Upwork Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Upwork CEO Stephane Kasriel
Stephane Kasriel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Fun events, free lunch every day, Wed is work from home (in 26 reviews)

• Great work/life balance and vision (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Yes, their decision to merge Elance and odesk was disputable a bit, but I think the company will be better soon (in 7 reviews)

• The company is going through some growing pains as a result of its success (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Upwork full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun loving team. Everyone gets along. Your opinion and ideas are highly valued. Everyone is willing to help. Team is always growing and you are able to explore other opportunities in the company. Plus, because Enterprise is still relatively young you see your work directly impact our success. Not to mention, all of the perks Silicon Valley-based companies offer; Unlimited PTO, catered lunch, remote options, casual dress, etc.

Cons

Upwork's Enterprise organization is relatively young, occasionally you run into the typical growing pains of a start-up, for example not having certain processes and procedures in place. That is all getting better with time.

Advice to Management

Continue to reach out and listen to the team for ideas and feedback.

Upwork Response

Aug 13, 2017 – VP, HR

Thanks for taking the time to share feedback! I completely agree that ENT is critical to our success and your work is directly impacting that. Let me or the rest of the team know how we can... More

2. "The best platform for freelancer."

Current Freelancer - Research Assistant and Methodological Research Professor in Ocoee, FL

I have been working at Upwork (Less than a year)

Pros

I am working with Upwork since august 2016. Until now all my contracts run very well, just one client was a non respecful of my work.

Cons

Some client that try to profit from freelancer work. We have to defend by myself

Advice to Management

Improve and enhance the platform please. We all need it.

3. "They help freelancers"

Current Contractor - Freelance Proofreader
    Current Contractor - Freelance Proofreader

I have been working at Upwork as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

They handle all the business stuff, such as contracts, payment, mediation, so you can focus on your work. They also provide job search capability, such as on Glassdoor itself, to connect freelancers with available freelance gigs.

Cons

Communications system could use some improvement. Some messages from and to clients are delayed in delivery.

"Fast growing, great place to work"

Current Employee - Business Development in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Business Development in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Upwork full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- An incredible work culture at Upwork. Everyone is friendly, works hard and is collaborative, even in a competitive position.
    - Team leadership is strong and there is a good hierarchy in place.
    - Things are moving extremely fast. There are normally 5 new faces in the office every week.
    - Great perks. Free breakfast and lunch, transportation, work online Wednesday, gym subsidy
    - Company mission is inspirational and exciting. This is a disruptive company in terms of traditional ways of getting work done.

Cons

- There is some mismatch of culture alignment between Bay Area and Chicago which I think should be corrected
    - Fast growing is great, but need to separate self from others

Advice to Management

- If MTV and SF are participating in perks, Chicago should be able to do the same. I understand there are different teams, but it's worth trying everything out. I like when Upwork sticks to what they believe in as a company

5. "Fantastic place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Upwork full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are so many things to love about working here... with the new office opening in Chicago, there is a palpable buzz in the office. I love coming here. Visiting San Francisco is also wonderful too. The people are very passionate, mission-driven, smart and talented, and truly care. That comes from the leadership team the people on the front lines.

Cons

We are growing fast, and there is a lot of work to be done. Focusing on the right things at the right times is very important as we grow. I don't see any cons here.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to our customers, keep listening to our front-line employees, and we will do amazing things!

6. "Digital Marketing Specialist"

I have been working at Upwork as a contractor

Pros

Flexibility
    Interesting projects
    Reliable payment
    Networking opportunities
    Useful Filtering for Jobs

Cons

Time invested to create solid profile
    Job scams
    Recurring clients
    Billing cycle

7. "Provide a better platform please"

I have been working at Upwork as a contractor

Pros

Get some clients, earn some extra money.

Cons

Horrible interface.
    Really high fee. *which I wouldn't mind paying if the customer service and interface were amazing.*
    The site is down a lot.
    The rules and regulations are ridiculous, for example if you haven't earned money for 30 days they put your profile / account on private. There is no way around this.
    The notifications are unclear. (this goes back to poor interface) They combine all the notifications in 1 section, it doesn't say what date / time the notification came through and it's hard to keep track of all your invitations to apply for jobs.
    On top of this, they "score" you on how fast you respond to your notifications (messages, invitations) and they put it publicly on your profile.
    Did I mention horrible customer service?

Advice to Management

Fix your website! Hire some real UX people (perhaps not on Upwork??)

8. "Hands UP"

Current Employee - Creative Director in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Creative Director in Madison, WI

I have been working at Upwork full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Everything is a HIT here!

Cons

Nothing seems out of place.

Advice to Management

Great Job

9. "Solid Freelance Site"

Current Contractor - Digital Marketing Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Contractor - Digital Marketing Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Upwork as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

They have a really great platform that is easy to use and understand. They are good at getting back to you with questions. One of the most used freelance sites so you can definitely find work if you have the skills.

Cons

They don't filter the job postings enough (i.e. old job postings are way at the top, can't filter by skills, etc.) Take a lot of money out of each project - 20%!

Advice to Management

Work on the job filters!

"Great 21st Century Company To Work For!"

Current Employee - Assistant
    Current Employee - Assistant

I have been working at Upwork part-time

Pros

Very flexible and understanding. All employees are very kind, nice and helpful.

Cons

I wish there were perks for part time workers. Also, it seems part time workers aren't a great asset for idea's, growth or promotions. It seems part time workers are underappreciated. Especially, if the part time workers has advanced degrees, skills and knowledge to grow the company.

Advice to Management

Upwork honors and respects the employee's and offers many privileges, perks, benefits and the list goes on. I wish Upwork would appreciate it's part time workers as well.