University of Waterloo Reviews | Glassdoor

University of Waterloo Reviews

Updated March 26, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • The pay for international graduate students (TA/RA's) in science programs is way below the living costs published by the university (in 10 reviews)

• Just the weather at Waterloo is too cold and huge winds blows at this small city (in 8 reviews)

1. "Ph.D candidate"

Pros

Quiet calm place to do research

Cons

a little of low salary

2. "Teaching assitant"

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I worked at University of Waterloo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Was good place to work.

Cons

not as such that i can think of. pretty much got what iwas looking for

3. "If you're a software developer, stay away from Enterprise Systems"

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer

I worked at University of Waterloo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

• Competitive mental/dental benefits and pay
    • Diversity of staff, faculty, and students, many different cultures and ideas
    • Best on-boarding experience I’ve ever had, the HR team does a tremendous job of getting new staff members familiar with all of the benefits of working at the University as well as getting staff aligned early with the University’s culture and values
    • University has a prestigious reputation which means they can draw industry leading professionals to speak at the various conferences and presentations that are hosted throughout the year…this is a benefit that is unique to the University.

Cons

Enterprise Systems leaders specifically the director and the development manager do not in any way follow the University’s values or culture. They exhibit bullying and vindictive behavior as soon as they feel their authority is questioned, which is anytime a new idea is brought forward. Unfortunately this has created an oppressive atmosphere in Enterprise Systems that promotes a heads down and do what you’re told and don’t rock the boat by speaking up mentality. These same leaders preach often about collaborative culture, with emphasis on not just what is accomplished but how, which is entirely reasonable, except they do not lead by example. I was hired based on specific past experiences and skills I had obtained throughout my career to come in and affect positive changes particularly around the team’s SDLC. And for the first 4-5 months I was doing that and the feedback was extremely positive. Our team was building momentum, our output was improving, our quality was improving, and our clients were never happier. Other teams on the same floor often commented about the “energy” that was always present around our work area. Then it happened. Our team was getting too “high feeling” and we were starting to become empowered. Then the leadership swooped in and re-aligned us. Meetings of “you do as direct by…” followed, and if we were not responding well to those (read compliance - which I wasn’t) then the disciplinary meetings followed where things like “someone overheard you say this in the lunch room last week”, or “someone mentioned you seemed anti-social in the elevator this morning”. Then things got quiet again, the energy was gone, everybody was doing what they were told. And I left.

5. "PhD"

Current Employee - PhD Student in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - PhD Student in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at University of Waterloo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very good place to live and work

Cons

Turns empty in the summer

6. "Graduate research assistant"

Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at University of Waterloo (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent research sources and opportunities, nice colleagues

Cons

lack of culture development

7. "University of Waterloo"

I have been working at University of Waterloo full-time

Pros

flexible and lots of innovation

Cons

limited resources and poor management

8. "Tutor Assistant"

Pros

High hourly rate, you also get to get closer to your professors, which is a good thing.

Cons

There was this imbalance of workload. At times i was working 30 hours a week and some other weeks I was working 5, which I understand is the nature of the job, but was hard to manage at times.

Advice to Management

The workload can be arbitrary according to the professors' preference. Two people working the same job, could be putting in totally different hours and still get paid the same

9. "Great Place for Coop"

I worked at University of Waterloo full-time

Pros

Lots of Development, High pay, everyone is super nice because I think people are happy to be there overall.

Cons

If you are not looking to work in the University or in education, it can be sometimes hard to get transferable skills.

10. "PhD Students"

Current Employee - PhD Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - PhD Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Pros

Diverse, intelligent, student body, an excellent environment in which to exchange and grow ideas, the rate of campus expansion is unfathomably fast (new construction, acquisition of old RIM buildings), but...

Cons

...not all supervisors are created equal (big surprise, I know), try to talk to members of any prospective research group and visit potential labs before you decide on where to apply.

11. "Grad school"

Pros

Interdisciplinary research and close relation with industry
    - a number of courses relevant to datascience disciplines offered by different department

Cons

Waterloo is not the funnest place to spend 4-5years for grad school