Uniworld River Cruises Reviews | Glassdoor

Guy Young

"Good company"

Former Employee - Hospitality Assistant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Hospitality Assistant in Washington, DC

I worked at Uniworld River Cruises (Less than a year)

Pros

Working hours, salary and travel

Cons

Stressful sometimes, seasonal work with long winter break

"Demeaning atmosphere"

Former Employee - Sales Staff in Encino, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Staff in Encino, CA

I worked at Uniworld River Cruises full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The free cruise benefit. Nothing else as a pro here. No moral building, employees all afraid they will be next to be laid off or fired.

Cons

No one gets raises, unless they have gotten rid of your department & they want to appease you. You are only told when you are doing something wrong, never commentated when you've done a good job. No moral building at all. Since February 2016, they have been laying off and/or firing or demoting long time staff (ex-CEO Demoted). Company meeting in June, owner berated entire staff (see other review about too much laughter at work being a bad thing). Just got rid of the print department after sales had increased due to their efforts.

"Used to be a good place, not so much now...."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Encino, CA

I have been working at Uniworld River Cruises (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company offers employees one free cruise each year to experience the product, but it doesn't include air so it can be difficult sometimes for people to take advantage. Most co-workers are nice and very dedicated to their jobs, much more dedicated than the owners are to the employees.

Cons

The company used to be a good place to work, but seems to be in a serious downward spiral. The owner makes irrational decisions with little thought to how they will effect the business or employees, then gets upset and screams at people when the decisions he made don't work. It's really effected moral, employees were screamed at in a company meeting that we need to be more positive, then were told we are laughing too much and shouldn't be happy and laughing at work.

Since the beginning of the year the company has also been losing good people on a regular basis, some leaving on their own and others because the company has been cutting positions, including good executives and long term employees. The people they are replacing them with (if they are replaced, most of the time they aren't so someone else just picks up more work) don't have any relative background in the jobs they are being hired for, so now we have departments being run by people who don't know or understand the jobs of the people they are supervising.

Advice to Management

It's disappointing to see the direction the company is going, we still have a great product but the company is no longer a good place to work. If you want things to improve you need to listen to some of the suggestions the employees have been making, and treat people with respect.

"Great Environment and Benefits"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Encino, CA

I have been working at Uniworld River Cruises full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Uniworld is my second home, the environment is safe , friendly and happy . Most of the employees have worked at Uniworld for 10 plus years because of the people that work for this company . I love the family atmosphere and the encouragement I get for growth. I have been to many extraordinary places and done some amazing things because of the great benefits that are offered , I feel pretty lucky to be doing what I like and getting paid for it .

Cons

I am not sure if this is a con, people don’t leave the company so it might be awhile before I can move up!

Advice to Management

I think management needs to do a better job spreading the word about our product, it really is exclusive and perhaps they want it to remain exclusive.

5. "Nice company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Encino, CA

Pros

In an industry that is so dynamic and often chaotic, it is refreshing to work for a stable company where you are treated fairly as an individual and not considered a number. This is a relatively small company, and working here, I feel like a member of a family. The management team is very approachable here, there is ample room for career progression, and the work schedule is very good for this industry. I take incoming calls in their call center, but it feels nothing like a true "call center." It is more of a typical office like any other. That said, it's definitely a pleasant office with lots going on both work-related and non. I cannot speak for other departments, but we are definitely adequately-staffed on the floor. I've worked for and have dealt with other travel companies where the hold time is significant to get through to an agent. Here, not so. It's rare we have an actual wait time. Consequently, the callers are much happier. This in turn makes my job easier and more pleasant. Compensation and time-off policies are very fair. Workload is not overwhelming like it is at other companies - if you need help, just ask. The travel benefits are amazing. If you're a good, honest employee with a solid work ethic, you'll do great and the company will treat you very well. They don't tolerate slackers, though, thank goodness. So if you don't want to do your job, don't apply here.

Cons

This isn't really a con, but more of a wish that may be a little far-fetched. It'd be nice if they could offer the option of a four-day work week instead of five. And it'd be nice if employees who don't take their health insurance could get a portion paid back somehow a little bit. This was the case with some of my former employers.

"Good Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Encino, CA

I have been working at Uniworld River Cruises full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great travel benefits!
    Love the office environment and people who work there.
    Good with being flexible for personal commitments, etc.

Cons

Need to improve salaries/wages for employees.
    Need management to be open to new ways of doing things to make work processes easier and more efficient.

Advice to Management

Management is pretty old-school and can sometimes act like an elite club - listen to your employees more. Consider that change isn't always a bad thing - it can really help and you need to be open to new ideas, new ways of doing things.
    Make pay more competitive for your employees - a lot of people stay around because its a great company to work for, but there are lots of jobs out there paying a lot more than what is given at Uniworld, and employees will start leaving over that fact alone.

"Overall a torturous 5 years"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Encino, CA

I have been working at Uniworld River Cruises full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Travel benefit was decent but not too stellar

Cons

Upper management not qualified to run the company. A co-ordinator was promoted to VP, leading to a department with a revolving door. Extreme amount of gossiping and back stabbing.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your staff and the morale of the whole company. Encourage your empolyees rather than use scare tactics.

"Great Atmosphere!!"

Pros

I have been with Uniworld for over 10 years and have been in the travel industry for 25+ years. Uniworld is wonderful place to work. The atmosphere here is congenial and easy going. The president, Guy Young, walks around the office and talks to ALL of the employees almost every day and he always has a smile on his face. It starts from the top; you can feel the positive vibe throughout the company, not just in the Encino office but all the way to the ships. If I didn’t have faith in the company, its vision and for our product, then I would not be here.

Cons

It’s not so much a Con; this is more of a reality check. The competition in the River Cruise sector has increased in the past few years. It used to be easy to be on top in this industry, but now we have to band together as a team and focus on finding the right customer for our luxury product.

9. "High employee turnover rate and low morale."

Pros

Eligible for cruise benefit after one year.

Cons

Poor management and questionable business strategy, family business.

10. "The most UNPROFESSIONAL Human Resources EVER!!!"

I worked at Uniworld River Cruises full-time

Pros

Nothing good to say, sadly.

Cons

The most uncaring management, always looking out for themselves, never about their people.

Advice to Management

Wake up and smell the coffee!!!