University of Utah Hospitals & Clinics Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
David Entwistle

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • pay for parking, limited lounge/locker room space (in 5 reviews)

• Long shifts (12 hour shifts but most end up being well over 12 hours if not 13 most days) (in 3 reviews)

"Great employer! Only left because of long commute."

Former Employee - Registered Nurse, BSN in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse, BSN in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at University of Utah Hospitals & Clinics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits and training. Felt supported by unit management and hospital administration. Focus on evidence-based practice and teaching. Would recommend to anyone.

Cons

The main hospital is not easily accessible for those who commute from anywhere other than downtown SLC. Free access to public transit was a provided benefit, but using this option doubled my commute time.

2. "Great place to work, extremely limited career mobility"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at University of Utah Hospitals & Clinics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love the innovative nature of an academic medical institution. The executive leadership team is approachable and responsive. Excellent health and retirement benefits.

Cons

After working at UUHC for 5+ years, I have hit a ceiling in my upward mobility to management, even with Masters degrees in healthcare management. HR's requirements have become so impossibly rigid that young, talented leaders are taking their knowledge and skills to other organizations to get management experience and the much-needed pay bump to accommodate the student loans taken on to attain a Masters level education. This is a mistake I think the organization will realize when their pool for entry-level management positions consists only of staff with Bachelors degrees who have been there for 10+ years and have known no other way of daily operations; innovation will be squashed and home-grown talent will leave to other organizations.

Advice to Management

Look at candidates as a whole, and what they bring to the table aside from an arbitrary number for years of experience. I value promoting from within, but not when Masters level candidates are being beat out for entry-level managerial positions by Bachelors level candidates with no other experience except within UUHC. You are literally chasing away talent and thwarting the growth of the organization by promoting individuals who are unable to advance past entry-level management positions because they only have Bachelors degrees. As an academic medical institution, I have seen little value placed on education when it comes to career advancement.

3. "Great Company and Benefits"

I worked at University of Utah Hospitals & Clinics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people throughout all levels of the organization and they seem to really care.
      Good compensation and a great benefits package.

Cons

Large organization so things have to go through lots of channels.

4. "Decent Workplace"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at University of Utah Hospitals & Clinics (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive Benefits
    This hospital has probably one of the more diverse staff within SLC valley
    This place hires a lot of HCA/CNA's compared to other places, thus, a lot of help for the RNs.
    Level 1 trauma hospital.

Cons

They pay really low. I've worked at other states as an RN, I took a huge pay cut coming here.
    Parking during the day time is chaos and expensive.
    Variable Day/Night schedule just does not work.
     Crowded hospital.

5. "A solid place to work, but limited upward mobility."

Current Employee - Business Intelligence Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Business Intelligence Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at University of Utah Hospitals & Clinics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good culture with great benefits. Leadership is open to innovation opportunities.

Cons

HR has become overly rigid with requirements which has translated into young employees being denied upward mobility within the organization.

Advice to Management

Remember that growing talent within the organization is beneficial. HR has changed my view of U of U Health and made me look elsewhere due to their overly rigid experience requirements to move into a manager role. It seems they are hell bent on their own goals and don't have the broader, long term organizational interest in mind.

6. "Excellent Company Really Cares About Employees"

Current Employee - Identity Integrity Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Identity Integrity Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at University of Utah Hospitals & Clinics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Constant drive for improvement and quality
    Patients and employees are highly valued
    Great benefits

Cons

Some departments are isolated, interdepartmental communication could improve

7. "ER Tech"

I have been working at University of Utah Hospitals & Clinics full-time

Pros

Great exposure to patient care

Cons

Not great if you're not used to being on feet all day

8. "Changing"

Pros

Benefits, access to multiple healthcare lines, public transportation system, multiple clinics diversity, some advancement opportunities (only if you belong to a special group),.

Cons

Management has vague. No CEO, No COO for past two years. Looking at bottom line more recently than in the past. Patients are seen as financial pluses and not humans.

Advice to Management

Be more open with your plans. Do not make new select groups that all think alike. Make sure everyone is heard even if it wasn't what you want. Get out of meetings and meet the people who work day to day.

9. "Medical Assistant"

I worked at University of Utah Hospitals & Clinics part-time

Pros

Benefits for part-time, great place to work, great pay, they have a big emphasis on teaching and learning.

Cons

There aren’t many clinics, could be a commute.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees a little more.

10. "Full time instructional designer"

Current Employee - Instructional Designer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Instructional Designer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at University of Utah Hospitals & Clinics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture at U health is positive and collaborative. On boarding was very smooth and organized. I love my job!

Cons

I would like to still have the option to contribute to an HSA rather than FSA. Other than that, there are no cons.