we had applied, we wouldn't have been considered qualified to do them. This reorganization was the singular most demoralizing event that has happened in this library in the decades I have worked here. Many of us lost status in the reorganization - this wasn't about breaking down silos - this was about discarding people at the top of their game and building new silos. Few of us now actually know what our co-workers in other departments are doing. And since the reset button was pushed on Sept. 1, 2013, we have lost more than 2/3 of the original staff of about 110 people.

In February library staff faced further demoralization when the library administration called all Library Assistants (1-4) and an administrative assistant into the parlor to announce a new big deal - we were all now going to be Library Specialists. So instead of occupying jobs that required some college, or at least a BA, we now only need a high school diploma or a GED. And to play well with others. The next day we were compelled to sign the papers changing our job descriptions, with little reflection and no legal consultation. And now all of those library staff, no long differentiated by rank, seniority, skill sets, and more, are tossed into a sweatshop with student employees and we are all doing the same thing. Scanning and posting metadata. Work that many of us would have never have applied to do.

An external review process is underway (July 2016), and has been thwarted by the library administration office. A report was supposed to be presented to staff for review who could then offer comments to outside auditors, but when meetings happened staff were clueless as to why the meetings were called and the auditors had to explain about a self-assessment completed by the administration office. Notetakers were present at the meetings, further intimidating staff who might otherwise have spoken about current conditions. Staff was already on edge due to the firing of two senior staff members three days earlier, in time to exclude their complaints from this meeting.

It's a tyranny of numbers staff are up against - it looks like the library is working because so many students and staff are turning out widgets, while others are discarding our print collection to make room for the new uses the dean has in mind for the building. Many of our new employees haven't quite figured out what happened here, but we've lost several of them recently as they realize promises were made that will never be kept. We're all supposed to tell a sunny story of the work our new administration office has done. But readers need to know that there are many truths involved in this story, and that this library functions in spite of the reorg, because library people are naturally helpful and gregarious. Eventually enough of the old staff will be replaced that this all might be moot. But we're not there yet, and those who survived the reorganization need to report out to someone who is actually paying attention to this activity and can offer some remedy.

Advice to Management

The entire library administration needs to be removed and replaced with library professionals who put the welfare of both the staff and the customers first.

8. "Teaching at UTA"

I worked at University of Texas at Arlington full-time

Pros

Flexible schedule and access to resources.

Cons

Lack of support for people not graduated at UTA

9. "Getting benefits"

Pros

Good insurance, health benefits through gym,

Cons

On your own to establish your benefits.
    HR does not contact you if you miss a deadline.
    Have two different sites to look at benefits. Very confusing. Easy to file for benefits on the wrong site then HR will not retro your benefits .
    Students will be carrying guns into classrooms and offices.

Advice to Management

Make it very clear, by email and personally contacting each new employee, as to which website is the official site for applying for benefits. Make sure each new employee has properly applied for all benefits available. Stop pushing your responsiblilities onto the new employee. Stop refusing the retro benefits when it is your fault the emplyee did not receive those benefits.

"Worst place to work at"

Current Employee - Student Assistant in Arlington, TX
    Current Employee - Student Assistant in Arlington, TX

I have been working at University of Texas at Arlington (More than a year)

Pros

The only positive thing about this place is that they pay on time. Other than that there's nothing.

Cons

Worst managed place to work.