Upwork Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Upwork CEO Stephane Kasriel
Stephane Kasriel

Pros
  • Awesome matrix organization - 100% work from home (in 51 reviews)

• Great work/life balance and vision (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Upwork takes a lot of money from writers and also has many low paying jobs (in 18 reviews)

• job-success-score is very unfair (in 9 reviews)

1. "Good experience for a side job or a hobby. Not recommended for a full job"

Current Contractor - Freelance Writer in Mountain Home, AR
    Current Contractor - Freelance Writer in Mountain Home, AR

I have been working at Upwork as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

You don't have to look too hard to find jobs. You'd always find a job perfect for you. I looked for writing related work and there were many offers with a decent pay.

Cons

Not many. Except it can only be extra work. You can't make this your primary work.

2. "Great for planning your own schedule"

Current Contractor - Freelance Writer in Chicago, IL
    Current Contractor - Freelance Writer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Upwork as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

I love having the ability to apply and interview potential clients while they interview me. It's nice to be able to find the right projects that fit with your talents and schedule.

Cons

Upwork, being a business, does take a percentage of the rates you give your clients, so you need to make sure you're pricing everything accordingly.

3. "My Experience with Upwork"

Current Freelancer - Freelance Graphic Designer, Freelance Writer in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Upwork (More than a year)

Pros

Very easy to use, almost completely user-based, tons of options for freelancers of any occupation.

Cons

Difficult to get hired when new to the site, even with previous experience in your occupation.

Advice to Management

The management is great, they keep the site running well, it's just a matter of getting hired and doing a good job.

5. "A good company"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Upwork full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly tech teams. Interesting works

Cons

Products release can be chaotic

"The worst community ever"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

I can not say anything positive for this community

Cons

Many but the worst one is that they protect scammers. For every scammer some freelancers consequences. Scammers are potential clients someone who maybe sometimes will pay for something.

Advice to Management

This is one of the most violent communities I ever have opportunity to see. So rude, offensive and abusing behavior by their `community gurus`. Keep far from them!

7. "Best place to get work online"

Current Freelancer - Web/Graphic Designer in New York, NY
    Current Freelancer - Web/Graphic Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at Upwork (More than 5 years)

Pros

Exclusive network, 1000's of opportunities, very professional user interface

Cons

Too much fees, portfolio feature isn't good for graphic designer

Advice to Management

please improve portfolio feature and add more categories for creative designers.

"Two Things, Be the Best and Be Ready to Work for Pennies"

Current Freelancer - Web Developer in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Freelancer - Web Developer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Upwork (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of jobs offers and opportunities.

Cons

*Fierce competition.
    * Make sure you make them money or else they will suspend your account..
    *They will question your skill sets and ask for documentation to back them up and back up your identity but a quick 1 minute search will yield you with many Middle Eastern Companies posing as a single Freelancer.
    *They severely warned you not to use Skype but they gladly use Skype to verify your ID.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring dumb personnel who's response are always taken from some standardize book that truly helps no one.
    Here you got some examples:

The context is that I submitted plenty of proposals and after 5 months of working for scrubs I finally manage to get two clients for a long term position of >6 months and then Upwork suspends my account on the grounds of having posted too many proposals and not making them money thus determining that my skills are not relevant to their company. I appealed to their decision and even ask if I were able to at least get a contract with any of my clients and their which only took about 30 minutes was:

"We know this is not the news you wanted to receive, however at this point the appeal process is exhausted and our decision is final. If you have any open contracts you will be able to complete that work and receive payment through our site. You will not be able to submit proposals for new contracts, however.
    We wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors. Please note that it is unlikely that we will respond to any future correspondence regarding this matter."

Which really means, feel free to get paid through us because we'll happily take 20% of your earnings regardless of how useless we believe your skill sets are or why else would we have suspended your account, and guess what you can't do anything because we won't reply to you anymore.

"Scam Company"

Current Freelancer - Translator in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Freelancer - Translator in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Upwork (Less than a year)

Pros

Worked until their payment protection plan turned out to be a total scam. Shameless company.

Cons

This company is a fraud. After working on it for 3 months and earning them a sizable commission on all my projects, they froze my account saying that a client I got through their platform was fraudulent and that I had to reimburse the money HE didn't pay them. This is after I submitted my work and they green lighted the project. They stole all the money left on my account and tried to get me to refund them the rest. How is the freelancer supposed to be responsible for their poor client vetting systems? Criminal, a scam, worst than Craigslist.

Advice to Management

Quit.

10. "Great Freelancing Plattform"

Current Freelancer - SEO Specialist in Saint Augustine, FL
    Current Freelancer - SEO Specialist in Saint Augustine, FL

I have been working at Upwork (More than a year)

Pros

super reliable payments, tons of projects you can apply to

Cons

Hard to start out as a newbie, the new commision system takes 20% out of the first 500$ earned from one customer, this discourages taking on small projects, time tracking app can be really slow to react at times

"High fees and inaccurate ratings..."

Current Freelancer - Freelance Writer in Remote, OR
    Current Freelancer - Freelance Writer in Remote, OR

I have been working at Upwork (More than a year)

Pros

They secure payment for you

Cons

-20% fee plus an extra dollar every time you pull your funds.
    -An inaccurate job success rating that is based on information you cannot dispute or correct. You could find yourself at the mercy of a secretive rating system in spite of providing quality work on time. Subsequently, the low ratign will keep you from getting jobs.
    -Slave labor rates.

Advice to Management

Give freelancers a fair recourse and ability to fix the score.