Unlimited Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Unlimited Systems Reviews

2.5
Brian Gockerman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Best Product Development Team in Cincinnati"

I have been working at Unlimited Systems full-time

Pros

Unlimited has the most talented mix of software engineers, quality analysts, designers, and product managers that I have ever encountered. In addition, there is a level of positive energy and encouragement within the organization that makes it fun to come to work each day. It is great to feel like you are making a difference for Oncology patients and doing cutting edge software development at the same time.

Cons

The expectations are high for individuals to contribute quality output and stay current with the latest technology. If you are passionate about what you do it is a great place to be --- if you are not looking to push yourself then it is probably not a good fit for you.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in top talent and do more to build awareness of the work we are doing in the local developer community.

Unlimited Systems Response

Jan 19, 2017 – Leadership Team

Thank you for your review. Your positive feedback is appreciated. We are presently hiring highly motivated and passionate team players seeking a rewarding career.

"Not a good environment"

I worked at Unlimited Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company offers benefits that most don’t. 100% paid healthcare, eye, and dental insurance for starters (and they are GOOD plans). They have standing desk which is really nice. They also have free coffee, soft drinks, juice, and water. They’re not afraid to spend money, so expect an open bar with good food at every corporate update as well as the Christmas party.

The friends I made here are some of my favorite people. They are always willing to help you and their friendship is what makes coming to work enjoyable.

I also loved the clients and really enjoyed working with them on a day to day basis. Knowing that you’re helping them have an easier day ALMOST makes the job worth it.

Cons

The cons really are around the Management and how they handle things.

The first issue is that the company is owned by 4 brothers and they don’t want to relinquish any control (for example, let managers below them do their job). I can’t really speak for all 4 brothers, but just know that there are many situations where a decision is made by a brother who doesn’t understand the situation (because how can you when you’re so far removed from what’s actually going on) and that decision has horrible consequences.

The second issue is about who they choose as managers. Again, I can’t speak for all managers, as I’m sure some of them do their best to back up their employees. However, if you look at the departments of high turn over, they typically come from one department under one specific manager. I did not personally experience the level of mistreatment that others did, but I can verify that it happened to multiple people. To know that management will throw you under the bus to make themselves look better is not a great feeling.

The lack of communication here leads to panic, worry, and gossip. It’s not uncommon to come into work each morning wondering if today’s the day you’re getting fired. Even those who are the BEST at their jobs feel insecure and worried. This is not an environment I would wish on anyone.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging. Don’t assume your employees are slacking off unless you have reason to believe so. Trust them. They’re smart, capable, and need to know that they’re appreciated.

Choose the RIGHT managers and let them work with the employees to make the appropriate decisions and of course, back up their employees at the same time.

You’re on the cusp of great potential, don’t go backwards.

"You probably don't want to work here."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Unlimited Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1) Very collaborative environment. You will get the chance to work with members of a lot of other teams, which can help you tremendously in your day to day work.

2) There were very few people that I did not enjoy working with. My coworkers were the main reason that I liked my job.

3) Great compensation and benefits! I am convinced this is why people stick around as long as they do.

3) Very nice, new office with with a fridge fully stocked with water and just about every soft drink you can imagine. This may sound silly to include in a review, but since moving to a new employer, I realized that this is not the norm in every workplace.

Cons

I could say a lot of bad things about Unlimited, because TRUST ME this place has problems. But the purpose of my review is to warn people about the person that I worked under for the last two years of my employment. She is manipulative, conniving, and will throw any of her employees under the bus to make sure her reputation stays clean.

She will never confront you face to face, you will get an email or instant message either giving you orders, or asking you to explain yourself. She will cut you off in the middle of a phone call with a client to explain why her answer is more correct than yours was just to make sure she is the hero. She will make promises to a client and then throw that responsibility at you so that the pressure is taken off her in case things don’t go to plan. She will even threaten not to approve your time off if you do not complete a certain task. She uses her power as a scare tactic.

You will attempt to report this to upper management and it will get swept under the rug every time. You will try to explain that the way she treats you makes you dread coming to work and you will be promised that it will change. Newsflash: it won’t. Unlimited’s way of dealing with things is pretending that there is not a problem until it gets so bad that people are forced to quit or they just let you go and pretend they are “restructuring”. As long as the individual previously mentioned is there, the consulting desk will be a miserable place to work.

Advice to Management

1) Start trusting your employees more. The micromanagement is exhausting and causes unnecessary anxiety and stress which affects how people perform at work. You have a lot of very hardworking individuals who would be much happier and would stick around a lot longer if you just trusted them to do their jobs and stopped focusing so much on the numbers.

2) Pay more attention to the people that you have in management positions. Not all of them have the company, or your employees' best interests in mind.

