University of Wisconsin-- River Falls Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Student Affairs"

I have been working at University of Wisconsin-- River Falls full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working within Student Affairs at UWRF is really quite pleasant. The other SA professionals are dedicated to developing programs and services that serve and support UWRF students to achieve their greatest potential.

Cons

Working within the state of Wisconsin university system is a challenge due to current state level leadership and funding related issues.

2. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at University of Wisconsin-- River Falls part-time

Pros

They really do have the best interest of their student employees in mind! Love working on campus as a student....Great people - Great job!

Cons

Many of the on campus jobs only work during the school year with no nights or weekends, which is great. However, if you are based on appointments that other students make, you basically get laid off earlier in the semester.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. You really do have good values and morals. Keep it up and you will continue to have great employees coming to work for you.

3. "Great people, mediocre salary"

Current Employee - Associate Lecturer
    Current Employee - Associate Lecturer

Pros

This place really cares about the students and the mission of the university. The faculty, staff, and even the upper administration all seem to have an "in it together" attitude. I don't see the stark hierarchy that I've seen at some other institutions.

Cons

Well, it's in Wisconsin, so the state keeps cutting the budget, which means people are under increased pressure to do more with less, and this can wear on even the best people.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Keep being an advocate for the students. Keep treating your faculty and staff (at all levels) with the respect that you do. Keep increasing your commitments to sustainability. Keep speaking up to Walker's assaults on public education. I don't envy you your job. Keep up the good work.

4. "UW-River Falls"

Pros

Good benefits, beautiful, friendly campus,

Cons

Administration out of touch with reality. Often decisions are based on knee-jerk reactions instead of long-term vision. Very siloed.

"Great students, great place to live, but being destroyed"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in River Falls, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in River Falls, WI

I have been working at University of Wisconsin-- River Falls full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My colleagues are some of the most supportive and dedicated people I have ever worked with and it genuinely feels like a family amongst the employees.

Cons

The UW System is being ripped about by the Governor and Legislature of Wisconsin.

Advice to Management

Need to make more informed decisions regarding how to handle severe budget cuts and think more strategically instead of in the short term.

"University Of Wisconsin River Falls Postal and Receiving Specialist"

I have been working at University of Wisconsin-- River Falls full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible with emergencies and time off
    Low stress
    Nice work atmosphere
    No overbearing managers
    Able to step outside
    State benefits

Cons

Limited room for pay increase
    No room for promotions

Advice to Management

Gain a better understanding of what your employees actually do and how their jobs work.

7. "A decent place for Students to Work"

I have been working at University of Wisconsin-- River Falls part-time

Pros

I love that working as a student assistant, I can do my homework while on the job.

Cons

You learn a lot of things about the University that makes you not want to be at that school anymore

"Office Associate"

Current Employee - University Office Associate in River Falls, WI
    Current Employee - University Office Associate in River Falls, WI

I have been working at University of Wisconsin-- River Falls full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people you work with. Working with and for students

Cons

Budget situation stress, no raises, benefits being decreased.

"Great management but, the pay is to low."

Current Employee - Facilities Management/Custodian in River Falls, WI
    Current Employee - Facilities Management/Custodian in River Falls, WI

Pros

Vacation, sick time and holiday pay as well as good benefits. The managers are really approachable and take an intrest in your opinions and ideas.

Cons

There are NO raises EVER. When there were it was 1% you have people who have started here 16+ years ago and now because of added insurance cost as well as cost of living make less than when they started. The majority of the staff is retiring and feel the new comers should get out while they can you make less money every year you work here.

Advice to Management

Regardless of budget cuts you need to pay your people what they are worth. If you can't you should make their money go further. Discounts on parking, food, uniforms games and concessions. Most don't make enough to attend school games and some students are being paid more then your full time hourly employees. Inexcusable.

10. "Good People"

Current Employee - Lab Technician in River Falls, WI
    Current Employee - Lab Technician in River Falls, WI

I have been working at University of Wisconsin-- River Falls part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people to work with.

Cons

Hard to get a raise year-to-year.