Unum Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rick McKenney

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Micro-management, unrealistic workloads, non-existant work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Senior Management does NOT care about employees (in 11 reviews)

1. "Payroll"

Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at Unum as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

-Steady pay
    -Same day to day corporate routine
    -Cubicle lifestyle

Cons

-Poor management
    -New managers every 6 months who don't know what they are doing
    -Offshoring jobs to India to keep shareholder's profits high

Advice to Management

Care about your employees
    Invest in personal growth for employees instead of making them corporate robots and machine cogs
    -Make the intern program a growth period rather than a way to exploit young people for cheap part time labor

"Intake-RUN"

Current Employee - Intake Specialist in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Intake Specialist in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at Unum full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I keep hearing there are pros....other teams seem to be happy...in other towns...

Cons

where do I even begin.

Advice to Management

Let me first start by clarifying that I was inspired to write this review because I was mistakenly accused by management of writing some other negative review on this website…
    Let me first say, that no, I didn’t write whatever negative review which management was referring to, but they sure did inspire one…

This is a culture of suspicion and subtle accusations, perpetuated by immediate management. This seems to be a singular issue, as other teams clearly are able to demonstrate success and upward mobility. Indeed, my issue may be with one singular manager, and that is highly unfortunate, because after the thrice demotion, I truly cannot comprehend how this particular person still manages to stay in the lead of any sort of staff.

Management seems to be more interested in saving their own skin, rather than fostering the progression of their own employees…After over four years in the department, management still cannot be bothered to even learn the basics of the job of the employees they oversee, and can actually be quoted as saying as much, even going so far as to say “don’t ask me” and then push whatever question onto senior staff members….

They like to bring out a vague statistic of a 70% positive attrition rating……yeah, I don’t know where those people are coming or going from, but it definitely is not this team…

Honestly, if you're looking for a job in insurance in Chattanooga, there are several other major firms to go to, .....better firms...

"Unum owns Colonial, and AFI, read about them"

Current Employee - Opener in Renton, WA
    Current Employee - Opener in Renton, WA

I have been working at Unum full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

One of the Biggest Insurance Co. Sold by dozens of brands and products
    10,000 agents and 100,000 Brokers.
    Product value
    Work very few hours a day and days a week
    Online training.

Cons

ROI/income for most 1099 Agents is less than minimum wage
    Commissions are the lowest in the industry.
    Lowest leads in the industry
    Marketing and Training are the lowest in the industry
    Rookie's start clod calling on day one with no product training.
    Rookies are used as free labor to making cold calls in Old School Boiler Room, to create leads for Management.
    Low technology, slow Wi-Fi,
    No Base salary, Nor Draw, Benefits nor expenses covered
    Inexperienced Management, Support and Training

Advice to Management

Why the high turnover, why do 9 out of 10 New Agents last less than 90 days?
    Why no minimum wage draw of $15 hr. for 90 days = $7,800 like all others offer!
    Why no leads? Get Real Warm Profiled Leads, coming out of the national call center or Website and email marketing?
    Why No training before cold calling
    Why expect 180 Cold Calls a day, when no one is doing it?

4. "The Facts"

Current Contractor - B2B Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Contractor - B2B Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Unum as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Products, Recruiting, & B2B Schedule

This is one of the easy B2B schedules.
    Competitive Product
    Big Company with well known brand

Cons

1) Turnover: 1 out 10 last a year
    2) Flooding the market with multiple time needed of agents and brokers.
    3) Training and field support for months not weeks.
    4) ROI of time, money and energy that's more than a dishwasher makes. (Seattle $15.00)
    5) Most are 1099

Advice to Management

1) Better Web Training on Products for DM's
    2) Web Marketing Martials, like hi-tech Webinars showing comparisons to the competition.
    3) No 1099 employees, instead everyone starts with a draw of $15 hour.
    4) Months of 1 on 1 field and classroom training, not hours.

"Going Downhill Fast"

Current Employee - Market Specialist in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Market Specialist in Portland, ME

Pros

Superb coworkers. I didn't have to wait to get some time off.

Cons

Things have gone steadily downhill for a couple of years now. Poor work/life balance. Employees are often promised a work at home arrangement that never comes to fruition. Micromanaged environment that is highly stressful. Hourly workers (some with master's degrees) are treated like crap, and are not valued. This company seems bent on profits above all else, including our customers. Layoffs are common, especially for those over age 50.

