University of Utah Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 26, 2017

Full-time Part-time

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
University of Utah President David W. Pershing, Ph.D.
David W. Pershing, Ph.D.

Pros
Cons
  • Low pay and situations can change dramatically between departments (in 29 reviews)

• Limited room for advancement students are stuck in positions without any room to move forward (in 8 reviews)

1. "A good choice to graduate in Chemistry in the Department of Chemistry"

Current Employee - Graduate Student-Physical Chemistry in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Graduate Student-Physical Chemistry in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

It has a very good Graduate Program. It garantess you full financial support for 5 years. Usually enough to complete your PhD work. Salt Lake City itself is really cheap compared to other Cities with Top schools. The Department itself has an excellent recognition for being good. The best thing about the Program is that some groups are top nationwide, that the school can easily compete with top schools like Berkeley or Purdue and such! But the really cool thing about the program is the location: the best snow on earth during winter times and the best sceneries around summer time... more national parks than any other state in the US(except for Alaska).

Cons

Really, no big ones...which would not be found in every other Chemistry Department Nationwide. The organic devision is regrowing right now, with fresh faculties. However the average graduation time was above 5 years, which was a little bit disturbing. However, it seems like that the organic and the biological devision nationwide takes longer anyways. So i dont think it is specific for this school. I dont know if this is a downside or not but the requirements for a PhD are a Seminar talk, then a Preoral and then a Proposal prior to defending your PhD thesis. But it can be good and bad...bad because some fail to pass these exams and have to leave with a Masters

Advice to Management

none

"Incredible benefits, mediocre pay"

Current Employee - Field Services in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Field Services in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

The benefits. Free tuition. Easy access to trax and other forms of transportation. Incredible medical benefits. It's also very stable work. They don't fire people even when they are obvious dirt bags among the ranks. So if you're looking for a place to work where you aren't held to really high standards. I guess this would probably be in the downsides section

Cons

The pay is not as good when compared to others doing this same line of work in the private sector. Just like I was saying earlier. Some people look towards government jobs as a place to receive a decent paycheck for not doing very much work.

Advice to Management

They need to listen to our requests a little better.

3. "If I have to be a post-doc, this is a great place to be one."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Laid back atmosphere, lots of outdoor activities when not at work, great benefits for cheap

Cons

Not as many journal subscriptions as I would like

Advice to Management

Good leadership depends on your boss, mine is great!

"Good place to work"

Former Employee - Marriott Library Staff in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Marriott Library Staff in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

The University of Utah was a good place to work. I worked there for a few years while earning my degree. Co-workers were nice and friendly, pay was good for a student job. Management was reasonable and friendly. Job was rarely stressful. Benefits for full time positions are great. Despite the few cons and advice to management, this is my favorite job. I left to gain more experience and earn a higher salary, but the U, in particular the Marriott Library was a great place to work.

Cons

Quite a bit of bureaucracy and politics goes on. Some tenured employees are self-aggrandizing. Some staff take their sweet jobs for granted and are lazy.

Advice to Management

Put a little more emphasis on employee performance over standard policies. Try to keep employees engaged to prevent creativity and performance from stagnating.

6. "Great ! I love the learning experience."

Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

It's a great place for academia and research.
    The learning experience is great at the U.
    Salt Lake is a beautiful place.

Cons

Not very active industry wise though there is Twitter and Microsoft now :) So if competent enough, location should'nt be a problem.

Advice to Management

I am a grad student here. I am only too happy to be a teaching assistant for courses in Computer Science such as Computer Organization and Scientific Computing. I have no complaints.

7. "exellent"

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Excellent professors, great people, nice place to live, very beautiful

Cons

Food in Salt lake City is very expensive

8. "Students Given Great Employment Opportunities"

Current Employee - Tutor in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Tutor in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

The compensation is great, especially for students.
    Benefits offered.
    Compensation Process well developed, and not hidden from employees
    Communication with supervisors good

Cons

I felt like I could have received more training. I don't think I was fully competent until my second month of work, but there are always people willing to give you honest feedback.

Advice to Management

New Bennion Center employees could use a little more training and direction over the first few months. I enjoyed learning on the job, but I think a few more basics could have made a huge difference on my impact.

9. "The research opportunity was once in a lifetime."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

I was able to be actively involved and contribute to research that has helped countless peoples lives all over the globe.

Cons

The pay was not very good. I did not have my own personal working space. I was not taken seriously for graduate school.

Advice to Management

The management that I dealt with was very satisfactory. I loved everyone that I worked with and had an excellent time.

10. "Great for student positions with opportunities for future advancement."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

If you are a student here then it would be definitely beneficial to work at school in order to network with other students, professors, and faculty.

Cons

The wage is OK. You are expected to work over hours because positions can be competitive. Also depending on the position (if you are working as a teaching assistant, etc.), it could affect school schedule in a negative way.

11. "Very satisfied"

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Wonderful place, High end technologies

Cons

Compensation paid to the employees compared to the other top schools is less.