Univision Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Univision President & CEO Randy Falco
Randy Falco

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great people and family environment (in 30 reviews)

• Learn a lot about Hispanic culture (in 13 reviews)

Cons

"Going downhill fast + Lack of leadership = mass exodus of employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Univision full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the people in my department are nice and friendly. That is the only redeeming quality about working at Univision.

Cons

Literally everyone is trying to get out (and they are very vocal about that). The mood is depressing. Morale is very low. Ratings and sales have dropped tremendously.

No bonuses. No raises. No internal promotions. Even when sales numbers are met.

Wouldn't be surprised if Univision turns belly-up within the next 10 years.

Advice to Management

Please hire people who are fit to lead. Current manager is doing a very poor job of communicating, understanding, and assisting with team needs. Not a single person is happy with his/her performance, and it is a driving factor in the mass exodus from the department and company.

2. "Used to be a great place to work and to grow professionally"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I worked at Univision full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Learning allocation available, there are still some good people left previous to Randy Falco's Master Plan

Cons

Toxic work ethics, micro management

"Finance"

Former Employee - Finance in Teaneck, NJ
    Former Employee - Finance in Teaneck, NJ

I worked at Univision full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None-Trust me! It has been a tough journey at this Company. I am a hard worker and this place is nothing but a huge disappointment.

Cons

1. This company underpays at all levels below VP.
    2. Management is not flexible with work schedule. Working hours 9-6pm plus even more, no exceptions. No summer perks.
    3. There are two people who dominate the floor in NJ office and they need no introduction. They make you feel that they are the only one that work hard.
    4. Socialization among peers is frowned upon but this rule does not apply to the two people I mentioned above who are constantly behind closed door gossiping.
    5. Constant restructuring - this is where most dollars are spent. Do not get any ideas here, only management get good deals.
    6. In the name of restructuring, they let go of employees just because they cant work with them or dislike.
    7. Employees are not fed appropriately during busy periods if they happen to work late-night (i.e 10-11pm). If they do happen to feed you - they can only afford Chinese or pizza.
    8. Most VPs and Directors at top level get away with doing minimum work. Often they do not even understand the business.
    9. The Company is unethical in certain practices.
    10. Expect no raises or bonus but expect additional work due to layoffs.
    11. The Company has unprofessional people who love to yell (via phone, e-mail, meetings) at you as a result employee morale is not that great.
    12. No holiday perks or should I say lack of holiday spirit - meaning no cash, no gifts, no party. They basically cater some appetizer and drop it at each floor.
    13. Growth equates to more work and responsibilities and not raise in pay.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees and treat them as Humans, it will only add to growth of the company.

"Need for a change"

I have been working at Univision full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Learn a lot
    - Investing in digital

Cons

- Poor sync between senior execs

"High stress/ low paying"

Former Employee - Network Traffic in Newfield, NJ
    Former Employee - Network Traffic in Newfield, NJ

I worked at Univision full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent place to start a career in broadcast/ television

Cons

Poor management, poor office environment/ atmosphere, hostile and combative interactions with management from day 1, length of bathroom breaks called into question multiple times, suggestions on workflow efficiency ignored, childish behavior from superiors when two week notice handed in, zero opportunity for vertical movement, pay raises promised but never delivered

Advice to Management

Grow up, stop being petty, start listening to your employees, support your team rather than throwing your employees under the bus when you make an error, sit down with your team and work through problems rather than skulking around looming over workers, and quit micromanaging

"Tension"

Pros

Great people in some areas untouched by FOIL and the cronyism. Good luck to everyone else in the digital division.

Cons

Current administration has only added more problems to already overworked and understaffed teams. Constant outsourcing and downsizing. Threats of political retaliation and cronyism are well known throughout org.

Advice to Management

IPO or don't, but quit dragging it out and dragging others through the mud.

"Toxic & Will Literally Make You Dumber"

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at Univision full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-May meet a smart person here or there, but not enough to make the experience worthwhile

-It's the only place on Earth where you can work your way from recent-college-grad to VP in less than 10 years with no experience outside of whatever you've been doing for a decade at Univision. Literally, the only place where someone this junior/unexposed can have this title.

-Bagels or Pizza on Fridays (insert sarcasm here)

Cons

Hm... Where to start...

-Everyone who is an SVP is becoming a "Chief" of something or other. How many "chiefs" can an organization possibly have before the entire title inflation thing becomes 1) obvious and 2) a complete joke?

-Senior management (all the new "chiefs" and the SVPs) are typically lifers who have no experience outside of Univision and have no idea how the rest of the business world works. And it shows by what they call "strategies" and "big ideas" - pure comedy.

-Constant layoffs and the veiled threat of the never-happening IPO sets you up to feel like you're lucky you have a job... except you're not lucky at all.

-Abusive and toxic senior leaders create toxic teams. Work/life balance? What is that? You're expected to work 9-10 hour days and be on-call 24/7, including weekends and while on vacation. Oh, and there is a neurotic level of attention paid to when you come in the office, when you took a day off, when you went home, etc. The focus is on the hours you clocked rather than the work you produce, kind of like a sweatshop, except in an office setting.

-Unprofessional and poorly trained leadership with little to no experience outside of Univision = major power struggles and insecurity around new employees who threaten their roles.

-Nepotism. Everywhere. All the time.

-Have I mentioned the most unprofessional and untrained and inexperienced senior leadership in the history of corporations in America? Oh, I did? Sorry. Well, I mentioned it again. Take note.

Advice to Management

-Stop hawking this business of Spanish-language content. Really. Nobody under the age of 40 is watching anything in Spanish. I mean, my grandmother barely watches Univision anymore and I couldn't tell you what channel it is on my cable box because I've never turned it on. Why? Because I don't care. And neither does any other Latino I know....

-Stop promoting imbeciles to VP and SVP titles that they absolutely would never have in any other company. Ever. Your org chart is starting to look like an SNL skit.

-News flash! This isn't a sweatshop. Stop treating employees like they're lucky to have Univision on their paystub. They aren't. Nobody thinks so except the folks who work at Univision. Duh.

-Nice office space. You get points for that. Ok, you get ONE point. Just one.

"Wouldn't recommend"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Univision full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Big media company, lots to learn, lots of insights into the market, some very friendly people

Cons

No interdepartmental cooperation, cliques, lots of tension and egos, underpaid underlings, super corporate, most don't understand the product or the consumer, at the very least insensitive to Hispanics, absolutely no opportunity for growth

Advice to Management

Stop focusing so much on mid to upper level employees. You're hemorrhaging lower rung because they feel under appreciated, are under paid, and their talents are unrecognized and not utilized

"Accountant"

I worked at Univision full-time

Pros

Good co-workers, good team except for manager

Cons

Bad management. Like a bunch of 12 year old girls at a High School.

"No one cares about you"

I worked at Univision full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I thought vacation time was fair. Since no one cared about me, I could come and go as I pleased.

Cons

No one cares about you as a person. HR continuously ignored me when I reached out to them. Lots of finger pointing instead of resolving issues. A divide between teams when working together would make everyone's life a lot easier. Too many last minute requests because management can't manage their own workload properly. Hardly a blink of an eye at the mention of working late several days in a row. 401k match was poor. Corporate facility itself is horrible- dirty since they don't clean properly and climate control is a nightmare. Extreme cost cutting with no real plan of who is going to do the work for those let go. Yet tons of money spent on GM meetings requiring travel and lodging.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your employees and care about them as people- it will go a long way. Say hello in the hallway. Check in every so often. How about using the same coffee machine as everyone else so you're forced to interact on a human level?