University of Washington Office Assistant Reviews | Glassdoor

Office Assistant

4.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ana Mari Cauce

Pros
  • The University of Washington has an excellent culture and work life balance (in 98 reviews)

• It was a great work environment, my supervisor was very nice so it was easy for me to ask for help if needed (in 104 reviews)

Cons
  • Depending on your department, work-life balance can be difficult to maintain (in 15 reviews)

• There seems to be an organizational lack of motivation towards high performance as compared to private sector organizations (in 26 reviews)

1. "A wealth of student staff jobs"

Former Employee - Office Assistant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Office Assistant in Seattle, WA

I worked at University of Washington part-time (More than a year)

Pros

flexible schedule, professional colleagues, may lead to other opportunities, great benefits for full time positions

Cons

there are many different departments but I never had any issues or encountered any cons, supervisors/directors are generally very easy to work with, especially with students

Advice to Management

keep up the good work! there are so many different departments to work for but most people I know have had great experiences as well

2. "Low stress college joh"

Former Employee - Student Office Assistant in Seattle, WA

I worked at University of Washington part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They were really great at working with your school schedule and meeting your needs as a student. Also you learned a lot of valuable skills.

Cons

Not much room to advance, low pay and not many hours. You also likely wouldn't be able to work during the summer.

Advice to Management

I would recommend you really organize the resources to employees better but overal I liked working there a lot. No regrets.

3. "awesome place to work"

Former Employee - Student Office Assistant in Seattle, WA

I worked at University of Washington part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

time flexible , relax environment, nice co-workers

Cons

routine work, less career development opportunity for future career.

Advice to Management

i work there as an office assistant at Registrar's office. It is part of the work study program.

It 's super relax working environment and supervisors are all nice to you.

The only bad thing is once you have done for school, you have to leave your job.

5. "Excellent academic and professional environment for students."

Current Employee - Office Assistant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Office Assistant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at University of Washington part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

High flexibility, many jobs catered to students to learn and prepare for the real-world.

Cons

Low wages for students and long hours.

6. "Demoralizing."

Current Employee - Student Office Assistant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Student Office Assistant in Seattle, WA

Pros

Flexible hours for school
    A decent amount of free catering food
    Nice facility
    Adequate air conditioning
    Clean carpet
    Good functioning microwave
    Free coffee and tea
    Easy, mindless work.

Cons

The program managers are unreasonable; have absolutely NO patience
    The company is highly inefficient in the way they spend tax payers' money; for instance, I prepare used printing papers to be recycled as scratch paper at 1 ream/hr when 6 reams of paper costs $12. I am being paid $13/hr. Totally inefficient and demeaning.
    Managers do not apologize for mistake after chewing you out.
    Have absolutely no management experience. FYI: I am a management major at a premiere institution.
    Manager is disrespectful, rude, and incompetent. I've had four other bosses in the past and they all love me (even this one) but I have never disliked someone as much as this one.
    Manager totally micromanages and uses time inefficiently by lecturing employees for lengthy amount of time over miniscule issues.
    Provides no training and refuses to explain task adequately. "How to book" is out of date and instructions are poorly written with overwhelming, unnecessary information.
    Does not provide positive feedback ever.
    Cramped cubicle (3 students in 1).
    Does not take feedback well will get defensive. Classic case of poor managerial skills.
    Lack technological skills and have me spending my time writing instructions for simple programs such as MS Word/Excel, Adobe Acrobat, etc. Will ask dumb questions such as "why do we have to do it that way?" Answer: I don't know maybe because this is not part of my job description?!

Advice to Management

Hire new program manager. Manager is unqualified to be managing people and is costing the company and the community time and money.

7. "Good - it provides more skill advancement than other colleges and universities."

Current Employee - Office Assistant
    Current Employee - Office Assistant

Pros

Teamwork, Advancing skills, Job opportunities all factor in the positives of working here. I like the energy here. It makes me want to work at the University of Washington.

Cons

The university culture at times feature immature people. Even though they maybe smart, they still haven't grown mentally or emotionally. They need to grow up in various ways. People can be very clique-ish - makes it harder to work.

Advice to Management

Sometimes people involve themselves in their projects they don't realize what happens around them. They need to be more aware of how employees treat the subordinates.