Unum Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 21, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Micro-management, unrealistic workloads, non-existant work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Senior Management does NOT care about employees (in 11 reviews)

1. "Disability Benefits Specialist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME

I have been working at Unum (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible, focus on professional growth

Cons

Hard to relocate offices. Then

"It's what you would expect for an entry level position at a large company"

Current Employee - Broker Compensation Representative in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Broker Compensation Representative in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at Unum full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I would say it is a pretty stable position. Great benefits, 401k matching and generous PTO package. Growth opportunities with all the many departments within the company.

Cons

It can seem very political at times. You aren't necessarily promoted on a performance basis. I would say that comes with any large company.

"Hardest work I've ever done, but very rewarding."

Former Employee - Senior Disability Benefits Specialist in Portland, ME
    Former Employee - Senior Disability Benefits Specialist in Portland, ME

I worked at Unum full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great training. If you can play the game and say "yes," you'll be tolerated and promoted, but worked to the bone. A large amount of decent people trying to do the right thing. I've noticed numerous employees went out on psych claims for not being able to manage the stress of their role and work loads. Many couldn't cut it. Good people who were often treated poorly and disrespectfully and brought to the brink.
    I did have an excellent Director who was reasonable and knowledgeable. Another one who couldn't make a decision without having numerous expensive resources reviewing the claim ad nauseam to ultimately agree with my recommendation.

Cons

Fear based management practices. Tolerance from management of belligerent behaviors from Clinical Consultants and more seasoned DBS types. These practices contributed to fear tactics of managing others. These tactics don't work long term and can create a hostile environment and paranoia.

"Under 30 only"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dalton, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dalton, GA

I have been working at Unum full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great products that truly help people. I had to be out on Short Term Disability, personally, and don't know what I would have done with out Unum's Short Term Disability coverage.

I have also made some of the best friends I have ever had while working here!

Cons

Micro-management, unrealistic workloads, non-existant work-life balance.

Advice to Management

Don't sacrifice quality for quantity. Don't dismiss people that are fifty or above. Just because that's "what the other guys are doing," doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. After all, isn't integrity "doing the right thing, even when no one is looking?" The current level of unrealistic expectation for employees ultimately does your bottom line a disservice (since you end up eating the costs associated with staff turnover due to burnout).

"Work with a professional team"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at Unum full-time

Pros

Nice downtown location with fitness center, they offer domestic partner benefits before the supreme court ruling. Decent pay and benefits. Nice cafeteria.

Cons

The reorganization caused hundreds to lose their jobs and now the company is researching outsourcing many areas of the company.

Advice to Management

Return to a culture that values experience

6. "Information Architect"

Current Employee - Information Architect in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Information Architect in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Unum full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company with excellent benefits, lots of room to move forward or laterally, well-educated colleagues, relaxed work environment, flexible when time off is needed.

Cons

There is a lot of work depending on your role, which can be overwhelming at times, aside from that it is great.

"Sr. Software Developer"

Former Employee - IT Professional in Portland, ME
    Former Employee - IT Professional in Portland, ME

I worked at Unum full-time

Pros

Coworkers were great...friendly, helpful and most are very competent. Benefits are good (PTO, 401k).

Cons

Management leaves a lot to be desired. Company keeps employees living in fear of losing their job. Constant layoffs..small mostly, but some big. They love to layoff employees who have been employed many years (20-40 years of service). And they also layoff many employees in their 50s and 60s. Nice reward after they have worked so hard for the company. This is hidden from press and employees must sign not to ding company or go to press or sue if they want to get severance. It is unbelievable Unum has been so successful in this practice. The press and communities are clueless to Unum's treatment of their employees.

Lots of new management. Old Unum management sold their employees out by hiring new mgmt that is slashing, outsourcing and going to the cloud and packaged software. Most of management is yes men and care about their own survival only.

Work load was horrendous. Lots of extra hours for years. When you live in constant fear of losing your job, one pushes themselves to far. Lots of employees on stress disabilities, but not a good idea since Unum regularly lays off employees on disability. Oh do they sell disability insurance?!

Advice to Management

Take care of your very knowledgeable and dedicated staff. They are your company. Are you saving any money by going to cloud and packaged software sold by vendors? Not really, you are just lining vendor pockets and paying consultants. Outsourcing again. Are you going back to in house support after you retry this business model yet again? Did you not learn from last time?

Give up some of your compensation and bonuses for your people. Employees get very small, if any annual increases.

Taking care of your employees should help you sleep at night. I honestly don't know how you sleep or live with yourselves now.

"Good Money, Dull Work"

Former Employee - Unum Scholar in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Unum Scholar in Chattanooga, TN

Pros

For a college student, $13 an hour is a good wage. They are pretty good about working with class schedules.

Cons

The work is monotonous, and although they encourage friendship within the department, they get mad if you talk to your neighbors. It can feel a little cagey.

9. "Janitor part time"

Former Employee - Housekeeper in Flintstone, GA
    Former Employee - Housekeeper in Flintstone, GA

I worked at Unum part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I liked getting off at 930 pm so I could be home with my boys and not working til midnight.

Cons

The manger is a racist. He don't like white girl and always down grated me. I was the only white person but I got along with the 30 black women I worked with. They was very nice to me.

Advice to Management

GET A MANGER THAT KNOWS HOW TO TREAT PEOPLE WITH RESPECT. I WAX A GREAT EMPLOYEE THAT WORKED MY BUTT OFF AND IT WAS NEVER APPRECIATED.

10. "A great learning opportunity"

Former Employee - Contrract Adminisraitor in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Contrract Adminisraitor in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at Unum full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A great culture especially for women. Excellent facilities and benefits. A great learning environment. Very corporate which allows for room for growth and advancement.

Cons

Work tempo was slow paced compared to other industries. Very corporate feel could be positive if that is what you are looking for.