University of Washington Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

1,812 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Depending on your department, work-life balance can be difficult to maintain (in 17 reviews)

• nothing really, a pretty standart part time job (in 28 reviews)

1. "Good"

Former Employee - Groundskeeper in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Groundskeeper in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at University of Washington full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love working at the University of WASHINGTON , the people was very nice and a very nice place to work , the Job was demanding but was was very fair , love the people that I work with . we all work together when we had to but still work good when we had to work alone , students was very nice and polite .

Cons

Sorry , there wasn't no downside about working there

Advice to Management

One thing that I did receive from there was respect from my coworkers and my boss , because I worked in 3 different building in the time I was there and the reason why was when someone was short handed at a building ,my boss always sent me there ,

2. "Pleasant place to work"

Current Employee - Research Scientist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Research Scientist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at University of Washington full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Plenty of talented scientists around and overall a nice community to be in. Location and benefits are good.

Cons

Little room to advance and pay is below industry.

3. "Student Assistant"

Pros

No heavy work
    Can work Study

Cons

some weird people
    I don't recommend if people cannot manage their time

4. "Teaching Assitant"

I worked at University of Washington part-time

Pros

Warm and Welcoming environment

Cons

I really liked this place, so I don't have any cons

5. "Assistant Director, Advancement"

Pros

The resources of an amazing campus community; supportive, collegial peers very interested in supporting each other; steady professional development opportunities; mentorship-encouraging culture.

Cons

Significant and shifting objectives for a position that was new; changing focus of the position after hiring; multiple direct-reports with differing views of priorities; very little in terms of leadership and solid direction from direct-reports; primary supervisor had little to no fundraising background; lack of mission, vision, planning that should have been done well in advance of hiring.

Advice to Management

Although I feel I developed a firm understanding of how UW approaches advancement and was supported with the professional training and resources I needed. Sometimes the culture of the unit contrasts with that of advancement. While one is a model of best practices, some of the units in which advancement has a role are monuments to process. Maneuvering the two cultures is certainly doable and is almost a given, and was also not the real issue. However, my difficulty came in working for someone whose career up to that point had consisted of more traditional, bureaucratic campus roles who also had little to no background in fundraising/development. They did not provide the leadership, encouragement, support, or even the benefit of wisdom and experience employees often need to some degree from those above them in the field, because they had no perspective of that past experience to offer. While colleagues from other units shared their own experiences of gaining a firm footing in the university happening over a time of six to eight months, I was told that wasn't an option, and yet, while I was eager to launch into donor discovery, my supervisor would not allow it unless she attended, which impacted my ability to schedule unless she was able to also join,. Ideas, project work, etc. were routinely met with negativtiy. With little direction, I assembled materials and drew ideas from my own fundraising experience, which, again contrasted with my supervisor's limited understanding of the field. Weekly meetings were also routinely negative. While I offered suggestions for building out the program, being shut down with little more than personal opinion at every turn, coupled with how little my supervisor could offer professionally ultimately led to my leaving the position. I should note that I actually do not dislike this person. I had hoped to build a significant mentoring relationship and in the process share what I knew of fundraising. As a weekly focus of disdain, I was encouraged to resign. Upon leaving the university, I was given advice by a very senior person in the UW community - "Next time, make sure you look for and find the right boss."

6. "CSE TA"

I have been working at University of Washington part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very rewarding work
    Teaches strong interpersonal skills
    All the courses I have TAed have had great communities where the TAs all know each other very well

Cons

Balancing with classes can be really difficult
    Grading is long, and often tedious, it is the most frustrating part of the job, however it is also very important

Advice to Management

Keep up the sense of community. It helps the TAs feel more cohesive, as well as makes it easier for new members to ask for help when they need it.

7. "Technology Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at University of Washington full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great work-life balance and benefits

Cons

Slow to change and adopt newer technologies

8. "Regulatory Affairs"

I have been working at University of Washington full-time

Pros

-Great benefits
    -Motivated Staff
    -Strong research portfolio

Cons

-Difficult to break into unless you already have a connection
    -Not a lot of opportunity to advance

Advice to Management

More competitive salaries.

9. "Good, but variable."

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at University of Washington full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good work life balance. Good on campus amenities.

Cons

Bureaucracy can be intense and leadership clueless, but it's very dependent on your unit.

10. "Student Worker Records Services"

Current Employee - Student Worker in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Student Worker in Seattle, WA

I have been working at University of Washington (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, flexible work hours, good community

Cons

Gentrification in the area, traffic,

Showing 1,812 of 1,900 reviews