Unum Reviews | Glassdoor

Unum Reviews

Updated January 19, 2018

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • difficult work life balance at times (in 9 reviews)

• Upper management does not connect with employees often or well (in 14 reviews)

"Sexual Harassment rampant - company stuck in 1970s"

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Unum (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good training program
    Managers care about employees sales numbers
    Non-manager employees support each other
    Career growth available
    Solid company

Cons

Sexual Harassment straight out of the 1970s! Comments about bodies, weight, joking about females not working longterm, you name it. This company is an old boys club to the extreme. I filed claims with my managers three times - one time I was ostracized in the office and the men would not speak to me (the Account Executive was put on notice as he had misbehaved but he was later made a manager), one time my manager told me to "not take it personally, these men come from a different era" and the other time I was told I owuld get an apology but the older male rep said to me "oh come on, don't overreact".

Advice to Management

Listen to your female employees and watch the older males. It's 2017 and this cannot go on.

"dont be an intake specialist"

Current Employee - Intake Specialist in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Intake Specialist in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at Unum full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am still waiting to find out.

Cons

The amount of work and the time you have to do it in is very unbalanced. Management is pretty much non existent unless its about approving time. You have mentors but they are over worked as well. managers have no idea how to do your job, therefore they cannot help or make suggestions on how to manage the workload. The pay is not competitive.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and learn the job so u can actually help and not tell us to just find the balance

"Great benefits for someone that doesn't mind living at work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chattanooga, TN

Pros

Great benefit package, employees that are screened come in with strong qualities to make the business a success.

Cons

Over worked employees make for a very stressful environment, management in certain departments tend to play employees against each other therefore leading to tension on the floor which seems to result in these individuals being the ones that get the job advancement opportunity . Management expects you to work 10-12 hours however they are 8-5 employees.

Advice to Management

Support is needed to reduce the hours employees are working and they need to be professional not picking favorites to "watch others and report back"

4. "Intern position"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Unum as an intern

Pros

lots of opportunities to move around within company

Cons

not great pay in relation to competitors

"Customer Service Specialist"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist I in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist I in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at Unum (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, PTO, Floating Holidays were a big pro. Pay is decent if you are fresh out of college.

Cons

On the phone all day, everyday. No time to get to know your coworkers. Trapped in a cubicle for 8-10 hours a day. Assigned break times, couldn't get up and go to the restroom if you needed to. Had to suck up to management to even get anywhere in the company. They were not understanding if life happens.

"Sales Coordinator"

Former Employee - Sales Coordinator in Kansas City, KS
    Former Employee - Sales Coordinator in Kansas City, KS

I worked at Unum (More than a year)

Pros

Employee Benefits. Unum really takes care of their employees benefit wise.

Cons

Satellite offices cater to the sales reps and client managers only. If you do not hold either one of these positions do not expect any perks. Management really only cares about ancillary employees 4 times a year, which is at the end of each quarter when business is being submitted. Workloads can be extremely high, and management does little help to ease or delegate overflow. Hourly employees are expected to work long hours, and it is highly discourage by management to submit overtime. There is very limited opportunity for career growth at the satellite offices unless you want to move into sales. I have heard that employee satisfaction is much higher at the home office.

"Under 30 only"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dalton, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dalton, GA

I have been working at Unum full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great products that truly help people. I had to be out on Short Term Disability, personally, and don't know what I would have done with out Unum's Short Term Disability coverage.

I have also made some of the best friends I have ever had while working here!

Cons

Micro-management, unrealistic workloads, non-existant work-life balance.

Advice to Management

Don't sacrifice quality for quantity. Don't dismiss people that are fifty or above. Just because that's "what the other guys are doing," doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. After all, isn't integrity "doing the right thing, even when no one is looking?" The current level of unrealistic expectation for employees ultimately does your bottom line a disservice (since you end up eating the costs associated with staff turnover due to burnout).

"Sr. Software Developer"

Former Employee - IT Professional in Portland, ME
    Former Employee - IT Professional in Portland, ME

I worked at Unum full-time

Pros

Coworkers were great...friendly, helpful and most are very competent. Benefits are good (PTO, 401k).

Cons

Management leaves a lot to be desired. Company keeps employees living in fear of losing their job. Constant layoffs..small mostly, but some big. They love to layoff employees who have been employed many years (20-40 years of service). And they also layoff many employees in their 50s and 60s. Nice reward after they have worked so hard for the company. This is hidden from press and employees must sign not to ding company or go to press or sue if they want to get severance. It is unbelievable Unum has been so successful in this practice. The press and communities are clueless to Unum's treatment of their employees.

Lots of new management. Old Unum management sold their employees out by hiring new mgmt that is slashing, outsourcing and going to the cloud and packaged software. Most of management is yes men and care about their own survival only.

Work load was horrendous. Lots of extra hours for years. When you live in constant fear of losing your job, one pushes themselves to far. Lots of employees on stress disabilities, but not a good idea since Unum regularly lays off employees on disability. Oh do they sell disability insurance?!

Advice to Management

Take care of your very knowledgeable and dedicated staff. They are your company. Are you saving any money by going to cloud and packaged software sold by vendors? Not really, you are just lining vendor pockets and paying consultants. Outsourcing again. Are you going back to in house support after you retry this business model yet again? Did you not learn from last time?

Give up some of your compensation and bonuses for your people. Employees get very small, if any annual increases.

Taking care of your employees should help you sleep at night. I honestly don't know how you sleep or live with yourselves now.

9. "Janitor part time"

Former Employee - Housekeeper in Flintstone, GA
    Former Employee - Housekeeper in Flintstone, GA

I worked at Unum part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I liked getting off at 930 pm so I could be home with my boys and not working til midnight.

Cons

The manger is a racist. He don't like white girl and always down grated me. I was the only white person but I got along with the 30 black women I worked with. They was very nice to me.

Advice to Management

GET A MANGER THAT KNOWS HOW TO TREAT PEOPLE WITH RESPECT. I WAX A GREAT EMPLOYEE THAT WORKED MY BUTT OFF AND IT WAS NEVER APPRECIATED.

"Very Political and Toxic Environment"

Former Employee - IT Architect
    Former Employee - IT Architect

I worked at Unum full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great co-workers and very good benefits.

Cons

Political posturing in management ranks
    Covering up bad decisions due to leadership sponsorship
    Slow to innovate because of political battles in IT
    Limited growth opportunities
    Little investment in employee training
    Forced rankings and bell curve