"Terrible Executive Management"

Former Employee - Senior Architect in Portland, ME
    Former Employee - Senior Architect in Portland, ME

I worked at Unum (Less than a year)

Pros

Many employees have been there for 15-25 years and are great folks with whom to work. I was employed in a senior role for a number of years. I was compensated fairly and had great vacation and 401K benefits. I had good pension benefits before they canceled that program.

Cons

The current executive management, however, is a different matter. Millions are wasted due to incompetent leadership. Employees have been de-humanized, and nobody feels any loyalty to the company after the company clearly demonstrated that they did not value their associates. Leaving this company was the best thing I could have done. It's a shame, because it was great, once. I hear from colleagues still there that there is a massive outsourcing initiative underway. That will have drastic results as Unum's greatest market differentiator has always been the excellent customer services the employees delivered. Send that out to the lowest bidder, and watch the results.

Advice to Management

Examine the claims regarding savings by senior executives and hold them accountable to deliver. Review the failed projects and the executives who put incompetent people in charge and hold them accountable. Value your employees.

"STD Disability Benefits Specialist in Glendale, CA office"

Current Employee - Disability Benefits Specialist in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Unum full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible start time, as long as youre at work between the core hours of 9am-3pm.

Cons

Long hours, minimal room for advancement, minimal guidance or support by managers, very hard to take vacation time due to company's structure. Overtly scrutinizing of weekly metrics. Very low annual increase (1%-2% for most people).

Advice to Management

Invest in the happiness of your employees. Happy employees are productive.

"Not the place for highly the highly empathic."

Former Employee - Disability Benefits Specialist in Portland, ME
    Former Employee - Disability Benefits Specialist in Portland, ME

I worked at Unum full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great training.
    Decent benefits.
    Cafe in house is nice.
    Responsive to ergonomic concerns.
    Employee charitable contribution match.
    Commitment to community service.

Cons

The work is constant in the claims side of the house. It is a constant marathon, without natural eb and flow like many other industries. If you are a highly empathetic person, you may really struggle. I believe that folks who work directly with claimants who are perusing a claim or are on claim must figure out ways to turn empathy down. Unfortunately, that leads to some people who turn it completely down present as very callous, paranoid (about "fraud"), and potentially uncaring individuals. It's understandable that people may need to develop a thick skin and must compartmentalize in order to have the stamina to talk with people about their tough medical situations all day, every day, but...some people are disturbingly judgmental and plain mean. What I worried happened behind the scenes in claims occasionally came true- employees sometimes made fun of claimants.

Advice to Management

Help your staff manage the great emotional toll this work involves.

Reduce the constant flow of work by staffing appropriately. People cannot be treated like machines. Our what I described above about empathy can occur.

Read these reviews.

"Stay Away!"

Former Employee - Disability Benefits Specialist in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Disability Benefits Specialist in Glendale, CA

I worked at Unum full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Nice office
    -Flexible schedule
    -Parking
    -Decent PTO
    -Annual bonus

Cons

-Mediocre starting salary
    -Micro managing supervisors
    -Punitive environment (threatened by performance plans, no promotions, etc if you make any mistakes)
    -NO room for growth
    -Foster unhealthy competitive environment btn employees to get what they want out of you then don't give you recognition for your extra work
    -Endless meetings with no clarification of what is needed
    -No creativity in the work, you end up feeling like a robot all the time
    -Lack of employee morale
    -Management fakes concern for well being of their employees
    -Getting any time off around holidays is like the Hunger Games (may the odds be ever in your favor)
    -Bullying culture
    -If you express your concern with the work or have any sort of opinion, you are labeled a "complainer"
    -Basically what Hell on earth is like

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees for a change
    Stop micromanaging them
    Stop the punitive & bullying culture

"Dead end job, not a career."

Current Employee - Disability Benefits Specialist in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Unum full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Ok building and clean offices. Benefits and PTO are satisfactory. Most non-management staff are nice to work with. Flex hours.

Cons

Absolutely no room for growth. Very little transferrable skills, so finding a job out of here is difficult. Management is out of touch. Employment surveys are said to be anonymous but are not. This results in any constructive feedback viewed with disdain by management. This will negatively impact any potential promotions and raises. Lack of flexibility or concern for situations of DBS'. DBS seen as disposable and environment is punitive. Most new trainees quit very quickly once they see for themselves the situation.

Advice to Management

Stay in touch with the changes within the company instead of only expecting DBS' to do so, and running business as usual yourself. Value your employees. They are people, most of whom try to do their best. Think innovatively with how to serve your DBS' and help create a more positive work environment.