University of Utah Hospitals & Clinics Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.0
David Entwistle

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good compensation and a great benefits package" (in 32 reviews)

• "Good Benefits including transportation" (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • "pay for parking, limited lounge/locker room space" (in 5 reviews)

• "Long shifts (12 hour shifts but most end up being well over 12 hours if not 13 most days)" (in 3 reviews)

1. "HIM Technician"

Current Employee - HIM Technician in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - HIM Technician in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at University of Utah Hospitals & Clinics part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay. Great Boss! I love my job.

Cons

Sometimes can be boring but sometimes there's always something new to learn.

It's not easy to move up because everybody love their job so ... No position open to move up. When the big boss retired that's the time everybody move up because position starts to open.

2. "Great providers and benefits, management needs improvement"

Pros

-Amazing Providers
    -Great patients and families
    -Decent wage

Cons

No oversight of clinic managers
    HR rep and manager are friends, so no one feels comfortable filing complaints

Advice to Management

When a clinic (Pediatrics, Clinic 6) has nearly 80% of it’s staff overturn in such a short period of time, maybe check in with the employees that are still there to see what’s going on and how we can be better supported. Even exit interviews of those leaving would be helpful. I assure you there is a reason. It’s not coincidence that everyone found new jobs within a few months. We continue to “do great” according to the EPE scores and we get a pretty little plaque to hang on our wall. Maybe when you guys bring by our plaque and treats and read good patients reviews, you should spend that time talking to staff and getting their feedback.

Also, building a brand new building right next to the school of medicine, but not having enough space for half the outpatient clinics is ridiculous. You make enough money to change the logo, maybe spend some of it on ensuring your patients will have clinics to be seen in after the building is torn down. This also causes major concern with staff. At this point, we speculate we may be losing our jobs and our providers will be dispersed out to community clinics. We don’t see another possible outcome since the Univeristy apparently doesn’t make room for the clinics that aren’t performing surgeries and bringing in big money.

Lastly, parking. WTF!? Get it together. Employee parking is a joke. Patient parking sucks just as bad. We lose patients constantly due to them not being able to find parking. Patients are constantly late due to parking, some are turned away, others are seen but it puts everyone’s schedule behind. Use those brains that created the new “University of Utah Health” brand and logo, and fix the parking. All those brilliant minds have to have a solution somewhere.

3. "Quality Specialist"

Former Employee - Quality Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Quality Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at University of Utah Hospitals & Clinics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits with health insurance and 401 matching.

Cons

The security of your job depends on your manager. I had the best and the worst managers while working at the U for almost 11 years.

Advice to Management

New managers need to be the trained by a seasoned manager with good people skills.

4. "A great place to work"

I have been working at University of Utah Hospitals & Clinics full-time

Pros

Great pay, great benefits, decent hours

Cons

Conformity, upper management, work/life balance

5. "Resource HCA"

Current Employee - Resource HCA
    Current Employee - Resource HCA

I have been working at University of Utah Hospitals & Clinics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Get to see all the different units
    -great nurses and Aids
    -Free UTA pass
    - full-time receives 12 hr of PTO/month

Cons

-Have to pay for parking a block away or farther
    -Only 5 sick occurences allowed in a rolling year
    - Part-time (portion of FTE * 0.2) hours/month

Advice to Management

Stop building new buildings until you fix the parking situation please.

6. "Outpatient Service Specialist"

I have been working at University of Utah Hospitals & Clinics full-time

Pros

Awesome work environment and the benefits are great.

Cons

Not a lot of opportunity to move up.

7. "Nope"

I worked at University of Utah Hospitals & Clinics full-time

Pros

Great coworkers, friendly people and great work/life balance

Cons

Management is terrible. Had a friend who had been there for 3 years and they were paying her less than what they were paying me!

8. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Customer Advocate Specialist II in South Jordan, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Advocate Specialist II in South Jordan, UT

I worked at University of Utah Hospitals & Clinics part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I feel like they care about their employees and try to it so everyone can succeed.

Cons

Worked in a call center and they tracked everything.

Advice to Management

Try to make it so your employees are more fluid. Having to follow a formula for a call seems kinda of silly and can come off sounding very robotic to the patients.

"Great place to work, extremely limited career mobility"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at University of Utah Hospitals & Clinics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love the innovative nature of an academic medical institution. The executive leadership team is approachable and responsive. Excellent health and retirement benefits.

Cons

After working at UUHC for 5+ years, I have hit a ceiling in my upward mobility to management, even with Masters degrees in healthcare management. HR's requirements have become so impossibly rigid that young, talented leaders are taking their knowledge and skills to other organizations to get management experience and the much-needed pay bump to accommodate the student loans taken on to attain a Masters level education. This is a mistake I think the organization will realize when their pool for entry-level management positions consists only of staff with Bachelors degrees who have been there for 10+ years and have known no other way of daily operations; innovation will be squashed and home-grown talent will leave to other organizations.

Advice to Management

Look at candidates as a whole, and what they bring to the table aside from an arbitrary number for years of experience. I value promoting from within, but not when Masters level candidates are being beat out for entry-level managerial positions by Bachelors level candidates with no other experience except within UUHC. You are literally chasing away talent and thwarting the growth of the organization by promoting individuals who are unable to advance past entry-level management positions because they only have Bachelors degrees. As an academic medical institution, I have seen little value placed on education when it comes to career advancement.

"Great employer! Only left because of long commute."

Former Employee - Registered Nurse, BSN in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse, BSN in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at University of Utah Hospitals & Clinics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits and training. Felt supported by unit management and hospital administration. Focus on evidence-based practice and teaching. Would recommend to anyone.

Cons

The main hospital is not easily accessible for those who commute from anywhere other than downtown SLC. Free access to public transit was a provided benefit, but using this option doubled my commute time.