Unum Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Rick McKenney

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • difficult work life balance at times (in 9 reviews)

• Upper management does not connect with employees often or well (in 13 reviews)

1. "I've had an excellent experience working for Unum."

Current Employee - Systems Consultant in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Systems Consultant in Portland, ME

Pros

Work/Life Balance, Unum is a very established and solid company. I am proud to work for them and many others that I've talked to are proud too. There are Information Technology employees that have worked there for over 30 years and love it there. That is rare. Even though it is a huge company, I don't feel like I'm just another number.

Cons

Since Unum is a large company they are less agile. Many of the processes that lower agility also reduce risk as compared to a small company. Unum is pretty good at managing the agility/risk, but sometimes falls short.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

2. "The #1 Disability Insurer and Creator of Quality Coverage was sold in 1997."

Current Employee - Field Supervisor, Senior Represenative, Disability Analyst in Worcester, MA

Pros

Was #1 in Quality Insurance Products the entire time it existed.

Cons

None. The time you put in was entirely up to you.

Advice to Management

None - The Company was bought out when it was entered by a Conglomerant and sold on the Stock Market.

3. "Unum Changed After the Merger"

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Portland, ME
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Portland, ME

Pros

Great Management at Unum prior to the Merger. Training employees and support in job functions was the focus.

Cons

Merged with Provident and lost focus on importance of employees.

Advice to Management

Learn from your mistakes and look at the Unum model prior to the merger. Employees are your most important asset.

"Great company with as much focus towards employees as their customers."

Current Employee - IT Department in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - IT Department in Chattanooga, TN

Pros

Excellent benefits package right off the bat when you're hired on - you get roughly 20 days of paid time off (PTO) plus a week's worth of company holidays. Competitive health-care package. Pay is decent enough in IT for the area along with company bonuses handed out yearly according to profit/employee performance. Unum seeks to identify and encourage employee dedication and rewards with promotions. Chattanooga campus is very self-contained so there is little need to rush off in a hurry at lunchtime as there is an excellent cafeteria, credit union, walking track, and outdoor garden for break times. Mid-level management are usually very personable and approachable and treat everyone as adults without micro-managing. Great effort is spent on making the work environment as enjoyable as possible without distracting from the work itself.

Cons

Depending on the department you work in - daily schedule and leeway in how you manage your time at work can differ greatly. For example, the customer service call center takes inbound calls from insurance customers so the employees there are tied to the phones and monitored. If they are off the phones for 5 minutes, to answer a personal cell phone call for instance, management may come around and inquire. This is in start contrast to other departments, whose employees may only see their manager once a week at a staff meeting. That being said, Unum call-center employees are working at one of the best call centers in the area due to the month vacation time and good pay.

Advice to Management

Not much to say really, as I said before - management seems to be doing everything right already. Keep it up !

"Extremely proud to work for this company"

Current Employee - Non-Management in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Non-Management in Chattanooga, TN

Pros

My experience at Unum has been great. They have paid for school, benefits are good, salary is extremely competitive, and I have received numerous opportunities for growth in my career. After working for several other employers I finally came to Unum due to the recommendation of several friends. Of course all jobs have their bad days and no employer is perfect, but overall I have been extremely impressed with management and have been treated very well.

Cons

As others have mentioned, your experience is directly affected by your department and the type of work you do. Be sure to evaluate the work carefully when interviewing and don't hesitate to ask specific questions before accepting a position (ask what a typical day looks like, what the department goals are, if there are production requirements, etc). There are many positions with unfamiliar names, so if you don't ask you may not be 100% sure what your job will look like. Also, this is a LARGE company. I have worked for both large and small companies and I enjoy the hustle and bustle of large corporations. If you prefer a small company this may not be a good fit for you.

Advice to Management

In my opinion Sr. Management works hard to improve the work environment and employee morale. They continually seek feedback and are open to change. Continue that you'll continue to run a successful company.

"Pretty great place to work"

Current Employee - Sales Coordinator
    Current Employee - Sales Coordinator

Pros

Excellent management, awesome sales/support culture, helpful and healthy environment. Everyone works together, pitches in to help others in need and a high level or respect and courtesy that I've never been around previously. Turnover is low so chances for advancement are less frequent, but the culture and people make up for it. Pay is good, but room for improvement.

Cons

No overtime, limited chances for promotion because turnover is low, but the culture and people support make up for it.

Advice to Management

The business is constantly changing so there is a need to stay abreast of issues. Home Office does well to communicate, but room for improvement on field level rollout. More mentoring for new hires.

7. "EPM"

Current Employee - EPM
    Current Employee - EPM

Pros

Great team environment. Work life balance. Interesting work. Treated well.

Cons

Pay is fair, but could be a bit higher

Advice to Management

great. fair. reasonable.

"Unum is a great company to join or in my case...re-join!"

Current Employee - Human Resources Consultant in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Human Resources Consultant in Portland, ME

Pros

Unum is a great company to join or in my case - re-join! I started my career @ Unum directly out of college and gained training, mentorship and opportunities that proved invaluable to my HR career. Unlike most of my co-workers who remained happily employed with Unum, I relocated and left Unum. During the past 15 yrs, my career advanced and I had the opportunity to work for several fortune 50/100/250 organizations on the east and west coast. Although, I’ve enjoyed most of the companies I’ve had the opportunity to work with – none of these companies compared to Unum. So…I’m very happily back where I started at Unum with an enlightened appreciation!

Some of the best reasons to join Unum are...first and foremost, the employees you’ll work with daily – they are friendly, professional, care about their customers, the top in their field and all reflect a culture of trust, open communication and integrity.

Other reasons to work for Unum are: excellent benefits, competitive salaries, first class training, opportunities for growth and an established, yet cutting edge environment.

Cons

I can't think of a downside to working @ Unum....

Advice to Management

Very impressive HR leadership & team!

"Excellent Company to be a part of"

Current Employee - FMLA Leave Specialist in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - FMLA Leave Specialist in Chattanooga, TN

Pros

They care about their employees more than any company I have ever seen. They never hesistate to praise your hard work. The company places alot of focus on retaining and developing employees. Benefit package is really great as well as their STD benefits

Cons

I have so many meetings some times I feel I can't get my work done!
    Had to hire on as a temp worker at first

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Unum is a great place to work."

Pros

Work/life balance is important to me and Unum allows flexible work scheduled. Benefits are outstanding and I work with amazing people.

Cons

Unum has an annual bonus incentive program. The is a big disparity in how employees are paid out. The lowest paid employees receive small bonus while directors and above get 10-40% of their already large salaries as a bonus. It would be more fair to have all employees get the same percentage, for example all employees get a 10% of their salary bonus.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work leading the company during these challenging times.