University of Wyoming Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
University of Wyoming President Richard C. McGinity
Richard C. McGinity

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work life balance and productivity is there (in 5 reviews)

• The University of Wyoming has great benefits, including an amazing winter break, and well funded retirement (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • The recent budget cuts have created a requirement for less benefits (in 10 reviews)

• Great choice if you love a small town (in 7 reviews)

1. "No respect for staff contributions"

I have been working at University of Wyoming full-time

Pros

I work in a great department. My boss is flexible and the people I work with are pleasant. They really care about their students and I think as a university goes -- the students get a really good education, especially for the price. Staff gets a 'free' week off between Christmas and New Years. It's a nice small town to live in with a family.

Cons

The university as a whole does NOT value staff contributions. The pay is far below equivalent positions at other comparable universities. I have worked here for five years -- in only one of those years has staff been given a raise -- and that raise was minimal. In real dollars, my income has gone down. My spouse has a job here in town which is what keeps us here.

Advice to Management

We've been asking you to pay staff more now for a while. We don't want 'tip of the cap' or thank you notes -- we want more pay. Your full-time working staff shouldn't be qualifying for food stamps. We told you all this when you were developing the strategic plan. Yet, there is little to nothing in the plan about staff. We feel like you don't listen at all, and that we are worthless members of a caste system. I'm tired of being a team player in a team that picked me last.

2. "Researcher"

Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Laramie, WY
    Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Laramie, WY

Pros

It as great campus with really nice people. Laramie is a really cool place too.

Cons

The budget cuts are killing the college. The need a better way of dealing with it then gutting the academics.

Advice to Management

Need to find a way to balance the budget without killing the school.

3. "Math Dept - No support, poorly organized, arrow pointing down"

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant
    Current Employee - Graduate Assistant

I have been working at University of Wyoming part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the faculty are excellent. There are some great lecturers. The area is beautiful if you enjoy the outdoors. The size of the Math department is perfect and people are accessible.

Depending on your assignment, the teaching itself can be great. Because the department lacks a consistent identity, you often find that getting paired with an effective and organized group can lead to a really good experience, while sometimes you may find yourself in the opposite situation.

Cons

They offer little or no support for their graduate students. As a graduate student here, you will be treated like cattle. On your first day, you will be given the key to your office, and that's it. There is no formal advising process. The graduate student handbook has been out of date for ages.

When it comes time for teaching assignments, you won't be involved in the selection process at all. There is no rhyme, reason, or explanation for decisions made. There is no formal review process to evaluate your performance.

In my time here, I've barely had any contact with members of the graduate committee and I've never had the sense that they really care that much about their graduate students.

This is especially disappointing because one of the main reasons for attending a smaller, out-of-the-way school like UWyo is the hope of having a more intimate connection with the faculty and other graduate students.

Aside from that, there seems to be a heavy bias in favor of students who attended UWyo for their undergraduate degrees. Since there is very little formal advising or knowable way to voice concerns or issues, those students with existing connections have a huge advantage. Those students also often receive compensation advantages in the form of bonuses and elevated pay rates.

I have reached out to my superiors about these issues and I have doubts that any serious changes will arrive soon. I'm considering transferring to another school.

Advice to Management

Organize. Provide effective and open points of contact to establish relationships with graduate assistants.

4. "uw"

Current Employee - Medical Receptionist in Casper, WY
    Current Employee - Medical Receptionist in Casper, WY

Pros

Good benefits with good retirement

Cons

High pressure poor working conditions

Advice to Management

Support your Frontline people better

5. "Academic Professional"

Former Employee - Academic Professional in Laramie, WY
    Former Employee - Academic Professional in Laramie, WY

I worked at University of Wyoming full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great location, lots of recreational activity availability.

Cons

Wages are stagnant or sinking. Lack of raises going on the 7th year, potential cuts to teaching staff are very worrisome.

"University of Wyoming Staff Review"

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Wyoming, MI
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Wyoming, MI

Pros

Great benefits—vacation, health insurance, employee tuition waiver, holidays, etc.!

Cons

Pay is TERRIBLE! It's not competitive with the rest of the nation, and right now, UW is in a financial crisis.

Advice to Management

Pay needs to be much more competitive in order to keep good staff, faculty, and students.

"University of Wyoming"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Laramie, WY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Laramie, WY

I have been working at University of Wyoming (More than a year)

Pros

The location isn't for everyone, but if small town life in a college town in this area of the country is where you want to be, then a job here provides good work/life balance.

Cons

The current climate of the state economy, and the lack of many opportunities for advancement, make for a very constrictive environment.

Advice to Management

The culture of limited communication and dependence on deference to hierarchical authority should be questioned. Look to a more inclusive structure and more transparent communication.

"Shuttle Bus Driver"

Pros

Tuition brakes and better than average bennifits

Cons

Bad management. Forced to drive equipment that would not pass inspection. Operations more important than safety. They need

Advice to Management

Safety should b first priority not the other way around

9. "Technician III"

Current Employee - Techniciann III in Laramie, WY
    Current Employee - Techniciann III in Laramie, WY

Pros

Salary and Benefits good for Wyoming

Cons

Administration is sociopathic and lazy

Advice to Management

Need to know all aspects of diagnostic work , get out of your office, come to work once in a while

10. "Chemistry Graduate Research Assistant"

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Laramie, WY
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Laramie, WY

Pros

Very accessible and approchable faculty.

Cons

Admisnistration and office staff not efficient.

Advice to Management

Communicate with the graduate student more about policy changes etc.