Upper Crust Bakery Reviews | Glassdoor

Upper Crust Bakery Reviews

2.0
Tab Navidi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Upper Crust Review 2016"

Former Employee - Packer in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Packer in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Upper Crust Bakery full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot of hours, good pay.

Cons

Not enough workers, too many tasks.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like you need them.
    Respect the fact they make it happen.

"Racist"

Current Employee - Bakery Team Member in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Bakery Team Member in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Upper Crust Bakery full-time

Pros

The hours are good and steady.lots of over time

Cons

Management rude yell at u if your not Spanish your nothing to them.i got fired for asking someone why was they staring.at me while i ate my lunch. Very spiteful place to worke

Advice to Management

Not good

3. "NA"

Pros

Raquel (manager) was helpful and Karlo was nice and kept me enthusiastic to work, even when it was hard. 24 hour business, so there were multiple schedules to choose from. Fabiola (supervisor) demanded as tough of an effort from herself as she demanded from us. The managers are bilingual.

Cons

Disorganized: Sometimes we didn't have what we needed to complete the job efficiently. I use to have to beg for a scrapper to clean up with after I completed my work and there was only one time that a co-worker allowed me to use her scrapper. There should be at least one scrapper for every department. Sometimes we would fall behind for things such as the oven not being turned on. The company doesn't value teamwork. Employees were so inclined to finish their job so quickly that they didn't care about safety. My hand was slammed between racks twice because a co worker was rushing to get their work done. There have been numerous times that guys driving the forklift didn't give me the right away and almost hit me because they were speeding through the facility. Workers are also very lazy. They try to make you do the heavy lifting while take care of the light work. The tips of my fingers are permanently numb because I wasn't taught the proper way to do the job. Some of the managers are rude. There are no opportunities for growth unless you're bilingual. Some people did not wash their hands before putting on their gloves to handle the food.

Advice to Management

Nothing.

"Cook"

Current Employee - Cook in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Cook in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Upper Crust Bakery full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly, good place to work

Cons

No set schedule,pop up hours almost every week. No time off. No benefits..

Advice to Management

Benefits would be really nice

5. "ehhh"

Former Employee - Server
    Former Employee - Server

Pros

It was easy work, kind of boring at times.

Cons

Disorganized!! No one really knew what they were doing.

Advice to Management

Know what is actually happening in the store.

"Horrible Place"

Former Employee - Upper Management in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Upper Management in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Upper Crust Bakery (Less than a year)

Pros

If you like to be mistreated, belittled and enjoy acting like a tyrant then look no further this is the place for you. Sign up today they hire people every week.

Cons

UCB was the worst experience in my professional carrier. When I left even though I was unemployed my friends commented that i looked happier than they had ever seen me while I was working there. The owner wanna be European, who's real name isn't what all know him by. Is the worst excuse for a human being I have ever encountered. He treats his shoes better than his employees. As a matter of fact he would say to his managers that he could replace everyone of them and they were no more valuable to him than the cheap BIC pen he was holding.

Advice to Management

CEO should finally retire and let his son take over the company, because theirs only so many people left in the greater phoenix area that don't know about the companies treatment of its employees. But once enough people know then labor will be much more difficult to come by. Its bad enough that the majority of people working in the in this industry our in the phoenix area know what this man is like. Sooner or later the day will come and what used to be a great company in sales will be reduced to a joke.

"Stay Away!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Upper Crust Bakery (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are no pros to working for this company.

Cons

Unethical treatment of current employees and applicants. Zero benefits.

8. "Relaxed and Cooperative Coworkers"

Current Employee - Front Desk in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Front Desk in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Upper Crust Bakery part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team of people to work with. Tips are usually good.

Cons

Sometimes the air conditioning wouldn't work.

"People are the key to any business."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

This privately held company makes high quality products. Senior management has many years experience in baking and is demanding of top quality product from its vendors. Management is very shrewd in negotiations with business suppliers.

Cons

Management does not relate to its employees. Management shows very little respect for employees. Benefits do not include paid sick leave, shifts can be brutally long, and you will be talked down to. At times it boarders on abusive. The culture is very harsh. As an employee you MUST be able to endure biting criticism and almost no praise, if you want to survive or succeed at this company. Training and new employee orientation is non-existent. It is a sink or swim environment. The stress level among the entire facility is extremely high because of this environment.

Advice to Management

All of the senior management should take management courses, specifically on managing people to update their very outdated and abusive management style. Their success is limited because of the lack of respect toward their own employees.