University of Toronto Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 11, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The work/life balance may be difficult to kept during the terms that you attend courses (in 12 reviews)

• Low Pay, still have to pay tuition (in 22 reviews)

1. "Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at University of Toronto full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunch and catering, nice colleagues so its easy to mingle during social hours. Also not that bad management, they care for their employees and I felf I belong to them.

Cons

Not a lot of advancement. There not much room to show what I am capable of, which I think is most important in a large company. Why work for a company when you do not get that amount of compensation?

Advice to Management

Overall I love the company. I think the company should focus on getting new products out for free. Free means a lot to user base and expanding this is critical

2. "Teaching Assistant"

I worked at University of Toronto full-time (More than a year)

Pros

TAed in engineering sciences program for two years. Work independently at your own schedule with minimal supervision, though help is available when you need it.

Cons

Can be stressful. Also, work tends to come in big waves in mid and end of semester projects and exam marking.

Advice to Management

The only advice I have is that management should have consequences for poor TA/Prof reviews, and generally take the, more seriously.

3. "Reviers"

Pros

has a great environment for student and it helps create an area where they are pushed in order to succeed and do the best that they can

Cons

costs obviously are a downside with any other school. the size of the school is also a downside to most people anyways but it depends on their own taste

Advice to Management

Good job and obviously just do the best that you guys can with the resources that you are provided by the public and the country

4. "Student"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at University of Toronto (Less than a year)

Pros

it is a good place to study. i really like the place and the way teacher teach here. Even the environment is good too

Cons

did not find much cons however there is less fun because of overburden

Advice to Management

they can give students more oppotunity to explore

5. "Grad Student"

Pros

You'll be doing some interesting research

Cons

The financial compensation is not great

6. "Great place to work"

I have been working at University of Toronto full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

freedom, flexibility, not over-burdened with committee work

Cons

large university where you can feel lost. Commuting time to outer campuses is brutal

7. "Grad Student"

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at University of Toronto full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's a really great place for science grad school with lots of very smart people and access to everything you need to do good research.

Cons

If your experience/research is atypical, i.e. doesn't fit into a specific and typical category you may have challenges finding employment. If typical job descriptions don't exactly match what you did during your research you may have problems.

Advice to Management

For the love of all that is holy, help science grad students find jobs. Law school has internships that often lead to employment and certainly provide contacts/networking and experience. Med school has practical placements. Science for some reason is a professional field where there is absolutely no assistance transitioning from academics to the real world. In fact, internships and outside experience are often discouraged by publication hungry advisors. Any time spent outside of the lab hurts your advisors productivity. Being in the academic bubble for 5 years and then trying to break out with no experience, and having no mentors with experience outside of academics, is so very hard. I've seen friends in law school and medicine just walk into positions straight after graduation because of internships, summer work programs, or placements. No such luck for scientists.

"Teaching Assistant"

Pros

The hourly pay is quite high compared to other universities or graduate programs. It's a relatively easy way to finance education.

Cons

The overall experience largely depends on which professor you TA for. If you get a nice professor, then the experience can be easy and fun. Otherwise, ...

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Try to ensure that professors' demands stay within the TA job descriptions. Training sessions were informative.

9. "Grad Student"

Current Employee - PhD Student
    Current Employee - PhD Student

I have been working at University of Toronto full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I got to work on projects of my own making for five years, what's not to like?

Cons

You're a grad student, everything you've heard is probably accurate. The hours are long, the pay is awful, but you get a PhD out of the deal.

Advice to Management

This is academia, it's kind of an internship. I don't really expect much more than I got

10. "Friendly people but loads of inefficiencies and complete lack of innovation"

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at University of Toronto part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Especially good that you are surrounded by students or alumni that care for UofT

Cons

No way to recommend something as everything has been planned for the year ahead and you are no one to have a say

Advice to Management

Have more brainstorming sessions with students that work for you to realize what will actually be beneficial for them instead of assuming

Showing 925 of 1,132 reviews