KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Updated Apr 22, 2021

4.4
Upside Business Travel CEO Scott Case
Scott Case
Pros
  • "Fast paced - working with cutting edge technology(in 10 reviews)

• "I was surrounded by smart people working together to solve complex problems in creative ways(in 6 reviews)

• Cons
  • "You need to be able to think and act quickly as it is fast-paced and agile(in 6 reviews)

• "If you are looking for a 9 - 5 job, not the place for you(in 6 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Biggest game changer in my career

Apr 22, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

I paid for my MBA...and then I came to Upside and got paid to learn more about building a company than I did in 2 years of higher-ed. You want to work at Upside if you enjoy solving tough challenges, want to experiment quickly and try new things.

Cons

If you're a perfectionist run away. Upside is not for you. You need to be bold, willing to fail, and resilient enough to dust yourself off and try again here.

Co-Founder & CEO

Thank you for sharing your experience on the team. I am delighted to hear that your time at Upside has been a growth opportunity for you and I expect it will continue to be. You are extremely valuable to us and I appreciate that you invest your time, energy, and knowledge to make Upside awesome!

2. 5.0

A Second Home

Feb 26, 2021 - Product Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

We've been on a rollercoaster along with the rest of the world, so it hasn't been easy - but our executive team has proven time and again that they care about Upsiders as employees as well as people. Upside is the perfect place for those who are looking to work hard, grow and take on new, broader, deeper roles and responsibilities. You are surrounded by achievers who are simultaneously helpful, respectful and kind.

Cons

Nothing out of the ordinary. Friction exists, but typical and at much lower rates than anywhere else I've worked.

Co-Founder & CEO

It is wonderful to hear about your experience at Upside and you are contributing to such a caring team. We want to support people in achieving their growth objectives and having ambitious teammates definitely helps! If there is anything else I, or any of the leadership team, can do to support you, please let me know.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Delight, Crank, Vibe

Feb 12, 2021 - Account Executive in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have been working at Upside for over a year and I can honestly say it's the best place I've ever worked. The company culture and values are at the forefront: Delight (focus on delighting customers with our superior product and service), Crank (work hard and collaborate with team to get stuff done and grow the company), Vibe (the company is extremely employee centric and we vibe with each other that contributes to our success, we have a NO JERK policy). Our CEO is an amazing and inspirational person that gives individual attention to every employee.

Cons

Remote work (I miss the office environment), thanks alot pandemic!

Co-Founder & CEO

I appreciate the positive feedback. It sounds like you really understand and are living Upside's culture. The pandemic certainly challenged everyone's resiliency and I believe our culture has played a big role in getting us to this point. We are lucky to have you adding to what makes Upside a great team!

4. 5.0
      Current Employee

An amazing place to work

Feb 15, 2021 - Senior Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Upside is a wonderful place to work. The leadership team truly cares about us and does everything possible to make sure we are supported and that communication is clear and transparent. I have never worked some place where I felt so empowered and encouraged to balance my work and personal needs. Also, I love the people I work with - everyone is friendly, helpful, and a team player. I feel fortunate to work with such fantastic people!

Cons

Things move fast - not necessarily a con but be ready to go!

Co-Founder & CEO

I am grateful you shared your thoughts here. We recognize that our teammates have lots of demands that all need to be integrated and we encourage leaders and teams to support each other. Thanks for contributing to our success and if there is anything I can do to support you further, please let me know.

5. 5.0

Love working for Upside

Feb 22, 2021 - Talent & Culture Specialist in Delaware, OH
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great work, life balance Understanding, respectful teams Remote Work Wonderful Culture Good communication

Cons

There is really nothing I do not like about Upside.

Co-Founder & CEO

I greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and I am delighted you like what you are working on and the people you do it with. Our team and our culture are the keys to our success! Keep up the great work.

6. 5.0
      Former Employee

Great company to fast forward your development and have fun while doing it

Sep 13, 2020 - Data Science in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

First and foremost, great collaborative culture and talented people Given room to grow where risk taking is encouraged. Transparency is a key cultural tenet - honesty and openness encouraged and demonstrated Modern tech stack to work with Always something new to do Still small enough that you can drive real change

Cons

If you are looking for 100% defined roles that will exist in the same state for 10 years this is probably not for you - priorities change as new information arises

1 person found this review helpful

President

I am so glad to hear that you had such a positive experience at Upside. You are right - the focus on transparency and culture are critical right now, especially with everyone working remotely. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. Best of luck and keep us posted on your next adventure!

