Unum Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

Unum Reviews

Updated March 24, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Most areas see the need to help employees with work-life balance (in 35 reviews)

• Full training Great benefits Uncapped commission (in 47 reviews)

1. "Not bad"

I worked at Unum full-time

Pros

Satisfaction of helping people through serious problems

Cons

Lots of pressure with little acknowledgement of success

"Micro-Managing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Worcester, MA

I have been working at Unum full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Experience working in a corporate office. You gain plenty of experience working with difficult close minded people.

Cons

Not much room for growth. Management is very old styled- the managers want to keep you in their department instead of helping you grow and achieve your career goals. Hard work does not get rewarded but if you slack off even a little bit, that gets noticed a lot and puts a big dent on you.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging your employees. Allow them to explore other areas and help them reach their career goals.

"Challenging Work - Political Environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME

I have been working at Unum full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work is always challenging, the benefits are great and the people are quality.

Cons

The environment can be very political about how decisions are made about which projects to fund.

Advice to Management

Teams need to be given greater budgetary control so that they can run on their own.

"DBS review"

I have been working at Unum full-time

Pros

Good benefits and decent salary

Cons

Monotonous work and over the top standards that change too much

"Sexual Harassment rampant - company stuck in 1970s"

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Unum (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good training program
    Managers care about employees sales numbers
    Non-manager employees support each other
    Career growth available
    Solid company

Cons

Sexual Harassment straight out of the 1970s! Comments about bodies, weight, joking about females not working longterm, you name it. This company is an old boys club to the extreme. I filed claims with my managers three times - one time I was ostracized in the office and the men would not speak to me (the Account Executive was put on notice as he had misbehaved but he was later made a manager), one time my manager told me to "not take it personally, these men come from a different era" and the other time I was told I owuld get an apology but the older male rep said to me "oh come on, don't overreact".

Advice to Management

Listen to your female employees and watch the older males. It's 2017 and this cannot go on.

7. "Intake-RUN"

Current Employee - Intake Specialist in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Intake Specialist in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at Unum full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I keep hearing there are pros....other teams seem to be happy...in other towns...

Cons

where do I even begin.

Advice to Management

Let me first start by clarifying that I was inspired to write this review because I was mistakenly accused by management of writing some other negative review on this website…
    Let me first say, that no, I didn’t write whatever negative review which management was referring to, but they sure did inspire one…

This is a culture of suspicion and subtle accusations, perpetuated by immediate management. This seems to be a singular issue, as other teams clearly are able to demonstrate success and upward mobility. Indeed, my issue may be with one singular manager, and that is highly unfortunate, because after the thrice demotion, I truly cannot comprehend how this particular person still manages to stay in the lead of any sort of staff.

Management seems to be more interested in saving their own skin, rather than fostering the progression of their own employees…After over four years in the department, management still cannot be bothered to even learn the basics of the job of the employees they oversee, and can actually be quoted as saying as much, even going so far as to say “don’t ask me” and then push whatever question onto senior staff members….

They like to bring out a vague statistic of a 70% positive attrition rating……yeah, I don’t know where those people are coming or going from, but it definitely is not this team…

Honestly, if you're looking for a job in insurance in Chattanooga, there are several other major firms to go to, .....better firms...

"Leadership is extremely supportive and colleagues are great people to work with."

Pros

Great benefits, PTO, flexible schedule if need be, coworkers become friends and people enjoy being together outside of work. Fun and outgoing environment at the office.

Cons

Some believe that they are more deserving than others just because they make money for the company. Brokers have a need it now mentality. Can be very demanding at times. It's only insurance!

Advice to Management

Keep asking for feedback- you are awesome

"Do not apply here."

I worked at Unum full-time

Pros

Can be promoted after 18 months.

Cons

Late hours, no flexibility, low pay.

Advice to Management

Change the work hours, increase pay.

"Great company to work for"

I have been working at Unum full-time

Pros

Overall a very good company to work for. Good environment and great benefits. Financial state is healthy and stock is rising to new highs every day. Salaries are mid-tier but their primary locations are in low cost areas so its typically still in your advantage.

Cons

Every other year or so they layoff a decent sized group of employees due to cost constraints. The company is quite healthy but they are constantly looking for ways to cut nickles and dimes everywhere. While you are an employee you are treated quite well, but there is a good chance you will get laid off if you plan to work here long term and aren't constantly moving up. They are also not likely to replace people they lay off. They just let the work get absorbed slowly into the remaining workforce.

Advice to Management

Relax with the cost-cutting. Increase the ESPP discount to 15% from 10% to be on par with other companies. Stop making the PPO so expensive to make the high deductible plan look cheaper. Last year the employee part of the premium for the PPO went up 9% compared to 0% for the high dedcuctible plan. 9%! in one year!

11. "Career Development, top notch!"

I have been working at Unum full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very supportive senior management who have focus on talent management of all employees. You come in and demonstrate your strong leadership, they will value and take care of you!

Cons

IT organization needs improvement. You have to pay for gym membership. Cafeteria food is not great. They don't do well in addressing poor performance in a timely or effective manner.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing but focus more on how we more quickly address poor performance.