University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Schmeeckle Reserve is the best"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stevens Point, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stevens Point, WI

I worked at University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved everything about the job! The people, the organization, the job tasks, the beautiful reserve itself.. everything!

Cons

My only fault with my job at Schmeeckle is that it's only for students, so once I graduated school I could no longer be employed.

Advice to Management

Maybe better communication, since sometimes people weren't sure how to go about contacting to inform of a missed shift, which created problems.

2. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stevens Point, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stevens Point, WI

I have been working at University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people and lots of opportunities to learn as student employee. Given more responsibilities than most of universities give to similar positions.

Cons

Small university so you are not paid very much. It can be difficult to find a lot of other positions that are enjoyable and fulfilling on campus.

Advice to Management

Have more general respect for all student employees and their ideas. A student employee should not feel as if they are second class citizens to full time staff.

3. "Midwestern Heaven"

Current Employee - English As A Second Language Instructor in Stevens Point, WI
    Current Employee - English As A Second Language Instructor in Stevens Point, WI

I have been working at University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

UWSP is in a small town surrounded by nature. I teach international students, so I have a kind of access to the rest of the world that helps me feel like I am still part of that. This review focuses more on the surroundings and the university in general than on my job, which I will simply describe as "fine." The reason is that I am here for the town and people as much as for the job. The university is part of the U of Wisconsin system, and folks here in Stevens Point are among the friendliest I have encountered here or abroad. In a way we are out in "the sticks," but the university shapes the community and offers such majors as actuarial science and data analytics, It also has a long-running Suzuki center for music, which - if you can afford it - is a great program for kids. Stevens Point is home to Sentry Insurance, which is one of the bigger employers here. I feel like I am living and working in the best of situations for the most part.

Cons

I - and other instructors as far as I know - have received a grand total of a 1% raise in the past four years, but we have lost more than that in increases in contributions to health insurance and pension. No adjustment for inflation. Going backward in the money department, and not making it on my salary for my wife and child. Wife works to make up the difference. As long as that holds, we are happy.... Another con is that winter lasts a little long, but there is a focus on sports here, and more cold and snow just means more time for skating and skiing. Support for sports is big, and in 2015, UWSP took home the Dev. III men's national basketball championship, and in 2016, the men's national hockey championship. Also in 2016, the local high school was state champs in basketball. So, if you like to get outside in winter, it will be a plus as much as a con. Anyway, summer is heaven here.

5. "Civil Servant"

Former Employee - Postmaster in Rudolph, WI
    Former Employee - Postmaster in Rudolph, WI

I worked at University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Light on management; heavy on tech solutions. Positive changes always being made. Open door to CIO or higher up if needed.

Cons

As a state employee wages are subject to the whims of legislators. Raises are near non-existent and are less than cost of living adjustments when they are given.

Advice to Management

I need to put twenty words here to say that management has little control over salary but other than that things are very well run.

6. "Student Employee"

Former Employee - Student Worker in Stevens Point, WI
    Former Employee - Student Worker in Stevens Point, WI

Pros

Great for resume builder and the work time was flexible to what you wanted to work in athletics.

Cons

Could not get a salary increase because of the school system not allowing that.

7. "Professor"

Former Employee - Professor in Stevens Point, WI
    Former Employee - Professor in Stevens Point, WI

I worked at University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Encouragement for Professional Development
    Encouragement for Community Engagement
    Respect for Teaching
    Student/Faculty Relations not overly compartmentalized. Personal, respectful transactions in class, advising, co-curricular.

Cons

Compensation lags relative to many comparable universities in other States.
    Fragmented Curriculum. Limited cross disciplinary professional interaction. Less university and larger community integration than desirable.
    State government no longer respectful or supportive of education at any level including UW campuses/programs. Tragic anti-intellectual voice from many elected officials and those they appoint to critical positions. Creates a morale hit to faculty and larger reputational damage to what was once a highly regarded progressive state. Most importantly students are damaged by program damage due to budgetary butchery and policy absurdities from people who should know better but dance to the pipers of self interest and gain.

Advice to Management

Spend more attention to helping build faculty credibility on campus and to larger public. Most PR is generalized and campus generic. Much effort to hold administrative leadership up to the light which is not unwarranted but not matched with balanced faculty praise and encouragement. Limited on campus or other public acknowledgement and praise of many faculty activities and accomplishments. It is essentially left up to faculty to self promote which some do but often with discomfort at self "horn blowing" and occasional resentment from colleagues who don't self promote. Often faculty are more overtly valued by outside organizations they serve than locally. Students need to know what those who teach them offer outside of classroom. Students value "real world" experience but seldom know enough about applied experience of those who are "preparing" them for living in largest sense.

8. "Tutoring and Learning Center"

Current Employee - Supplemental Instructor in Waupaca, WI
    Current Employee - Supplemental Instructor in Waupaca, WI

I have been working at University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work!
    Many resources to help you help other students with their studies
    Great people to work for and with

Cons

Hard to help students who just want to appear as they care but don't actually care at all.

"Financial Aid Advisor"

Current Employee - Financial Aid Advisor in Stevens Point, WI
    Current Employee - Financial Aid Advisor in Stevens Point, WI

I have been working at University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Student Body, decent connections on campus, active office environment, focus on addressing student needs.

Cons

Poor Training Structure(too much cross training for new hires), obscure performance scales/goals, lack of automation for mundane busy work and lack of diversity.

Advice to Management

Develop formal training program and adopt mentor model for employees, cross train on a few tasks at a time to mastery. Subjective work should be handled by experienced advisors.

10. "Center Service Team Member"

Former Employee - Cst in Stevens Point, WI
    Former Employee - Cst in Stevens Point, WI

I worked at University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point (More than a year)

Pros

very flexible hours, they really work around your school schedule .they make sure school comes first and let you miss shifts if school work comes up.

Cons

boss sometimes took himself too seriously. Newer employees were pretty lame and almost needed constant supervision to get stuff done.

Advice to Management

Hire more guys that can do stuff quickly. A lot of the people that were hired were small chicks that could barely stack chairs.

11. "dining & summer conferences"

Current Employee - Student Worker in Stevens Point, WI
    Current Employee - Student Worker in Stevens Point, WI

Pros

flexible scheduling around class times
    work is not demanding
    plenty of student managers to help out
    easy to become a student manager
    good full time staff
    several locations, find the ones that you like the best

Cons

short shifts can be a hassle, i didn't mind as i could work in between class
    student coworkers can be brats
    upper debot