University of Toronto Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Meric Gertler

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance may be difficult (in 11 reviews)

• Though the hourly rate is quite high, unfortunately we are not offered too many working hours due to the visa limit for international students (in 19 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

I have been working at University of Toronto full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

freedom, flexibility, not over-burdened with committee work

Cons

large university where you can feel lost. Commuting time to outer campuses is brutal

2. "Low pay but excellent research environment."

I have been working at University of Toronto full-time

Pros

Excellent Research Environment, get to work with world class researchers

Cons

Low Pay, still have to pay tuition

Advice to Management

Increase pay!

3. "Teacher Assistant"

I worked at University of Toronto part-time

Pros

The hourly pay of around $42 is better than most other schools. Particularly, considering the fact that you will probably end up working fewer hours than what is mentioned on your contract.

Cons

Some faculty members in the sciences departments do not treat the TAs very well and put too much pressure on them.

Advice to Management

TAs are your graduate students. You should cut them some slack. TAing should not come at the cost of the students' course and/or research performance.

5. "unfair hiring and remuneration"

I have been working at University of Toronto (More than 10 years)

Pros

U of T has an enormous donor and alumni base and is building at record pace. The newer facilities are state-of-the-art; full-time employees are very well remunerated (though the men more so than the women); administrators enter the "Sunshine Club" in record numbers each year and emeritus professors are regularly nominated by their institutional peers to the Order of Canada.

Cons

The wealth unfortunately stops at the level of permanent employees although contract faculty and unionized workers provide 60-70% of the instruction, struggling with wages typically under the poverty level. The latter have no security of employment or meaningful benefits, and are considered expendable by the former, despite equivalent degrees and long years of experience in academia. Students are considered "basic income units" by the ever-ballooning legions of administrators.

Advice to Management

Recognize, remunerate, and retain your valuable assets: contract faculty. Transparency goes a long way in securing the loyalty of both students and faculty and the patronage of alumni.

6. "Enjoyed time there"

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

Pros

There are good benefits and people are nice.

Cons

Housing in the area is very expensive.

7. "Great work life balance"

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at University of Toronto full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great work life balance.

Cons

Compensation well below market rates.

8. "Teaching assistant"

I worked at University of Toronto part-time

Pros

Other than for lecturing, flexible hours. Compensation is also favourable and union tends to be helpful and proactive.

Cons

Your time there will be highly dependent on the professor for whom you TA. Some are very easygoing, supporting, and helpful, others are just the opposite.

9. "Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at University of Toronto full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunch and catering, nice colleagues so its easy to mingle during social hours. Also not that bad management, they care for their employees and I felf I belong to them.

Cons

Not a lot of advancement. There not much room to show what I am capable of, which I think is most important in a large company. Why work for a company when you do not get that amount of compensation?

Advice to Management

Overall I love the company. I think the company should focus on getting new products out for free. Free means a lot to user base and expanding this is critical

10. "Teaching Assistant"

I worked at University of Toronto full-time (More than a year)

Pros

TAed in engineering sciences program for two years. Work independently at your own schedule with minimal supervision, though help is available when you need it.

Cons

Can be stressful. Also, work tends to come in big waves in mid and end of semester projects and exam marking.

Advice to Management

The only advice I have is that management should have consequences for poor TA/Prof reviews, and generally take the, more seriously.

11. "Reviers"

Pros

has a great environment for student and it helps create an area where they are pushed in order to succeed and do the best that they can

Cons

costs obviously are a downside with any other school. the size of the school is also a downside to most people anyways but it depends on their own taste

Advice to Management

Good job and obviously just do the best that you guys can with the resources that you are provided by the public and the country