University of Utah Hospitals & Clinics Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 8, 2018

4.0
David Entwistle

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "They have great benefits and offer tuition discounts for full time employees" (in 38 reviews)

• "Good Benefits including transportation" (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • "pay for parking, limited lounge/locker room space" (in 5 reviews)

• "long commute, never a fan of 12 hour shifts" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Huntsman Cancer Hospital is the best place to work!"

Current Employee - Medical Assistant in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Medical Assistant in Lehi, UT

I have been working at University of Utah Hospitals & Clinics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great leadership! Employees are valued! Health benefits are good! Everyone works as a great team!

Cons

Parking.... commute. Hard to say goodbye to patients when they pass away.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!! Huntsman Cancer Hospital is best possible place to be employed!

2. "Research Scientist"

Pros

Good benefit package, very friendly environment, stress free and a good life/work balance

Cons

not much of growth in career, research moves very slow

"Excellent company"

I have been working at University of Utah Hospitals & Clinics full-time

Pros

I have worked here for over 2 years. They have great benefits and offer tuition discounts for full time employees

Cons

You have to buy an expensive parking pass to park for work unless you take public transit, which is free with your employee badge.

4. "Good benefits, but lots of bureaucracy"

Current Employee - Communications Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Communications Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

A lot of benefits, pay is decent.

Cons

While medically speaking, the U is very innovative. From a administrative side, however, there is a lot of bureaucracy and red tape that creates barriers and challenge to get things done. As a young professional, it can also be a challenge to contribute in a meaningful way when the executive board is incredibly conservative, set in their ways, and predominately male. Was told very early on to 'remember my place,' and have received hand slaps for speaking up and challenging the 'just the way we do things,' mentality. The U is obviously an incredible organization, and I can understand why they want to maintain their ways, but I can't even get people to use a project management tool because they don't want to learn a new tool (that could really improve our processes and solve team problems, I might add).

The organization is very big, which results in a lot of small departments/teams who work in silos. This makes growth opportunities incredibly difficult. If I want to grow my career, I will need to leave my department and seek a different position within the organization.

Advice to Management

Combine teams and provide more opportunities for growth. Don't be so resistant to change and learning new ways to do things.

5. "Medical Coding"

I have been working at University of Utah Hospitals & Clinics full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very amazing workplace to be in

Cons

Luck of Training and building career opportunities

6. "u of u"

Current Employee - HCA in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - HCA in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Great benifits, and flexible.

Cons

Hard to get in.

7. "Overall opinion"

Former Employee - EMT-B in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - EMT-B in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at University of Utah Hospitals & Clinics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, including health insurance, gym discounts, 401k, discounts to local businesses. There is a strong emphasis in education, where they will help you maintain certifications, give extra training, and provide amazing courses. Work environment completely depends on which department you work for. There is a program called "Imagine Perfect Care" where any employee can submit ideas to improve the hospital. Upper management even recognizes these efforts, and I think that program gives a lot of unity to the organization.

Cons

Giving parking to employees was evidently not a priority of the University of Utah. They provide UTA passes, paid parking lot (far away from hospital requiring shuttle) or a free parking lot (even further away from hospital and the waiting list to get this pass is endless), but as an employee who worked unusual clinical hours, these options were just not helpful. I felt that they didn't value their employees this way.
    The University of Utah does not pay as well as other hospitals in the area, like IHC hospitals.

8. "Revenue Cycle Support Services"

I have been working at University of Utah Hospitals & Clinics full-time

Pros

Leadership practices what they preach when it comes to core values

Cons

The building is a little outdated, but overall still a great environment

9. "UofU"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at University of Utah Hospitals & Clinics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits
    Tuition discount
    Good "work family"

Cons

Management tends to be a mess and the company continues to make cutbacks

"RN"

Pros

The BEST place I've ever worked, only left due to relocation for significant others job. Very clean and well-maintained hospital. Staff at all levels were amazing. Enjoyed working and learning with the residents. Nice to have all hands on deck when there's an emergency. The best teamwork I have ever experienced! Truly miss that place. Plus got to love the 24hr full-service Starbucks in the main lobby!

Cons

Pay is lower than average for nurses in the US.