Uplift Education Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 9, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Yasmin Bhatia

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Lots of professional development" (in 7 reviews)

• "Performance Pay, Growth opportunities, Great culture" (in 3 reviews)

Cons

1. "Every Campus Differs -"

Current Employee - Art & Tech Teacher in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Art & Tech Teacher in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Uplift Education full-time

Pros

😀 advancement opportunities for those seeking leadership roles.
    😀 as of this year- better pay
    😀 cmo consistently is trying to get equal funding (this last year there was an increase)
    😀 family like atmosphere at my campus (Luna Secondary) where feedback is greatly appreciated and encouraged.
    😀 training for teachers to enhance self emotional regulation as well as Scholars.
    😀 experienced admin

Cons

😐 Wellness Wed is indeed great, however school days end about 30 minutes after ISDs, so you still spend much more time than ISDs.
    😐 Uplift as a whole is still growing and changing- this sometimes makes it difficult to follow the same pattern.
    😐 I do NOT recommend the alt cert program by Uplift. On a first year teacher it is incredibly difficult, however I believe they too are improving.
    😐 professional developments on Wednesday’s are too long- lasting most times until 4:45 or 5:00 resulting in lost work time.

Advice to Management

Keep developing new ways to retain experienced teachers. With our level of scholars who have left other schools to join us, having Uplift culturally experienced teachers aids to the development of the scholars as they adjust. I believe with retention of experienced teachers our schools will improve.

Keep trying to find better insurance.

2. "Tough but fulfilling work"

I worked at Uplift Education full-time

Pros

Great sense of community on campus; campus admin works hard to meet teacher needs; you know that you are having an impact on the lives of scholars who need your support

Cons

CMO not always in touch with how the different campuses work and their needs; work/life balance is tough since you will have a lot on your plate

Advice to Management

Make sure communication is clear and timely; busy work is not appreciated

"Give 100% to students, be told that's not enough."

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Uplift Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Meaningful mission to improve student outcomes.

Some flexibility in how you can create lessons for students.

Ability to grow and begin new programs quickly, without needing years of tenure. For example, if you want to start a sports team that doesn't require thousands in funding (i.e. soccer, flag football, volleyball, etc), it is very easy to start a team.

Cons

Pay not commensurate with peer districts.

Work life balance is awful, even with summers as they are dedicated to IB training.

Student retention is low, causing school to recruit students that may have been expelled from other schools. This has obvious consequences to teachers.

Teacher Retention is not a goal of the district. Literally, there are no retirement plans. This affects so much of the work here, as the pay isn't enough, the evaluations are such that you could be grade level chair, content chair, planning field trips, leading clubs, teaching multiple preps, and STILL be rated at a 2/4. When teachers propose leaving, our director is like "cool", instead of actually trying to keep experienced teachers. The only teachers that stay, are the ones that have not worked elsewhere.

Racial discrimination is present, where it seems that white teachers are treated normally, but all teachers of minority background have issues with "tone" or "professionalism". The CEO doesn't have enough representation on her team, that even on her limited communication to the network, she still misspeaks 2/2 years I've worked here.

District assessments are ridiculously curved so that a student scoring 6% raw will earn a 71 % on their report card. This teaches students to disregard all tests as not important. Then, the network wonders why our ACT scores are so low...

Advice to Management

Instead of huddling with the board about what ideas can make the district better, listen to teachers and reach out to them during training before August, during collaboration days, in January, and continue those conversations throughout the rest of the year so that the board can take actionable steps to improve outcomes in the network. Another charter district I worked for had the superintendent make an appearance at every school for at least 30 minutes before a school year started. Not every year, but at least the effort was there.

In any organization, 90% of people should get a pay raise, with the 10% maybe getting a conversation about whether they belong or not. Apparently, 67 admin members across the district didn't get pay raises last year, and then 62 of them aren't' returning. That's not how you keep talent in any organization.

The best teachers have been doing it for years. They're not people right out of college on a TFA contract.

4. "CMO"

I have been working at Uplift Education full-time

Pros

Collaborative environment, opportunities for growth

Cons

Growing pains associated with fast paced growth

5. "Manager"

Pros

Days off and other activities assigned

Cons

Bad management at sometimes during the day

Advice to Management

N/a

6. "Awesome"

I have been working at Uplift Education full-time

Pros

Great training available for new teachers.

Cons

Long hours. School year starts in June

7. "Teacher"

I have been working at Uplift Education full-time

Pros

Pay is somewhat comparable to ISDs, one wellness Wed each month, kids, co-workers are nice to work with

Cons

Extreme micromanagement!!! I had the worst teaching experience of my career. Experience is not valued and in fact is destroyed. They hire primarily first and second year teachers because 1... They can get more money from you because you have to go through their 2 year training program, and 2... They can mold you (you'll drink the kool-aid.) Admin at all levels is very lacking in significant (necessary) experience.

Advice to Management

Trust teachers to teach. Deal with the favoritism (it's worse here than anywhere I've worked over the last 30 years!) If you're going to make the claim of being an IB school, then be sure to train the teachers. As it is now, the IB claims are a joke. Remove all tpt material from your curriculum. It's against the law to have it on your website. Your "writers" need to be better trained in writing curriculum and assessments. But I guess that's what you get when you fast track inexperienced teachers, because that's all you have to pull from. Hhhmmm... One more thing.... professional dress. My school was pretty "ghetto" in its culture and teacher dress. Skin tight, ripped, revealing, leggings with short T shirts ( and that included admin!) Very unprofessional dress.

8. "Technology Teacher"

I have been working at Uplift Education full-time

Pros

Resources to improve and become a better educator

Cons

The amount of meetings needed to attend throughout the year

9. "Aroura Pina"

Former Employee - Kitchen Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Kitchen Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Uplift Education full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good job everyone is friendly and and worked well together it was totally a team atmosphere.

Cons

Not being able to cook in some kitchens due to the structure and just having central kitchens deliver lunch to scholars

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and FCN employees will continue to work hard to make it a success

10. "Worst experience ever"

Former Employee - Teacher in Mansfield, TX
    Former Employee - Teacher in Mansfield, TX

I worked at Uplift Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wellness Wednesday, students, college signing day, new campus. There are some good genuine people here, but it’s not the norm. The only ones who feel
    It is ok are those that know no different.

Cons

Takes advantage of being a charter school and not
    Dealing with unions. Therefore they overwork
    And do not pay competitively. No work /life balance. Excessive favoritism, poor and no present management, inconsistent. Tries to make school appear it
    Is a cut above the rest, but it has no differences from what I have seen before. You can call people “scholars”
    And put the word preparatory on it but it still
    Just a school. Many teachers are first and second year teachers. They claim to coach their teachers, but it’s nothing more than a few pop-ins and they break
    Their teachers down with negativity. When the actual review comes they score them higher but not after stressing them totally out. For a school who says they are inclusive they don’t want too much diversity in their
    Staff. Works poorly with a disability and anyone who
    May not be their cookie cutter style. Since leaving this job I am much happier. Any school who works there teaches 9 hours a day with very little downtime, stay away from! Their professional development is rarely good, many times they throw stuff together just
    To say they are offering It.

Advice to Management

Uplift Summit needs a major microscope. Upper management above campus leader never present. They treat their employees terribly unless you are one their favorites then you can do basically anything.