3) Get an HR department.

"Software Engineer Review"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Unlimited Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My review is based on my experience in the Product Development department - I don't claim to know what it's like working in Client Services, and I suspect that's a source of the dichotomy between good and bad reviews on Glassdoor.

That said, here are the pros I see:
    * Company is very willing to explore and use new technology
    * Aversion to quick fixes and shortcuts - they generally seek to do things right, even if it takes some more time up front
    * Work with very intelligent coworkers
    * Excellent environment to learn to be a better programmer
    * Excellent pay and annual bonus
    * Beautiful building to work in
    * Company has big goals and has placed bold bets to achieve those goals - if we as a company are able to execute well on that vision, the company will be wildly successful.

Cons

* Huge learning curve when starting out, and documentation is lacking (though there is effort to correct this, and people are generally very helpful in working with you)
    * Lots of benefits are restricted until you've achieved a level of service time at the company. For example, you may find yourself with a month-long healthcare gap because you're not able to be on the company policy until the month after you complete your first full month, and you cannot contribute to the 401(k) until the quarter after you achieve a full year of employment
    * A decision made by one of the four brothers who run the company can change your team's priorities and processes with no warning and no input. This can be frustrating at times, especially when there's no clear rationale communicated.
    * Very formal dress code versus the industry as a whole - e.g. for men, button down shirt and dress slacks are required except for Fridays.
    * No work from home policy, although depending on your manager, they can be understanding for one-off situations
    * Some of the policies (like tracking the time you're logged in each day/week) feel draconian and untrusting for a technology company
    * Intra-department coordination can be lacking
    * Traffic on I-71 around the Kenwood exit tends to be a bit nasty during rush hour (although at least we're not downtown)

Advice to Management

* Teams need to have autonomy to work the way that works well for their individual team. As long as they are doing a good job, get out of the way as much as possible.
    * Core benefits like healthcare and retirement accounts should not be gated behind service time - this is an impediment to acquiring top talent
    * I know working with a co-located team is helpful in many ways, but consider a more permissive work from home policy (as opposed to none at all). Life happens, and employees appreciate it when you're willing to work with them.

"The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly"

I worked at Unlimited Systems full-time

Pros

Benefits are nice, however, they seem to be in line with industry standard. They offer health and dental, 401k match, free beverages, life insurance, etc.

Direct management cares to try and make a difference in the company. This is helpful even though Senior Management does not listen. It still gives the employees an outlet and a sense of being cared for.

The other people on the teams are bright and would be self-starters. Unlimited hires strongly motivated people out of college. Unfortunately, their go-get-it attitude is squashed quickly.

Cons

This is a micromanaged company with little room for change.
    It is owned and operated by brothers, so you can frequently see the nit-picking between the owners. Since there are four directors, they all have competing goals in mind when directing work to be done, making it so that the staff does not have a clear direction for their work. This company has a 'client is always right' attitude without any regard to their employees making the employees walk on eggshells so to speak regularly.

Advice to Management

Don't keep brushing off what is said. It affects morale. There is a reason for the revolving door with the staff, and it isn't because this is a great place to work.

"Some Unusual Policies can make life interesting..."

I have been working at Unlimited Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some teams are flexible with scheduling
    Covered parking is nice
    Free beverages besides just coffee
    Location is good for dining as well as after work shopping, etc.

Cons

I'm not out to bash the company, but I do want to mention some unique policies which could be nice to know up front.

All of the other reviews that discuss strict and unusual policies regarding food, dress code, etc. are true. In fact, while the dress code states business casual, I would consider it more of a business and less of a casual dress code.

Other items of note:
    -No headphones are allowed during business hours. This is despite the fact that the open office environment combined with the large number of people on calls at all hours of the day leads to a VERY noisy workplace.

-No personal heaters are allowed. This is problematic for some since the building temperature apparently cannot be maintained in any sort of equal fashion. One half of the building is comfortable and the other side frigid. To the point of people using blankets to keep warm.

-There are no vending machines in the office and only one in the building. So if you have a sudden craving for a salty snack, desire an energy drink or other items which aren't stocked in the company fridge you need to plan ahead and bring it in for yourself.

-Overall this is a "young" company and some teams are comprised almost solely of people in their twenties. This can be problematic in a couple of ways - First, most of the employees have little business experience, which leads to unchecked unprofessional behavior in the workplace (lack of any self modulation of voice volume, singing, eating during client calls, inability to manage time and priorities in some instances). Additionally, any team members that might be slightly older than the average may feel like the odd man out or even excluded from what is purported to be a team environment.

While the above may not be considered a con by some, these pieces of information are things which others may find useful when considering a job offer for this company since it can be hard to gauge what a company's culture is like just from the interviewing process.

