Uniworld River Cruises Reviews

Updated Jun 23, 2019

3.7
Uniworld River Cruises CEO Ellen Bettridge (no image)
Ellen Bettridge
  1. "If you love travel, you'll love working here."

I have been working at Uniworld River Cruises full-time

Pros

I love coming to work each day. The people are great - fun, bright, energetic and motivated. We are always busy, but in a good way. The company is constantly introducing new products and programs, which means we are never bored and are always learning new things. While we work really hard, the leadership team has made a greater effort recently to balance that with lots of fun team-building activities like food trucks, ice cream socials, hosting summer and holiday parties, etc... Also, being part of a larger travel group - TTC, there are many opportunities to travel to different parts of the world and grow within the organization.

Cons

We are always busy. You have to be able to juggle a lot at one time. But if you like that sort of thing, then you'll be fine. If not, then might be overwhelming.

2. "Great company"

4.0

I have been working at Uniworld River Cruises full-time for more than a year

Pros

Celebrates successes and recognizes contributions widely, open to ideas from everyone, genuine desire to make it a great place to work. Green and socially responsible company.

Cons

Periodic rotation on weekend for certain positions.

3. "High employee turnover rate and low morale."

I worked at Uniworld River Cruises

Pros

Eligible for cruise benefit after one year.

Cons

Poor management and questionable business strategy, family business.

4. "The most UNPROFESSIONAL Human Resources EVER!!!"

I worked at Uniworld River Cruises full-time

Pros

Nothing good to say, sadly.

Cons

The most uncaring management, always looking out for themselves, never about their people.

"Demeaning atmosphere"

Former Employee - Sales Staff in Encino, CA

I worked at Uniworld River Cruises full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The free cruise benefit. Nothing else as a pro here. No moral building, employees all afraid they will be next to be laid off or fired.

Cons

No one gets raises, unless they have gotten rid of your department & they want to appease you. You are only told when you are doing something wrong, never commentated when you've done a good job. No moral building at all. Since February 2016, they have been laying off and/or firing or demoting long time staff (ex-CEO Demoted). Company meeting in June, owner berated entire staff (see other review about too much laughter at work being a bad thing). Just got rid of the print department after sales had increased due to their efforts.

"Good company"

4.0
    Hospitality Assistant in Washington, DC

I worked at Uniworld River Cruises for less than a year

Pros

Working hours, salary and travel

Cons

Stressful sometimes, seasonal work with long winter break

"Used to be a good place, not so much now...."

in Encino, CA

I have been working at Uniworld River Cruises for more than 5 years

Pros

The company offers employees one free cruise each year to experience the product, but it doesn't include air so it can be difficult sometimes for people to take advantage. Most co-workers are nice and very dedicated to their jobs, much more dedicated than the owners are to the employees.

Cons

The company used to be a good place to work, but seems to be in a serious downward spiral. The owner makes irrational decisions with little thought to how they will effect the business or employees, then gets upset and screams at people when the decisions he made don't work. It's really effected moral, employees were screamed at in a company meeting that we need to be more positive, then were told we are laughing too much and shouldn't be happy and laughing at work. Since the beginning of the year the company has also been losing good people on a regular basis, some leaving on their own and others because the company has been cutting positions, including good executives and long term employees. The people they are replacing them with (if they are replaced, most of the time they aren't so someone else just picks up more work) don't have any relative background in the jobs they are being hired for, so now we have departments being run by people who don't know or understand the jobs of the people they are supervising.

Continue reading

"Great Environment and Benefits"

I have been working at Uniworld River Cruises full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Uniworld is my second home, the environment is safe , friendly and happy . Most of the employees have worked at Uniworld for 10 plus years because of the people that work for this company . I love the family atmosphere and the encouragement I get for growth. I have been to many extraordinary places and done some amazing things because of the great benefits that are offered , I feel pretty lucky to be doing what I like and getting paid for it .

Cons

I am not sure if this is a con, people don’t leave the company so it might be awhile before I can move up!

Continue reading
  9. "Nice company to work for"

in Encino, CA

I have been working at Uniworld River Cruises

Pros

In an industry that is so dynamic and often chaotic, it is refreshing to work for a stable company where you are treated fairly as an individual and not considered a number. This is a relatively small company, and working here, I feel like a member of a family. The management team is very approachable here, there is ample room for career progression, and the work schedule is very good for this industry. I take incoming calls in their call center, but it feels nothing like a true "call center." It is more of a typical office like any other. That said, it's definitely a pleasant office with lots going on both work-related and non. I cannot speak for other departments, but we are definitely adequately-staffed on the floor. I've worked for and have dealt with other travel companies where the hold time is significant to get through to an agent. Here, not so. It's rare we have an actual wait time. Consequently, the callers are much happier. This in turn makes my job easier and more pleasant. Compensation and time-off policies are very fair. Workload is not overwhelming like it is at other companies - if you need help, just ask. The travel benefits are amazing. If you're a good, honest employee with a solid work ethic, you'll do great and the company will treat you very well. They don't tolerate slackers, though, thank goodness. So if you don't want to do your job, don't apply here.

Cons

This isn't really a con, but more of a wish that may be a little far-fetched. It'd be nice if they could offer the option of a four-day work week instead of five. And it'd be nice if employees who don't take their health insurance could get a portion paid back somehow a little bit. This was the case with some of my former employers.

"Great Atmosphere!!"

I have been working at Uniworld River Cruises

Pros

I have been with Uniworld for over 10 years and have been in the travel industry for 25+ years. Uniworld is wonderful place to work. The atmosphere here is congenial and easy going. The president, Guy Young, walks around the office and talks to ALL of the employees almost every day and he always has a smile on his face. It starts from the top; you can feel the positive vibe throughout the company, not just in the Encino office but all the way to the ships. If I didn’t have faith in the company, its vision and for our product, then I would not be here.

Cons

It’s not so much a Con; this is more of a reality check. The competition in the River Cruise sector has increased in the past few years. It used to be easy to be on top in this industry, but now we have to band together as a team and focus on finding the right customer for our luxury product.

Found 18 reviews