Uplift Family Services Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Darrell Evora

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Good people with big hearts and a great vision."

Current Employee - Behavior Program Coordinator in Campbell, CA
    Current Employee - Behavior Program Coordinator in Campbell, CA

I have been working at Uplift Family Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. Wonderful benefits such as 401k - employer will match 4%, tuition reimbursement, Delta Dental, Kaiser, life insurance, etc. This is the smallest amount I've had to contribute to have Kaiser for my kids and I.
    2. Supportive upper management.
    3. Hardworking team.

Cons

No complaints at this time.

Advice to Management

None at this time.

2. "Clinician I"

I have been working at Uplift Family Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place for beginners

Cons

the pay is limited due to being a non profit

3. "Family Specialist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Campbell, CA

I worked at Uplift Family Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are good but that's about it.

Cons

Management, hostile environment. Pay is very low

4. "Counselor I"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Campbell, CA

I worked at Uplift Family Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere to learn and grow as a professional. Friendly team, HR is great and organized, IT is great as well.

Cons

Pay is minimal but you can get the occasional raise to your salary

Advice to Management

Nothing, great job!

5. "Poor Training and onboarding for middle management"

Former Employee - Program Manager in San Bernardino, CA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in San Bernardino, CA

I worked at Uplift Family Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The organization has a good intentions.

Cons

Experimental and poorly managed by Upper and Middle Managers.

Advice to Management

Hire a MBA to set up systems and accountability structures

6. "Clinician I"

Current Employee - Clinician in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Clinician in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Uplift Family Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I really enjoy working with this agency because the atmosphere is warm, welcoming, and understanding. I have felt very supported by staff. There is a lot of opportunity for learning.

Cons

The difficult part of the job is managing time (client work, planning for client work, paperwork, meetings) and balancing work life with home life well.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! You have created a very great culture at our workplace. It is great to feel appreciated and listened to by management.

7. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Uplift Family Services part-time

Pros

Collaborative, team setting where everyone is receptive to feedback

Cons

Intimidating at first since everything and your clients are all so new

8. "Family Specialist"

I have been working at Uplift Family Services full-time

Pros

-Team oriented
    -Positive people/environment
    -Flexible schedule
    -Management is great depending on program
    -Fun with a group amazing team members

Cons

-Pay is decent.
    -Can get tiring if you do not know how to manage your time wisely.

Advice to Management

none

9. "Clinician II"

I worked at Uplift Family Services full-time

Pros

I really enjoyed the benefits that were offered in this job, and met some awesome co-workers who made my time here better. I also enjoyed the variety of training offered.

Cons

Lots of office politics including blatant favoritism where they would constantly get away with not having to do their work and their work being subpar which created a somewhat negative team/dept community. High turnover rates (6 month average), constant changes but also 'normal' in the non-profit world. Medi-cal paperwork is very intense, but beneficial in the long run ( 3 day turnaround on progress notes, initial treatment plans and 30 days assessment)

Advice to Management

Provide more support to managers and hopefully in turn will also provide more support to more hands on clinical staff. Provide more office space for clinical staff and not just managers.

"Pretty great place to work, if you can fit in"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Uplift Family Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent, amazing, unmatched benefits, particularly paid time off. When I left, it was 6 sick days per year, 10-11 paid holidays, and 22 vacation days per year. You would earn 7.33 hours of vacation time per semi-monthly (15th and 30th) pay period. Having worked a few other places in the mental health field, this is unmatched. They've also got a very good 401k (up to 4% of your salary matched).

Other pros include a flexible work schedule if you're a 'direct service' staff (FIT = clinician, Wraparound = facilitator, TBS = behavior analyst, or if you're a behavior specialist or advocate for any program). Keep in mind if you're a bachelors level employee in Sacramento County, you will be hourly, but its still flexible. It's better if you're a masters level employee (clinician, facilitator, behavior analyst, or management) as you'll be salaried and can more or less set your own schedule. If you're meeting your productivity numbers, are pleasant to your coworkers and have good outcomes with your children and families on your caseload, management will leave you alone to do your work.

Very rewarding work. You're helping children and families improve their mental health, fight stigma, and guide them through what is usually a scary process. This is huge, and you *will* go home feeling accomplished more often than not. At least I did. Uplift promotes from within for the most part, which is great for advancement. There are cons to this (see below), but there is plenty of upward mobility.

Cons

This is tiring work. You need to have your self-care game on point. You will feel drained frequently. The paperwork and bureaucracy never ends, because Uplift contracts with Sacramento County, which means lots of oversight and forms to complete. You've got to be tech savvy and be able to use a computer to at least a moderate degree. You've got to be flexible, you can't just get stuck in your ways and refuse to adapt.

Upper management has had some tough times over the last 2-3 years (ish). It has not been pretty in the Sacramento office, and there are still certain individuals that you need to be careful around. From what I've heard since leaving, these problem individuals have had more attention paid to them, but they're still there, up to their same bad behavior (just a little less obviously as more eyes are on them).

Frequently (as is the case in many places of employment) upper management makes decisions with no awareness of what day to day operations is going through. There's a bit of ivory tower syndrome happening, but efforts are occasionally made to fight this...but they're usually unsuccessful from direct care staff's point of view.

The biggest con I can mention is the feeling among staff that those that fly under the radar, and keep their heads down, are the employees that seem to do the best. Employees who make waves, for good or bad, get a lot of managerial attention and that can be bad.

Advice to Management

Keep learning, keep listening, and actually go down 'in the trenches' so you don't forget what its like. It's too easy for managers to forget what it's like to do the day to day work with children and families. No, it doesn't matter how many years you were a direct care staff: you will forget and times will change, and you need to keep yourself connected.