University of Wisconsin-Madison Reviews | Glassdoor

University of Wisconsin-Madison Chancellor Rebecca M. Blank
Rebecca M. Blank

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Dull students, lack of academic air"

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Madison, WI

I have been working at University of Wisconsin-Madison full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It has such nice libraries.

Cons

HUGE gap in academic level between undergraduate & graduate bodies.
    Very hard to find smart, intellectually challenging people (as the majorities are undergrad).
    The campus is the downtown of the city, it is pretty crowded, parking space is not assigned to even professors.
    TA workload is HUGE as compared to other research schools.
    Stipend significantly smaller as compared to other research schools.
    Inter-disciplinary research opportunity is rare.
    Majority of population seem to have had little exposure to non-white ethnic minorities.

Advice to Management

The school administrators seriously need to bring more academic, innovative atmosphere, removing party school culture.

2. "Academic Staff are not valued by this employer."

Current Employee - Senior Research Specialist in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Senior Research Specialist in Madison, WI

I have been working at University of Wisconsin-Madison full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Academic staff function in an intellectually stimulating workplace.

Cons

Academic Staff are treated poorly and have no recourse. The University negotiated in poor faith with unions and there has been systematic removal of compensation (benefits and salary). I have witnessed a consistent lack of enforcement of equal employment opportunity laws. Academic staff are pressured to work long hours and forgo leave benefits. I have experienced constant pressure against healthy work family balance.

Advice to Management

Train managers in EEO laws and regulations. Remove legislative whipping boy privileges. Pay Academic Staff based on similar market rates.

"Only professors have it good, lab managers and techs are invisible and second class citizens."

Current Employee - Research Specialist in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Research Specialist in Madison, WI

I have been working at University of Wisconsin-Madison full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great job if you don't want to do anything except support a professor and his/her students. Usually the lab positions are not terribly stressful. Okay training for other tech positions in other companies depending on the skillset you can learn. But, many companies don't want people whose experience comes from academia.

Cons

Low compensation. You will never get credit for any innovative ideas because the professor will take it or give it to his students. You are and always will be low person on the totem pole and made to feel that way. I've worked here many years and I know it is a mistake to continue, but my skillset is not terribly useful outside my current lab. Basically, I'm trapped in a dead end low wage job.

Advice to Management

Who is the management? The professors? They have skills in their fields, but no management skills. I would hardly call them "the management".

4. "UW-madison is good place and I can learn a lot of knowledge and make new friends. And I like Madison and it's a awesom."

Pros

Cons

Compensation is not high and relatively low. I frequently work on the weekend. That's kind of busy. I want to move to other company for my next step.

5. "UW-Madison"

Current Employee - Director of Graduate Student Services in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Director of Graduate Student Services in Madison, WI

I have been working at University of Wisconsin-Madison full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are willing to help with projects; just need to ask. Faculty are creative, hard-working, and invested in their students.

Cons

State of WI politics are not supportive of the University.

"Academic staff treated as 3rd class citizen by tenure track faculty and administration."

Current Employee - Faculty Associate in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Faculty Associate in Madison, WI

I have been working at University of Wisconsin-Madison (More than 5 years)

Pros

None, absolutely none at the university. Madison is a nice town to live in.

Cons

Hierarchy ruled by tenured faculty and overpaid administrators, low salary and very poor working conditions (lack of morale, constant budget cuts, outdated facilities)

Advice to Management

Academic staff with equivalent degrees experience as tenure line faculty should not be paid less and treated so poorly. Shameful!

"The politics is so vicious because the stakes are so small"

Former Employee - Director in Rochester, MI
    Former Employee - Director in Rochester, MI

I worked at University of Wisconsin-Madison full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Access to some of the best ice cream you have ever eaten. Also, some of the people who work there are very nice. But only some. And it's not always easy to tell.

Cons

Deeply political, back-biting and sniping staff. Depending on your department, you may find yourself trapped in a cubicle wishing death would soon arrive.

Advice to Management

Try to remember that "human resources," are actually people. Working for you almost sent me to the loony bin. Loyalty and honesty may be words worth looking up.

8. "The university should give its TAs better pay."

Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Madison, WI

Pros

No pros so far. TAing can be demanding if you're a first year.

Cons

Low pay, compared to other graduate schools.

9. "Epitaph for a once-great intitution"

I worked at University of Wisconsin-Madison full-time

Pros

Great reserachers, intellectually vibrant community, outstanding stuents.

Cons

Morale, governance, research, teaching, everything at the University is going downhill because of Governor Scott Walker.

Advice to Management

Good luck!

"Serious Diversity Issues"

I worked at University of Wisconsin-Madison full-time

Pros

Good benefits that are being eroded.

Cons

One caveat: Based on my experience. To attract and retain top talent there has to be concerted efforts to diversify not simply go through the motions. Incompetence requires a lack of integrity to create the illusion that work is being performed. All the resources managed by an incompetent person are automatically mismanaged.

Advice to Management

There is great potential if the administration really wants to change and have a more profound impact in the state of Wisconsin. There are serious diversity issues in the state of Wisconsin and it seems to be by the university.

Showing 986 of 1,020 reviews