"I would highly recommend working here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Unlimited Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Have yet to find someone I disliked while working at Unlimited and it's been 1.5 years at this point.
    * Amazing benefits as far as insurance and time off goes.
    * The company only charges 1 penny a piece for dental, vision, and heath insurance.
    * Fully stocked drink fridge and ample fridge space for employees.
    * The new Kenwood Tower location has lots of natural light, as the building is all glass.
    * The company always tries to adopt the newest types of language and frameworks in their products code base, at least for their newest product.
    * Approachable and supportive Management.
    * They reward those that work hard with a handsome end of the year bonus.
    * They are constantly growing and with that, growth in the company is readily available.
    * Very open to employee input to improve current process and procedures.

Cons

* No real training program for new hires.
    * Lack of a real HR is unsettling.
    * Lack of efforts in annual employee reviews, if you even get one.
    * No tuition reimbursement like most modern companies.
    * Lack of documentation for their products, outside their newest one.

"Revolving Door"

I worked at Unlimited Systems full-time

Pros

-Benefits and pay are great.
    -Depending on your direct manager, things can be very relaxed.
    -Office is second to none in terms of technology and style - it's brand new.
    -Great place to start straight out of school as you are handed a lot of responsibility very quickly.
    -Lots of fun and knowledgeable employees which makes for a very interactive office.
    -Free drinks
    -Awesome chairs

Cons

-This small company has outgrown what the current directors/owners are capable of handling, which results in a feeling of utter chaos.
    -There is no HR department which allows for a toxic work environment, including bullying from some long standing leaders. Employees feel like they can't go to their leaders without being discriminated against, especially upper management.
    -Little to no standardized processes for normal day-to-day workflows. This results in a lot of missed opportunities for enhancements and allows for continued chaos around projects and day-to-day operations (not to mention wasted $$). Maybe hire someone with actual ITSM experience and let them use it.
    -Communication gaps between individuals, teams, and leaders means rumors, awkwardness, and lack of trust.
    -Management is opaque about the direction of the company which makes employees apprehensive about their future.
    -Tons of micromanagement on the client facing side which results in deteriorated work ethics, negative attitudes, and sub par performance from even your most capable employees.
    -No work from home policy
    -Client Services is basically just a call center for their software's support.
    -Poorly structured hiring process - Many times interviewees are left alone for a half hour which is awkward. I have also witnessed management never answer back to people who interviewed leaving them hanging. Very unprofessional and rude. Would not recommend friends to interview here.

Advice to Management

Trust and listen to your employees, don't do it all yourself. Your employees make your business successful, not you alone.

Open your mind and ears, maybe some of your employees can help more than you'd like to believe it.

“Employees who believe that management is concerned about them as a whole person – not just an employee – are more productive, more satisfied, more fulfilled. Satisfied employees mean satisfied customers, which leads to profitability.” – Anne M. Mulcahy

"Never Going To Change"

Pros

- Benefits
    - Pay
    - High end work environment in Kenwood
    - Free drinks

Cons

There is one major problem that causes the rest. The "upper" management team (4 brothers) will not step back and let other dedicated and qualified (some they have lost) employees have real responsibility and help make decisions to better the company overall. If you want a pretty easy job all and all straight out of college for experience before you find the job that will make you happy, then apply here.

Advice to Management

Unfortunately I've learned that it is not really welcomed.

"Great Company to start"

I have been working at Unlimited Systems full-time

Pros

This is the best company to start out with because the company is growing fast. Because this company is still developing, there is plenty of room for new management and lead positions.

In my experience, you are given a good amount of responsibility and you are well recognized and rewarded for doing a good job. I have grown a lot since I started working in this company and I am sincerely thankful for it.

The office itself is modern with multiple monitors and cool desks that can adjust their height to be standing desks.

Cons

Depending on who your lead or manager is, there may be various levels of micromanaging and that can be a pain in the you know what. I do understand however that in some cases it is necessary given the nature of the work and the small margin for error.

I disagree with the opinion that this company does not listen to advice. They are open to well thought out ideas that can be managed without causing problems. I don't know of any company that will listen to some complaining and then instantly go scramble to "fix it." They are a growing company with high standards, some problems are to be expected, but I believe they will be resolved.

Advice to Management

I don't know anything about this pressure for good reviews thing that has been going around, but I am sure that it is not as bad as people are making it sound. I would say that reviews usually have a tendency of being negative, people that are upset will do whatever they can to get payback.

I would say I was happy to write this review and if I had known that all this drama was happening here, I would have written this earlier. Let all the employees know the issue, and Im sure that plenty of unvoiced satisfaction will come to the light.