Unum Developer Reviews | Glassdoor

4.6
Rick McKenney

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Micro-management, unrealistic workloads, non-existant work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Senior Management does NOT care about employees (in 11 reviews)

1. "A company you wont want to leave"

Current Employee - Director of Product Development in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Director of Product Development in Portland, ME

I have been working at Unum full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Unum takes care of its people. It's not uncommon to meet people that have been with Unum +25 years

Cons

It's a big company, so naturally things can move a bit slower and with more procedures than a startup.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

2. "Focused on employee development"

Current Employee - Professional Development Program Associate in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at Unum full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Fantastic benefits including 20 days of PTO from day 1
    - Management focused on developing employees
    - Very accommodating of lateral transfers to gain new experiences
    - Excellent work/life balance
    - Opportunity for project work in addition to day-to-day responsibilities
    - Growth opportunities for those who seek it
    - Great people!

Cons

- Hierarchical structure
    - Although making strides to become more nimble/agile/quick to react, it is still a very large company with many layers and tight budget restrictions

Advice to Management

- Certain operational segments of the company are experiencing pressure due to hiring needs not being met by current budgets
    - Investment in company should take priority over stock buy-backs at this time

"Stability, Opportunity, and Career Growth"

Current Employee - Professional Development Program Associate in Portland, ME

I have been working at Unum full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The opportunities that have been afforded to me at Unum have been tremendous. Apart from having a dynamic and engaged senior leadership team, the company places extra emphasis on professional development and commitment to our customers, shareholders and communities. The value that we provide to individuals in their time of financial hardship also makes coming to work very fulfilling. In addition, the company is in strong financial standing which makes me encouraged about career stability and longevity. Management really emphasizes work-life balance which I know many peers of mine at other companies are not so fortunate to have. Overall, very impressed and am glad to be part of the Unum family.

Cons

We are often criticized as being "too collaborative" which can sometimes stalemate the ability to accomplish key business objectives in the most efficient manner. I enjoy being surrounded by friendly people, but at times the politics of navigating the business can be frustrating.

4. "Oustanding Career Development"

I have been working at Unum full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unum's leadership development program is the best in the industry. The program gives young adults exposure to senior leader mentorship and offers an indepth tour around the company. Associates complete 3 rotations in different areas of the corporation for 12-18 months each. Upon program completion, placement into a director level role is the norm.

Cons

Rotations sometimes require temporary relocation among company headquarters. While a great opportunity, this can be difficult for colleagues with spouses or young families.

5. "Just starting out, outlook is excellent"

Current Employee - Professional Development Program Associate in Portland, ME

I have been working at Unum full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The compensation and benefits at Unum are top-notch as many other reviewers have reported. However, I've found that it is the people at Unum (managers or otherwise) that make the experience at Unum great. The people I've met thus far are well grounded in reality. They will not forget that you are a person and not a machine. The Paid Time Off is incredible and the work environment is busy but supportive. It is easy to make friends, laugh with coworkers and still be productive.

Cons

Not all organizations within Unum are constantly advancing or coming up with innovative ideas. However, an insurance company does not need to be a cutting edge technology company. Projects may take longer than they should to complete in some organizations because there are many day-to-day tasks that trump special projects. This really isn't a con because there are parts of the business that just need to work. But if you are looking for rapid innovation don't join sectors that are about the day-to-day grind. Look for groups at Unum that develop strategy.

Advice to Management

I have no complaints about the managers I've interacted with. Almost all are friendly or at least reasonable. There is plenty of communication between managers and direct reports.