University of York Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Review"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at University of York as a contractor

Pros

Some excellent departments/research groups. They can operate as big fish in a small pond. Compared to US universities, UK universities lack a lot of the fringe benefits - athletic facilities, nice libraries, etc. York is an interesting medieval town but lacks any "college town" feel.

Cons

Overall, the university has a highly decentralized structure that means that it cannot capitalize on collaboration and university-wide initiatives either fall flat or do not exist.

2. "Summer Internship"

Pros

it was a good experiance gaining opportunioty

Cons

it was very boring and ltitle was done

3. "Teaching fellowship"

I have been working at University of York part-time

Pros

Flexible hours, good atmosphere, nice location

Cons

Low salary, few opportunities to progress within the university, lots of time lost in bureaucracy and paperwork

Advice to Management

More work flexibility

4. "Review from a research student (PhD) in science"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at University of York as an intern

Pros

The campus is a fairly pleasant environment to work in. The city of York itself is fantastic to live in and easily traversable by bike. For those in permanent employment I understand that the University (in line with other institutions) offers a benefits package (pension scheme etc) that is unrivalled in other sectors.

Cons

Bureaucracy is a problem in most Universities. It seems, anecdotally, that York is a little worse than others. Purchasing and administration is outdated and clumsy in many places, which impacts significantly on researchers' time and efforts.

Advice to Management

Purchasing and general administration needs to be made much less onerous. As a researcher I am not here to do support work. Without meaning to be disdainful, this is what support staff are supposed to be doing. However, especially within finance, the processes are often obstructive and inefficient. It doesn't seem like the process has been designed to aid research, rather to restrict it. I must point out that having witnessed the practice of some academics (again, especially with regard to finance) I can understand why this is the case! A common portal for everybody with easy to access information is essential in a 21st century institution. The access of risk assessments, TAP forms, purchasing tools, claim forms etc should be simple and clear. Accessing information from the website is difficult unless one knows the solution to the problem. Clean up the website.

5. "RA in Science"

Former Employee - Research Associate in York, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Research Associate in York, England (UK)

I worked at University of York full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The University of York is a leading university and there is outstanding research done within its wall. There is a lot of enthusiasm and opportunity to grow. It is situated in the very nice and scenic city of York that attracts many visitors.
    I enjoyed the work place and my colleagues but had to leave due to lack of funding

Cons

Regrettably a lot of the opportunities the university of york has to grow go underutilized.

6. "Great environment and city"

Current Employee - Biology Researcher in York, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Biology Researcher in York, England (UK)

I have been working at University of York full-time (More than a year)

Pros

University of York has very friendly people and the city is small but easy to get lost- very interesting.

Cons

Although there are several training courses for staff, the career is service is not that good!

Advice to Management

I think management school has to be improved

7. "Researcher at University of York - Computer Science"

Former Employee - Researcher in York, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Researcher in York, England (UK)

I worked at University of York full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Highly-ranked University, Excellent campus & facilities, beautiful city.

Cons

Not all academic staff up to high standards. Lack of funding and future career prospects. Continuous focus on writing-up as many as possible EU or EPSRC funding proposals without considering scientific quality.

Advice to Management

The review processes for academics and researchers are useless. People complete the every year, but no action is ever taken out of them. The management should make use of them to improve the quality of teaching and research.