University of the Pacific Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated 17 Oct 2019

3.5
University of the Pacific CEO Pamela A. Eibeck
Pamela A. Eibeck
Pros
  • "the beautiful campus and my coworkers and colleagues all over the campus(in 20 reviews)

• "Flexible hours, management is very considerate, reliable(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Very little value is placed on staff as is evident by low pay and high politics(in 5 reviews)

• "The human resources staff are not formally trained in HR and leadership(in 3 reviews)

1. "Great Place to Work as a Student"

Former Employee - Student Engagement Representative in Stockton, CA

I worked at University of the Pacific part-time for more than a year

Pros

The work-student-life balance is great and they'll really work with your schedule if you need to take more or fewer hours any given week. Fantastic support from the Alumni Relations office, shoutout to Amy, they really give you set you up to do as much work as you'd life. Up to 20 hours though.

Cons

Wasn't really too much to complain about, the monthly meetings could be kind of boring, but it helps prepare you for a corporate job where they're throwing boring meetings at you all the time.

Advice to Management

Not much to say other than decrease the price of tuition, lol

University of the Pacific2019-03-14
  2. "Good univeristy"

Current Employee - Coordinator

I have been working at University of the Pacific full-time

Pros

Great benefits, Good co workers

Cons

Limited room for growth outside of changing positions.

University of the Pacific2019-10-17
  3. "Assisting in upper division Mechanical Engineering courses"

Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Stockton, CA

I have been working at University of the Pacific full-time for less than a year

Pros

Scholarship, advanced facilities, and Independent studies.

Cons

living in the city of Stockton

University of the Pacific2019-10-08
  4. "Reap the Rewards of your Efforts; Face University Bureaucracy"

Former Employee - Student Senator in Stockton, CA

I worked at University of the Pacific part-time for less than a year

Pros

Entire experience can be very rewarding and insightful if you put the time and energy into your office's and Senate-wide initiatives. Lots of change expected to come in the coming year, meaning lots of opportunities to help enhance various aspects of the University.

Cons

Doesn't have as much power as University leadership lets on. Due to distrust and apathy in University leadership/administration activities, makes job to engage other students that much harder.

University of the Pacific2019-08-22
  5. "Tough times for private schools and universities"

Former Employee - Staff

I worked at University of the Pacific full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The faculty and staff are focused on student learning The campus environment is beautiful

Cons

Many private institutions are not preparing for changing learning styles Hard to tell which direction is correct under constant change Trends toward declining enrollments are challenge

Advice to Management

Get leaders who care and can understand they are not running large research institutions.

University of the Pacific2019-08-18

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Librarian in Stockton, CA

I have been working at University of the Pacific full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A collegial environment, faculty and support work well together in general. Benefits are above average.

Cons

President and Provost are ineffective. Athletic school lawsuits cause the rest of the University to suffer through paycuts.

University of the Pacific2019-07-06
  7. "Bring back Humanism."

Current Employee - Development Officer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at University of the Pacific full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good retirement benefits and vacation allowance.

Cons

If you are not a dentist, you are second class.

Advice to Management

Treat staff with the professional respect they deserve.

University of the Pacific2019-06-24
  8. "Sad place to work for faculty (both permanent and temporary)"

Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty Member in Stockton, CA

I worked at University of the Pacific full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Beautiful campus Wonderful students who are eager to learn Decent food

Cons

Faculty is payed very poorly. Administration does not respect faculty. Every time a full-time professor retires his/her position is eliminated and couple adjuncts are hired to replace him/her. Faculty wrote a letter of disapproval to regents and many UOP students went on strike last year. Regents had no choice but remove the president Pamela Eibeck.. Her last day was June 30th. The recent development is to... put 40-50 students in each class when the university traditionally advertised small classes. Many classrooms only have capacity for 25 students, which means students have to sit on floor while they are paying $45000 per year in tuition.

Advice to Management

The university is motivated by greed. I don't think it has much future.

University of the Pacific2019-07-05
  9. "The most sexist place I've ever worked. (Spanos Center; Athletics Dept.)"

I worked at University of the Pacific

Pros

Occasionally fun; Free entertainment; Beautiful campus; Occasionally free food; learned some staging & lighting; worked with many young people;

Cons

The crew tht runs the Spanos Center are thee. only. group of workers on the campus not unionized. My boyfriend & I worked there for 5 YEARS as "Temporary/Casual" workers. Half a decade....REAL temporary, guys! According to them, we were not actually employees, & therefore had zero rights, which is why I never reported the sexual harassment by my supervisor tht I endured the entire time. We were disposable to them... despite literally keeping tht place running. I also endured ridiculous, totally sexist double standards in treatment as compared to my male co-workers, whom lwere allowed to behave like imbeciles & toddlers: LITERALLY directly physically endangering others; stealing; costing the University thousands of dollars in broken equipment after the regular hissyfits thrown; drinking on the job with underage students in their locked office; placing the University at risk for lawsuits & legal action; having their mistresses come "hang out" with them at work; one male coworker on TWO DIFFERENT OCCASIONS screamed every obscenity in the book at literally the top of his lungs at me & at another female worker, in the presence of the public, & potential vendors & clients the University was trying to secure, yet received no punishment whatsoever. The final straw was when my boyfriend & I did EXACTLY THE SAME THING AT EXACTLY THE SAME TIME, like TOGETHER- I got fired, & not a week later he got a raise. I could go on & on. But I think you get the idea. If you don't, HEY! YOU'D PROBABLY BE A GREAT MATCH FOR UOP! Trust me when I say tht unless you're a (white) male, you're going nowhere here. It doesn't matter howhow hard you work; how dedicated, loyal, or on-call you are.

Advice to Management

Hire more wome into higher up positions

University of the Pacific2019-06-03
  10. "IT Senior Program Manager"

Current Employee - IT Senior Program Manager in Stockton, CA

I have been working at University of the Pacific full-time for more than a year

Pros

Peers and business departments customers are really nice

Cons

IT Department management could be better

Advice to Management

Embrace diversity and inclusion and other dynamics

University of the Pacific2019-04-10