7. 2.0
      Former Employee

Ok place for short time

Jan 15, 2021 - Director in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Nice team members and good working relationships

Cons

No clear vision of where company going

2 people found this review helpful

Co-Founder & CEO

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience. I agree - the team members at Upside are a wonderful and kind group. I am sorry the vision for the company's future wasn't clear. We do share our priorities with our daily all-company stand-ups. We also know that 2020 was filled with challenges that required several shifts in strategy to achieve our goals. Our vision remains unchanged, to be the number one place to buy business travel in the world.

8. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Can't beat the culture at Upside!

Jun 11, 2020 - Upside in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people and the culture at Upside are second to none Opportunities for expansion, growth, and learning are clear and available Benefits are solid Work/Life balance is great

Cons

Like any startup environment, there are going to be pivots and fast changes, so buckle up and get ready for the ride!

President

We are delighted to that you had a positive experience during your time at Upside. The people make Upside special and I am incredibly grateful that I get to work with such smart and talented colleagues. Let us know how your next stint goes and if there is anything we can do to support you.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

The best company culture of any company I have worked for

Jul 20, 2019 - Operations in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

The CEO, Chief People Officer, and others on the exec team invest a lot of time and resources in the culture of the company. With great results. As a woman I have been given every opportunity (and the tools) to succeed as anyone else in the company. Good benefits including a very generous allowance for continuing education and training. A smart, fun, hardworking team that is passionate about putting out the best product in the industry. Folks throughout the company are empowered to do their job and make decisions. I find the CEO (Scott) to be super transparent and in general shares a ton of information with the company (there is way more transparency at Upside than any other company I have worked with in the past). If you are a hard worker who produces results, this is a place where you will be given opportunities to take on more responsibilities.

Cons

If you are looking for a 9 - 5 job, not the place for you. This is not a con, but we move at a very fast pace so you need to keep up.

2 people found this review helpful

President

Thanks for the kind words. The culture really is critical and is maintained and improved by every person on the team. We set the foundation and values early - more than three years ago. Thanks for contributing your hard work and energy. Based on some of the more recent reviews here, I'd love for some of your time to make sure we are doing everything we can to support our team mates. Slack me or stop by my desk when you have time.

10. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Startup with lots of resources but some bad turns along the way.

Aug 19, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have worked here for more than two years. Great PTO and benefits. Lots of access to travel industry and acquiring more knowledge everyday; if you want to be a subject matter expert in it you have a front row here to all the travel systems. Working and coding with the latest programming languages and tools. If you count all the snacks and free food as a plus. Transparent company for the most part, just lofty goals.

Cons

Too big for a young startup with young managers. Also the CFO wrote the last review; kind of shows how they aren't transparent about everything. Flight center who recently invested in Upside has too much power for not being the majority stakeholder but Upside could not survive without them. My advice is if you are looking for something long term more than 3 years, this is not it. They are happy if people just stay a year and keep hiring. They also say diversity is important to them but have not seen any major improvements last two years.

4 people found this review helpful

President

Thank you for the detailed feedback. I'm glad you are a fan of the benefits we offer and the ability to work with current technologies. We are transparent about the business and highly protective of our teams privacy - and Glassdoor does the same with the identity of people posting. We're totally good with that and I hope you are too. Our deal with Flight Center is an amazing opportunity to build the company and leverage the partnership to mutual ends. We've been working well together and both parties have done a nice job committing to making it a win-win - which requires each of us to learn and adapt. The average tenured employee for our company is currently 18 months which is decent given we are not yet 4 years old. We expect people to learn and grow here, and sometimes take that knowledge elsewhere in order to continue to level up. All that said, we're delighted to have people re-up and take on new challenges and stay as long as they are excited to stay. We've got a number of colleagues with three gold Upside love marks on their laptops already. I would appreciate the opportunity to chat 1:1 if you want to talk more about any of these things. Feel free to slack or email me s@upside.com.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 68 Reviews