University of Utah Hospitals & Clinics Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.0
David Entwistle

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good compensation and a great benefits package" (in 37 reviews)

• "Good Benefits including transportation" (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • "pay for parking, limited lounge/locker room space" (in 5 reviews)

• "Even with the pass parking is far away and hard to find" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Medical Coding"

I have been working at University of Utah Hospitals & Clinics full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very amazing workplace to be in

Cons

Luck of Training and building career opportunities

2. "u of u"

Current Employee - HCA in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - HCA in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at University of Utah Hospitals & Clinics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benifits, and flexible.

Cons

Hard to get in.

3. "Overall opinion"

Former Employee - EMT-B in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - EMT-B in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at University of Utah Hospitals & Clinics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, including health insurance, gym discounts, 401k, discounts to local businesses. There is a strong emphasis in education, where they will help you maintain certifications, give extra training, and provide amazing courses. Work environment completely depends on which department you work for. There is a program called "Imagine Perfect Care" where any employee can submit ideas to improve the hospital. Upper management even recognizes these efforts, and I think that program gives a lot of unity to the organization.

Cons

Giving parking to employees was evidently not a priority of the University of Utah. They provide UTA passes, paid parking lot (far away from hospital requiring shuttle) or a free parking lot (even further away from hospital and the waiting list to get this pass is endless), but as an employee who worked unusual clinical hours, these options were just not helpful. I felt that they didn't value their employees this way.
    The University of Utah does not pay as well as other hospitals in the area, like IHC hospitals.

4. "Revenue Cycle Support Services"

I have been working at University of Utah Hospitals & Clinics full-time

Pros

Leadership practices what they preach when it comes to core values

Cons

The building is a little outdated, but overall still a great environment

5. "UofU"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at University of Utah Hospitals & Clinics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits
    Tuition discount
    Good "work family"

Cons

Management tends to be a mess and the company continues to make cutbacks

6. "RN"

Pros

The BEST place I've ever worked, only left due to relocation for significant others job. Very clean and well-maintained hospital. Staff at all levels were amazing. Enjoyed working and learning with the residents. Nice to have all hands on deck when there's an emergency. The best teamwork I have ever experienced! Truly miss that place. Plus got to love the 24hr full-service Starbucks in the main lobby!

Cons

Pay is lower than average for nurses in the US.

7. "HR Department Very Incompetent, Leadership Lacks Integrity and Vision"

Current Employee - Business Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Business Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at University of Utah Hospitals & Clinics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great health benefits, retirement, flexibility

Cons

Very hostile working environment, not friendly to pregnant or nursing women, the business services building downtown does not have sufficient mother's rooms to pump, the parking is terrible and I almost got hurt from construction projects done on site, not ADA/wheelchair friendly, breaking multiple federal/state regulations, HR messed up my enrollment dates for health insurance so I had a lapse in coverage while pregnant with a high risk baby, very unprofessional and not supportive.

Advice to Management

Give more training to leadership and staff about leadership, integrity, diversity, and respect. Chief Medical Information Officer is condescending to females in the work place as well as other male leaders. Female leaders at the U are often very self-centered and manipulative. They need to work on building teams and having less political drama and red tape and focus truly on the patients and the employees well-being. Leadership also lacks vision around financial planning and it has been a hot mess ever since Vivian Lee stepped down. The uncertainty with new leadership coming on has been very rocky.

8. "HIM Technician"

Current Employee - HIM Technician in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - HIM Technician in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at University of Utah Hospitals & Clinics part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay. Great Boss! I love my job.

Cons

Sometimes can be boring but sometimes there's always something new to learn.

It's not easy to move up because everybody love their job so ... No position open to move up. When the big boss retired that's the time everybody move up because position starts to open.

9. "Great providers and benefits, management needs improvement"

Pros

-Amazing Providers
    -Great patients and families
    -Decent wage

Cons

No oversight of clinic managers
    HR rep and manager are friends, so no one feels comfortable filing complaints

Advice to Management

When a clinic (Pediatrics, Clinic 6) has nearly 80% of it’s staff overturn in such a short period of time, maybe check in with the employees that are still there to see what’s going on and how we can be better supported. Even exit interviews of those leaving would be helpful. I assure you there is a reason. It’s not coincidence that everyone found new jobs within a few months. We continue to “do great” according to the EPE scores and we get a pretty little plaque to hang on our wall. Maybe when you guys bring by our plaque and treats and read good patients reviews, you should spend that time talking to staff and getting their feedback.

Also, building a brand new building right next to the school of medicine, but not having enough space for half the outpatient clinics is ridiculous. You make enough money to change the logo, maybe spend some of it on ensuring your patients will have clinics to be seen in after the building is torn down. This also causes major concern with staff. At this point, we speculate we may be losing our jobs and our providers will be dispersed out to community clinics. We don’t see another possible outcome since the Univeristy apparently doesn’t make room for the clinics that aren’t performing surgeries and bringing in big money.

Lastly, parking. WTF!? Get it together. Employee parking is a joke. Patient parking sucks just as bad. We lose patients constantly due to them not being able to find parking. Patients are constantly late due to parking, some are turned away, others are seen but it puts everyone’s schedule behind. Use those brains that created the new “University of Utah Health” brand and logo, and fix the parking. All those brilliant minds have to have a solution somewhere.

10. "Quality Specialist"

Former Employee - Quality Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Quality Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at University of Utah Hospitals & Clinics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits with health insurance and 401 matching.

Cons

The security of your job depends on your manager. I had the best and the worst managers while working at the U for almost 11 years.

Advice to Management

New managers need to be the trained by a seasoned manager with good people skills.