Uplift Education Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Yasmin Bhatia

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Provides completed lesson plans to new teachers" (in 3 reviews)

• "The culture is mission-driven and scholars-first, attracting energetic and passionate school reformers who seek to improve public education" (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "There is no work life balance as they insist" (in 6 reviews)

• "Teachers are overworked and underpaid" (in 5 reviews)

"Every Campus Differs -"

Current Employee - Art & Tech Teacher in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Art & Tech Teacher in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Uplift Education full-time

Pros

😀 advancement opportunities for those seeking leadership roles.
    😀 as of this year- better pay
    😀 cmo consistently is trying to get equal funding (this last year there was an increase)
    😀 family like atmosphere at my campus (Luna Secondary) where feedback is greatly appreciated and encouraged.
    😀 training for teachers to enhance self emotional regulation as well as Scholars.
    😀 experienced admin

Cons

😐 Wellness Wed is indeed great, however school days end about 30 minutes after ISDs, so you still spend much more time than ISDs.
    😐 Uplift as a whole is still growing and changing- this sometimes makes it difficult to follow the same pattern.
    😐 I do NOT recommend the alt cert program by Uplift. On a first year teacher it is incredibly difficult, however I believe they too are improving.
    😐 professional developments on Wednesday’s are too long- lasting most times until 4:45 or 5:00 resulting in lost work time.

Advice to Management

Keep developing new ways to retain experienced teachers. With our level of scholars who have left other schools to join us, having Uplift culturally experienced teachers aids to the development of the scholars as they adjust. I believe with retention of experienced teachers our schools will improve.

Keep trying to find better insurance.

2. "Teacher"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Uplift Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Family orientation with employees; everyone worked well with each other

Cons

Work overload and no regard for teachers

3. "Teacher"

I worked at Uplift Education full-time

Pros

My fellow teachers were helpful.

Cons

Management at my campus was unorganized and did not set a clear path for the teachers to follow.

4. "Don’t work at Grand Primary"

Pros

Some staff are friendly but some are not.

Cons

Tooo much micromanagement by women who are very emotional. Team leads are not properly trained in leadership and don’t know how to be leaders. The current young dean is untrained. The leadership has preferences for certain staff members. Too much work. Young inexperienced teachers are hired and don’t have what it takes to be leaders. Be prepared for too much work, women who micromanage and will not deal with discipline. It’s a very demAnding but weird environment.

Advice to Management

Please train your team leads and leadership team! Leaders are to inspire and motivate not damper others!

5. "Teacher"

I worked at Uplift Education full-time

Pros

I was never bored there!

Cons

There is a tremendous amount of work

6. "Teacher"

I worked at Uplift Education (Less than a year)

Pros

I can not think of a reason to or stay

Cons

No support or unity. Everyone struggles to survive.

Advice to Management

Be consistent and b visible

7. "Ok but with its shortcomings!"

Former Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Irving, TX

I worked at Uplift Education full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

salary and teamwork are above average

Cons

Stressful environment and a lot of non-ending work. Scholars need a lot of resources to be at level.

Advice to Management

Divide classes based on a pre-test to have less differentiation.

8. "Too much work"

I worked at Uplift Education full-time

Pros

-Great starting point for new teachers. Lots of coaching!
    -Lots of potential to move into a admin position
    -Very young and fun staff

Cons

-WAY too much work as far as lesson planning, observations, and meetings. It became frustrating after working there for many years and it feels like you are being extremely micromanaged.
    -Often times the schools seem like there are 'too many cooks in the kitchen'. The expectations change from year to year.
    -Teaching to the test is 150% happening here and the children are losing creativity because of it.
    -The "IB" school is completely a dog and pony show. It is impossible for these schools to be truly IB with all the testing and performance pay expectations.
    -Wellness Wednesdays are given once a month. But with all the lesson planning, and work to do it is hard to even enjoy it.

9. "Tough but fulfilling work"

I worked at Uplift Education full-time

Pros

Great sense of community on campus; campus admin works hard to meet teacher needs; you know that you are having an impact on the lives of scholars who need your support

Cons

CMO not always in touch with how the different campuses work and their needs; work/life balance is tough since you will have a lot on your plate

Advice to Management

Make sure communication is clear and timely; busy work is not appreciated

"Give 100% to students, be told that's not enough."

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Uplift Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Meaningful mission to improve student outcomes.

Some flexibility in how you can create lessons for students.

Ability to grow and begin new programs quickly, without needing years of tenure. For example, if you want to start a sports team that doesn't require thousands in funding (i.e. soccer, flag football, volleyball, etc), it is very easy to start a team.

Cons

Pay not commensurate with peer districts.

Work life balance is awful, even with summers as they are dedicated to IB training.

Student retention is low, causing school to recruit students that may have been expelled from other schools. This has obvious consequences to teachers.

Teacher Retention is not a goal of the district. Literally, there are no retirement plans. This affects so much of the work here, as the pay isn't enough, the evaluations are such that you could be grade level chair, content chair, planning field trips, leading clubs, teaching multiple preps, and STILL be rated at a 2/4. When teachers propose leaving, our director is like "cool", instead of actually trying to keep experienced teachers. The only teachers that stay, are the ones that have not worked elsewhere.

Racial discrimination is present, where it seems that white teachers are treated normally, but all teachers of minority background have issues with "tone" or "professionalism". The CEO doesn't have enough representation on her team, that even on her limited communication to the network, she still misspeaks 2/2 years I've worked here.

District assessments are ridiculously curved so that a student scoring 6% raw will earn a 71 % on their report card. This teaches students to disregard all tests as not important. Then, the network wonders why our ACT scores are so low...

Advice to Management

Instead of huddling with the board about what ideas can make the district better, listen to teachers and reach out to them during training before August, during collaboration days, in January, and continue those conversations throughout the rest of the year so that the board can take actionable steps to improve outcomes in the network. Another charter district I worked for had the superintendent make an appearance at every school for at least 30 minutes before a school year started. Not every year, but at least the effort was there.

In any organization, 90% of people should get a pay raise, with the 10% maybe getting a conversation about whether they belong or not. Apparently, 67 admin members across the district didn't get pay raises last year, and then 62 of them aren't' returning. That's not how you keep talent in any organization.

The best teachers have been doing it for years. They're not people right out of college on a TFA contract.