University of Winchester Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 6, 2017

4.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Joy Carter

1. "Catering for the 'fluid worker'"

Current Employee - NMH in Winchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - NMH in Winchester, England (UK)

Pros

Obliges, where possible to fit working hours around the Zero Hours employee's circumstances without detriment to the students.
    Very competent Payroll Section.
    I find information and any help I need nearly always available very quickly.

Cons

Not having any access to a secure area/ locker system where bags can be stored during the working period. Working irregular times and days each week does mean one is a bit a of a 'pack horse. Saying I only need a lap top to work does sound ideal but have somewhere to leave some stationery and some personal items would be helpful. Just a locker would work. I know students can hire them.

Advice to Management

Continue with the positive approach to including all staff in university news and events does promote a sense of ownership of the establishment even for contract staff.

2. "Student Ambassador"

Current Contractor - Student Ambassador in Winchester, England (UK)
    Current Contractor - Student Ambassador in Winchester, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Winchester as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Meeting new people all the time. Getting people informed on what they want to know. Sharing my own experiences with people.

Cons

Sometimes work and lectures are back to back with minimal breaks. Having to share the same space with other courses on the audition/interview days.

Advice to Management

I think that we could get more recognition as Student Ambassadors for example name tags, hoodies/tops maybe some benefits as well as university employees.

3. "Great University!"

Current Employee - Lecturer in Winchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Lecturer in Winchester, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Winchester full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Innovative - supportive - focussed and ethically aware of their and our environment. Small enough to allow good support for students and outcomes, big enough to make a difference. Great variety of taught subjects and faculties allows for a rich, academic environment which produces people who want to make an impact.

Cons

Walking up that hill to get to reception - a killer! Seriously, the same things that affect other organisations, some people with little or no vision and bureaucracy that can sometimes be mind-numbing. However, the former is in the minority and the latter is on the rune thanks to some great new software being introduced by the University.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to embrace change and protect your heritage. Both can be done together, but it takes determination and commitment to bring as many employees with you as yo can.

"A great place to work"

Current Employee - International Student Officer in Winchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - International Student Officer in Winchester, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Winchester full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Delightful location, a feeling that you are recognised, well supported and respected in your work, excellent considerations for personal life that make you feel you want to put something in. A good work-life balance with recognition of needs outside of work.

Cons

Probably the limited parking. While the University does its best to alleviate the problem, negotiating things like Park and Ride permits, they are often impractical where you have childcare provisions. That said, I have always managed to find a space somewhere.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to the people who do the work - they generally know what they need to do the job.

6. "Design Coordinator"

Former Employee - Design Coordinator in Winchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Design Coordinator in Winchester, England (UK)

I worked at University of Winchester part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lovely team spirit, great athmoshere: a fab place to work!

Cons

Only con I can mention would be parking...as a commuter depending on car for transportation, parking can be a bit of an issue.

Advice to Management

Thanks for a great time at the University, I will always remember having a lovely time at Winchester!